Expressions used on the internet that drive you nuts

No.....Stating your opinion doesn't mean that it is factual or absolute to anyone.....it's just naturally your opinion.......no need to qualify it any further. What don't people get about that & why the need to soften their opinion by adding disclaimers.........It's just fucking weak!
There's nothing wrong with explicitly stating that it's only an opinion. I've seen that prevent more than one pointless Internet argument. If doing that is a weakness, then that weakness is pretty low on my list of objectionable Internet behavior. At least half of the mudslinging on the web comes from people trying to prove that they're not weak.

The simple "WTF" kinda gives away A LOT about that person most of the time to me...

And included is ALL that kind of language that these mind controlled people will use to unknowingly signal that they desperately wanna belong in some group that is considered "cool", etc.

"YMMV" ;)

i don't think this is a term that's overused as much as general over-exaggeration is at ridiculous levels. I love food, love to cook, consider myself a fairly educated foodie, been to many nice restaurants owned and ran by famous chefs....but if I hear one more person refer to an item of food as "life-changing" or "to die for" or ....i mean come on, lol.

we live in an age of hyperbole...
I agree with you, but I must say, though, that the expression "this is game-changing" is funny in all its seriousness.

People using curse words or yelling in their posts in order to validate their point. I personally can't take it seriously no matter what the content is. The 'over-emphasis' created in the words invariably diminishes any real sense of wisdom or insight trying to be conveyed. Doesn't drive me nuts, it just weakens or dumbs down any intelligent debate. Its a crutch that never conveys 'strength' in a debate.

That said, I think the comics do it best. Curse words can be funny as hell! :lol George Carlin or Richard Pryor know the proper use of cursing....and Sam of course.

Reactions: Rex
I have a problem with the weak ass folks who feel the need to put IMHO & YMMV after everything they say.

State your fucking opinion & don't feel the need to couch it with some weak ass politically correct bullshit!
I'm going to disagree with this one. Sometimes I am stating an opinion. Big difference between that and fact I want to make sure that people understand that; especially on the internet where you only have text to communicate. I mean communication is like 80% non-verbal so a lot is lost. I think that it creates a hell of a lot of confusion and leads to a large portion of the pissing contests about stupid crap.

My singular pet peeve is just saying shit that is wrong as if it was absolute fact. I hate it when people use opinion or taste as absolutes about subjective matters, i.e., tone. How many times have you stripped down a great song to the just the guitar part and realized that the "tone" that makes that track great sounds like ass on it's own? It's all about the mix and the entire product. And yes I hate gear bashing of any kind unless it's something that just doesn't work. Even worse is when someone gets obsessed to the point that shit that they own somehow defines them or makes them superior and it comes from both ends of the spectrum. People who spend money on gear look down on people who have less and people who have less love to tell people that pay more for something that they are wasting their money. Then they try to say that there is no difference.

At the end of the day I couldn't give a shit less what you play through or how you sound, what you spend on gear or how you feel about my tone or what I spent. If what I do makes you miserable than that's your problem. If I let it bother me than it's my problem and I have better things to get irritated over so I tend to ignore it.

The phrase, "it is what it is"' as a way of explaining away something poorly executed. I'll tell you what it is-CRAP.

Anything intentionally spelled incorrectly to be "cool" or "funny" is the pinnacle of obnoxious. Tonez, vidya, vidz, brootal, gitar, etc.

yes exactly!

i pluggd teh gtr into teh axe n cant get teh brootalz tonez i was expecting... wtf is going on?!?:evil
I think a lot of people forget that even though we're online, you still need to carry yourself a certain way.

OT: what really annoys me OFFLINE at the moment is guys that wear scarves as a fashion accessory. The weather is hot in Sydney at the moment and this problem is rife!

I'm going to disagree with this one. Sometimes I am stating an opinion. Big difference between that and fact I want to make sure that people understand that; especially on the internet where you only have text to communicate. I mean communication is like 80% non-verbal so a lot is lost. I think that it creates a hell of a lot of confusion and leads to a large portion of the pissing contests about stupid crap.

My singular pet peeve is just saying shit that is wrong as if it was absolute fact. I hate it when people use opinion or taste as absolutes about subjective matters, i.e., tone. How many times have you stripped down a great song to the just the guitar part and realized that the "tone" that makes that track great sounds like ass on it's own? It's all about the mix and the entire product. And yes I hate gear bashing of any kind unless it's something that just doesn't work. Even worse is when someone gets obsessed to the point that shit that they own somehow defines them or makes them superior and it comes from both ends of the spectrum. People who spend money on gear look down on people who have less and people who have less love to tell people that pay more for something that they are wasting their money. Then they try to say that there is no difference.

At the end of the day I couldn't give a shit less what you play through or how you sound, what you spend on gear or how you feel about my tone or what I spent. If what I do makes you miserable than that's your problem. If I let it bother me than it's my problem and I have better things to get irritated over so I tend to ignore it. YMMV and IMHO

Fixed :lol

"Pic's or it didn't happen"
"woot"
"l33t"
"pwnd"
"your point is moot"

and pretty much every single time someone on a forum uses a bunch of acronym's that only make sense to a select few. (shop talk in a public forum...)

Additionally, when you have a debate with someone else on a forum, and they declare you must prove your opinion in order for it to be valid, yet they are not required to prove their opinion because they "know" what they are talking about.........

pet peeve #1... guys that post the same 10 pictures of their past glory days over and over and act like they are still the hottest thing since pepper, yet haven't done anything for years.

pet peeve #2... whenever a female guitarist is involved it's always about her boobs... or something sexual, it's quite appalling in my opinion.

Anything that is abbreviated too much. I've seen af does that mean a fuck? like seriously. I'ts not that hard to type the rest of the word haha.

"
pet peeve #2... whenever a female guitarist is involved it's always about her boobs... or something sexual, it's quite appalling in my opinion.

It makes me sad, because this will never ever change, at least until the world enters a nuclear winter and the survivors will be playing their guitars in radiation suits... actually, no, it will never change.

yep sometimes the girls buy into it.. she really rocks on the guitar though, so I guess she can do whatever she likes.

Oh and don't forget how women act around male yoga instructors.. its not totally one sided

Not just the internet but also on TV. Every time I hear some knuckle dragging jock turned announcer say that a team controls its own destiny I feel like screaming.

If a thing is destined to happen no one can change its final outcome.

Back
Top Bottom