1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

    Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Expression Pedals

Discussion in 'MFC Discussion' started by AxeManBrill, Mar 28, 2018.

  1. AxeManBrill

    AxeManBrill
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2013
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hey All,

    What are you using for expression pedals, and why? I currently have an Ernie Ball regular volume pedal I use as an express/volume pedal with my MFC, and a Rocktron Hex I use as expression for things like wah. I have the Hex set up with auto engage for wah. I also JB Weld'd a spring to the underside to it stays heel down when not in use. I've had problems with it rocking forward to the vibrations of the stage, the spring forces it heel down, and to stay down. I like the Hex cause it looks like a crybaby, which is my preferred wah. I have noticed sometimes my wah sounds digitized, I don't know if that's my config with my Hex, or how the gearing is on the Hex.

    I've always used Ernie Ball volume pedals as a volume pedal, so that's what I continued to use with my MFC. I have noticed though, when I set it up as a volume, it isn't a true volume pedal, like the first 10% of travel I hear a difference in volume, but then the remainder 90% of travel it doesn't have much change. I have a feeling this is due to an audio pot installed and not a linear pot in the pedal. So thinking of switching to the EV-1, cause it's linear, and matching Fractal to Fractal.

    So what do you use, and thoughts on what you have? How do you suggest I change/modify my setup?
     
  2. squealie

    squealie
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Messages:
    252
    Likes Received:
    89
    I have Fractal EV-1, the giant BOSS one and a Mission SP-1.
    I love the Fractal. The BOSS one is cool too. I've had trouble with the Mission, but it does feel like a crybaby if that's what youre after. I didnt start wah-ing until after MIDI so I couldnt care less about that.
     
  3. AndyOrr

    AndyOrr
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2011
    Messages:
    242
    Likes Received:
    179
    Location:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    I hàve both Fractal and BOSS FV500. They work equally well. I haven't had any of the problems you described with sensitivity or sweep. They both have worked well as volume, wah and whammy.

    The Fractal is slightly smaller form factor and a more sleek design. The BOSS is bigger and built like a tank. Both are tour grade quality.
     
  4. trancegodz

    trancegodz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2011
    Messages:
    937
    Likes Received:
    343
    Make sure you calibrate your expression pedal.



    I use three Roland EV-5 pedals. They work great. I got them before Fractal started making expression pedals.
    I use one as a volume pedal on all the time, one as a wah pedal set up to auto engage, and the third one that I usually have set to where it is only on if I step on a certain effect. I use that for either whammy, leslie speed, or controlling the flanger, or delay, reverb, etc.
    There are tons of ways you can use them depending on what you need to do. Dweezil Zappa uses his in some creative ways.
     
  5. Sonofiam

    Sonofiam
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2015
    Messages:
    1,008
    Likes Received:
    574
    I have a Mission SP-2, basically a 2-in-1 expression pedal, so I can use the same pedal for volume control and wah (or whatever other function is needed). Not in production anymore but the SP-1 can be modded to work the same way.
     
  6. lqdsnddist

    lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,133
    Likes Received:
    2,980
    Your EB has an audio taper pot, you ideally want a linear pot. It’s an easy swap and lets you keep the nice EB size and pedal travel

    Threads on the net show how to DIY a new pot, cost about $7 in parts
     

Share This Page