Expression pedals

My new unit should be here in a few days. I have the MFC-101 also. I plan to have 1 expression solely for volume, 1 for wah/wammy, and 1 or 2 for other control (effects depth,etc). Which expression pedsl are recommended? I assume there may be different recommendations for wah than there would be for volume, etc.

Moved to the proper forum. Poke around here. It will be pure personal choice.

I use Boss FV500LV because I can drop them off a building and they'll still work.

i would think that using a crybaby styled pedal would be a bit weird to use to control volume. it doesn't seem like there would be enough travel when you compare it to an ernie ball volume pedal. am i wrong?

Does this work with axe and ground control?
Pigtronix Dual Expression Pedal | GuitarCenter

And what cable(s) do I need to the ground control?

When you use a expression pedal with the axe, must there be a wah block in each preset you want to use the pedal with?

If that, it sound more easy tro use an ordinary wah pedal between the guitar and the axe?

Last edited:
Anyone.
I want to order this in the same order as something else from US.
One expression pedal that can be used as wah and volume?
The one thing I don?t understand is how it works, must there be a wah block in each preset I want to use wah on?

Now I use a ordinary crybaby pedal between the guitar and axe and it works ok regardsless of the presets

The Boss FV500 is my favourite. Invincible, easy to adjust tension, and looks like a spacecraft. I have some mission pedals too, but prefer the boss.

There's no reason to use the Pigtronix instead of a single-output expression pedal if you're only controlling the Axe-FX. Having a second output doesn't add any options because one pedal/CC can already be assigned to multiple things. Wah block will need to be in the preset if you want to use it.

Can you explain a little more about what you mean by phantom power in this sense? Most expression pedals are passive, they do not require power. You'll just need a TRS cable to connect the expression pedal out to the MFC pedal input. Mission.

I'm using the inexpensive Roland EV-5. It seems to work fine.

I currently use one of these EV-5's and need to replace it. I bought it quick to try out the axe when I first got it. Then I bought a mission spring loaded pedal and saw how SLOW the EV-5 responds! Maybe it's supposed to respond this way but the mission is far quicker and the sound quality difference in the wah between these two expression pedals was very clear. If you open up the wah to see the modifier curve, you can see how the dot moves slowly along the line wit a delay. The mission is spot on. EV-5 stinks in my book.

I ment power through the Ground control pro in my case. Which get power through the axe.
Keg8605 , which Mission pedal did you buy? And can be used as wah AND volume or just wah? Which cables do I need to connect it to the ground control?
It`s doesn`t matter if I got the MFC or ground control pro?

I currently use one of these EV-5's and need to replace it. I bought it quick to try out the axe when I first got it. Then I bought a mission spring loaded pedal and saw how SLOW the EV-5 responds! Maybe it's supposed to respond this way but the mission is far quicker and the sound quality difference in the wah between these two expression pedals was very clear. If you open up the wah to see the modifier curve, you can see how the dot moves slowly along the line wit a delay. The mission is spot on. EV-5 stinks in my book.

Interesting. An expression pedal is really just a linear pot. I'm not sure what the values of the pots are in the various units. I could see a larger value pot maybe being slower to respond to changes, but I would think that once it is calibrated to the Axe, 1/2 sweep is 1/2 sweep, if you know what I mean. Maybe the pots in the EV-5 aren't as linear as they should be. I'll have to do some measuring tonight....

I ment power through the Ground control pro in my case. Which get power through the axe.
Keg8605 , which Mission pedal did you buy? And can be used as wah AND volume or just wah? Which cables do I need to connect it to the ground control?
It`s doesn`t matter if I got the MFC or ground control pro?

If my memory serves correct, the Ground Control Pro can be powered via 7 pin midi or maybe a special cable? I'm sure through a search on the forum you can find out.

I bought the mission SP1-LF with the spring load. LF stands for Liquid Foot which is the controller I use. It was like night and day from the EV-5 to the Mission. Not sure about the Boss pedal though. Looks like a lot of people here use that so I may have to replace the EV-5 with that. Edit: I use the mission mostly as a wah and sometimes a whammy. The EV-5 I've used for Volume and Whammy too. You can use it as whatever you want. With the switch option you can switch between or engage a boost or whatever.

Phostenix, I really do wonder why it had such a delay. Its hard to explain but you know the dot which shows the current position of the pedal? You would move your foot and then see it a few milliseconds later or something. The dot almost disappears with the mission pedal because it is responding so fast.

The Boss FV500 is my favourite. Invincible, easy to adjust tension, and looks like a spacecraft. I have some mission pedals too, but prefer the boss.

Can you tell me which one (Mission or Boss) has the greatest range of motion ? …or are they about the same ?

i would think that using a crybaby styled pedal would be a bit weird to use to control volume. it doesn't seem like there would be enough travel when you compare it to an ernie ball volume pedal. am i wrong?

Depends on the user I guess. I've got one more like the EB lying around that I don't use. Partly because it's fairly cheap and rubbish and I have two Mission pedals to use anyway, but also because I'm more comfortable on the wah-styled pedals, even for volume work.

I tried three exp pedals on my board. They just fit on there, but then it was pretty much impossible to use with boots on. :lol

SP1-LF with the spring load is only for Liquid Foot?
The site I`m buying from
Pigtronix Dual Expression Pedal | GuitarCenter
got this pedal, Mission, but which is that. can`t find it on the manufactors site:
The mission pedals

And is there a link to the correct cables on the guiatrcenter site?

If my memory serves correct, the Ground Control Pro can be powered via 7 pin midi or maybe a special cable? I'm sure through a search on the forum you can find out.

I bought the mission SP1-LF with the spring load. LF stands for Liquid Foot which is the controller I use. It was like night and day from the EV-5 to the Mission. Not sure about the Boss pedal though. Looks like a lot of people here use that so I may have to replace the EV-5 with that. Edit: I use the mission mostly as a wah and sometimes a whammy. The EV-5 I've used for Volume and Whammy too. You can use it as whatever you want. With the switch option you can switch between or engage a boost or whatever.

Phostenix, I really do wonder why it had such a delay. Its hard to explain but you know the dot which shows the current position of the pedal? You would move your foot and then see it a few milliseconds later or something. The dot almost disappears with the mission pedal because it is responding so fast.

Back
Top Bottom