Expression Pedals

Hey All,

What are you using for expression pedals, and why? I currently have an Ernie Ball regular volume pedal I use as an express/volume pedal with my MFC, and a Rocktron Hex I use as expression for things like wah. I have the Hex set up with auto engage for wah. I also JB Weld'd a spring to the underside to it stays heel down when not in use. I've had problems with it rocking forward to the vibrations of the stage, the spring forces it heel down, and to stay down. I like the Hex cause it looks like a crybaby, which is my preferred wah. I have noticed sometimes my wah sounds digitized, I don't know if that's my config with my Hex, or how the gearing is on the Hex.

I've always used Ernie Ball volume pedals as a volume pedal, so that's what I continued to use with my MFC. I have noticed though, when I set it up as a volume, it isn't a true volume pedal, like the first 10% of travel I hear a difference in volume, but then the remainder 90% of travel it doesn't have much change. I have a feeling this is due to an audio pot installed and not a linear pot in the pedal. So thinking of switching to the EV-1, cause it's linear, and matching Fractal to Fractal.

So what do you use, and thoughts on what you have? How do you suggest I change/modify my setup?

I have Fractal EV-1, the giant BOSS one and a Mission SP-1.
I love the Fractal. The BOSS one is cool too. I've had trouble with the Mission, but it does feel like a crybaby if that's what youre after. I didnt start wah-ing until after MIDI so I couldnt care less about that.

I hàve both Fractal and BOSS FV500. They work equally well. I haven't had any of the problems you described with sensitivity or sweep. They both have worked well as volume, wah and whammy.

The Fractal is slightly smaller form factor and a more sleek design. The BOSS is bigger and built like a tank. Both are tour grade quality.

Make sure you calibrate your expression pedal.

I use three Roland EV-5 pedals. They work great. I got them before Fractal started making expression pedals.
I use one as a volume pedal on all the time, one as a wah pedal set up to auto engage, and the third one that I usually have set to where it is only on if I step on a certain effect. I use that for either whammy, leslie speed, or controlling the flanger, or delay, reverb, etc.
There are tons of ways you can use them depending on what you need to do. Dweezil Zappa uses his in some creative ways.

I have a Mission SP-2, basically a 2-in-1 expression pedal, so I can use the same pedal for volume control and wah (or whatever other function is needed). Not in production anymore but the SP-1 can be modded to work the same way.

Your EB has an audio taper pot, you ideally want a linear pot. It’s an easy swap and lets you keep the nice EB size and pedal travel

Threads on the net show how to DIY a new pot, cost about $7 in parts

I have a Mission SP-2, basically a 2-in-1 expression pedal, so I can use the same pedal for volume control and wah (or whatever other function is needed). Not in production anymore but the SP-1 can be modded to work the same way.
How can I modify an SP-1?

How can I modify an SP-1?
Changing the wiring from the switch to the jacks. Here's what I posted in another thread
sp2-conversion-png.46380

upload_2018-4-21_18-42-21-png.46381

Back
Top Bottom