Expressions used on the internet that drive you nuts

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I can't stand it when people go on and review one of their purchases and then add "I couldn't be happier".
really? this is it?
you couldn't be happier???
"I am very pleased with my purchase" or something to that effect makes so much more sense.
"I couldn't be happier" just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself, at least IMO.

Not sure if this is a global thing but whenever someone hears news they've heard before (one minute before even) they'll say: "old news".......... can't stand it!!

Also on this forum: "that amp in the room sound" and misuse of term "3D". :D

I can't stand it when people go on and review one of their purchases and then add "I couldn't be happier".
really? this is it?
you couldn't be happier???
"I am very pleased with my purchase" or something to that effect makes so much more sense.
"I couldn't be happier" just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself, at least IMO.

i don't think this is a term that's overused as much as general over-exaggeration is at ridiculous levels. I love food, love to cook, consider myself a fairly educated foodie, been to many nice restaurants owned and ran by famous chefs....but if I hear one more person refer to an item of food as "life-changing" or "to die for" or ....i mean come on, lol.

we live in an age of hyperbole...

For me, what drives me nuts is when grown-ups post using "social media" shorcuts that are associated with 12-year-olds raised in on-line chats. Sh!t like "U" instead of "you" and "UR" instead of "your" or "you're". Even the most common ones, like "I lol'ed when I read your post" irritate me to some extent.

The ability to read and write proper English is rapidly eroding, and that's not a good thing (and English isn't even my primary language!)

Also on this forum: "that amp in the room sound" and misuse of term "3D". :D

So what does "that amp in the room sound" mean. I always assumed it meant the sound you get standing or sitting in the room next to your amp as opposed to listening to it miced up from a control room through studio monitors.

Is it something different than that?

I really am curious.

Well... people keep saying that CLIPS sound "in the room" or "3D". Unless someone grew a third ear they can only hear in stereo on headphones or two speakers. Subwoofer is a mono center so doesn't count. :) And... the "amp in the room" thing is just something that everyone is saying too much. Also "dynamics" when most don't know what transients are. :D

Nah... I love you guys. Keep it up!

Not sure about internet usage, but my two most hated phases are:

"Catch as catch can"

and

"Sitting in the catbird seat"

I HATE them. HATE HATE HATE!!!!!

Well I couldn't be happier. It may be old news, but my amp in the room sound is properly 3D. It's life-changing, or rather, a tone to die for.

U have to believe that UR able to achieve it too - I lol'ed when I struck it!

I know that this discovery won't annoy anyone that I can think of and that's because it's a catch as catch can scenario - or sitting in the catbird seat if you will.

#gotcha :D

Well I couldn't be happier. It may be old news, but my amp in the room sound is properly 3D. It's life-changing, or rather, a tone to die for.

U have to believe that UR able to achieve it too - I lol'ed when I struck it!

I know that this discovery won't annoy anyone that I can think of and that's because it's a catch as catch can scenario - or sitting in the catbird seat if you will.

#gotcha :D

#pwned

What is pointless to me when discussing tone (audio forums) are phrases like 'blows 'XXX' out of the water'. Often seen when people are comparing two very high end products or two VERY similar products. Any generalizations along those lines is really just a sign of 1. Posturing 2. Lack of real-life experience 3. The attempt to become validated by one 'opinion' or 'purchase' choice.

Also pointless: Comparing guitar players. Comparing 'tone'. Comparing generalities, comparing your preference over another.

Also pointless: Gear bashing of any kind.

Also pointless: Gear 'over praise' or shortsighted-ness. Often seen when discussing cheap gear or Asian vs. USA gear. Also forum 'regulars' that won't accept any shortcomings of the gear in question, not even for constructive purposes.
Over the past decade the term 'fanboy' was coined to categorize the behavior. But I do not think that is accurate. You can be a 'fan' and not be lopsided in your perception.

These things do not drive me nuts per se, but they are literally pointless and take up so much valuable time on a forum. I have found that in my 15 years on Audio forums, these statements are generally not heard from working professionals.

Also pointless: Gear 'over praise' or shortsighted-ness. Often seen when discussing cheap gear or Asian vs. USA gear (Which is better/worse). Also (Gear) forum 'regulars' that won't accept any shortcomings of the gear in question, not even for constructive purposes.

Over the past decade the term 'fanboy' was coined to categorize the behavior. But I do not think that is accurate. You can be a 'fan' and not be lopsided in your perception.
BTW, for clarification this includes, any gear. Pickups, Guitars, Amps, Pedals, Compressors, Pre-amps, Monitors, Interfaces, Converters, Keyboards etc..

can't say i worry about any of it, it's only the internet after all.
keep seeing an expression written as "i could care less", which is nonsense - as obviously the saying should be "i couldn't care less".
that about sums it up for me :)

"organic" guitar sound. that's a strange one which is very common on guitar threads. still don't get what they mean by that :/

Back
Top Bottom