Expression pedals are out of whack after updating to FW 19.00

USMC_Trev

Axe-Master
After updating to FW 19.00, all my expression pedals went from acting right to on/off at the top and bottom, respectively. What do I need to do to get them back on track?

I first noticed when I went to use a previously trusty vol/pan block for volume. Normally I do just use that one to signal on/off, but I was fixin' to work a volume swell idea and, well, yeah. There was no position in between 1 and 100%.

I have no idea what happened and where.

2 pedals, connected to Axe-FX pedal ports? A guess then would be the pedal type parameters got set to latching instead of continuous.

It might be a long shot but do you have the volume block engaged? I'm asking because this also happened to me a couple of months ago (my own fault though) - IIRC it was because the block that the exp. pedal controlled was already engaged + the modifier was set to autoengage. For volume swells keep the volume block bypassed and set the modifier to autoengage - that should fix it.

/Martin

All four pedals are connected to the MFC-101 expression slots. I made no changes to the MFC-101.

The volume blocks and wah pedals were active in each case. Autoengage was not set.

I didn't make any changes to the MFC or those blocks and they were working fine before the update.

IIRC there were some problems in the 19 betas that turning off and Reselecting the Modifier fixed ? Worth a try .

Yeah working on all the throws an cals now. I'll let you all know how it goes.

ok let us know. Haven't updated yet but hope I don't get problems with my expression pedals after updating since I rely on the them for all my presets.

Hmmm - I've noticed my wah blocks (controlled by expression pedal set to auto on/off) turning on automatically since 19 and the betas. As soon as a select the preset the block is on when it's saved with the block off. I presumed it was user error and haven't really had time to look into it yet but maybe there is an issue...

Here's what I noticed starting with v19 beta2 or beta 3:
When I was at home practicing but I only connected my midi controller and NOT the expression pedals, the auto engage activated the Wah. If the expression pedal was connected it was fine. So with the expression pedals disconnected i shut off the Wah and saved the preset. Problem solved.

Here's what I noticed starting with v19 beta2 or beta 3:
When I was at home practicing but I only connected my midi controller and NOT the expression pedals, the auto engage activated the Wah. If the expression pedal was connected it was fine. So with the expression pedals disconnected i shut off the Wah and saved the preset. Problem solved.

That's probably the workaround. I realize now that I had the same state - blocks showing up as active and not bypassed. I think it's just time for some good old fashioned spring cleaning. Gonna just shitcan all my presets can start fresh with new blocks and errythang. It's not like I was married to any of them anyway.

There is definitely something screwy here. Ext 1 is always showing max value whatever I do with the pedal. Pedal seems to work fine as I've just tested it on something else. No MIDI controller connected. Also shows max value when nothing's connected. I have tried calibrating the pedal.

Looks like I might have to contact support...

Thanks Clif. It was set to continuous.

I did contact support who responded very promptly. In the end I've managed to solve the issue by some random turning on/off, unplugging of cables and resetting of pedal parameters. Not sure what the problem was but it seems resolved now!

I did contact support who responded very promptly. In the end I've managed to solve the issue by some random turning on/off, unplugging of cables and resetting of pedal parameters. Not sure what the problem was but it seems resolved now!

Is this a individual case? or does it have to with the FW19 update and do more people have this? Did have have manually reset all expression pedal settings for each preset or was it a global thing? Curious what support said.
I am about to update but these sort of things always scare me.

Is this a individual case? or does it have to with the FW19 update and do more people have this? Did have have manually reset all expression pedal settings for each preset or was it a global thing? Curious what support said.
I am about to update but these sort of things always scare me.

Support didn't say anything very much - they began taking me through some troubleshooting but in the process of doing that and just trying some other stuff in an attempt to isolate the issue the problem righted itself. I don't think think this is a general problem otherwise more people would be complaining about it, seems to be something that's affected a few people though. I am always prepared to accept it was 'user error' but I really don't think it was in this case as all the settings I got told to check were set 'correctly'.

cheers

I also had/have some issues with pedals and 19, but Im not sure just exactly what it is/was. Recalibrating the EXT 1-4 Mission pedals on the MFC-101 helped some, but going from the Axe FX II to the Axe FX II XL+ (and 19 firmware) is where I immediately noticed what I call a "stepping" tone when I activated the wah wah set to auto engage. Instead of a smooth tone transition from low to high (heel down to heel up) it would "jerk" upwards or downwards (heel up to heel down) in tone like pitch stepping. I hope this makes sense. I even changed out (swapped Mission pedals) and noticed it. Anyway its better than it was now (after recal of the pedals with the XL+) and may just be me knee jerking , but it just doesn't seem as fluid or smooth as before. Not to take over the thread but Any ideas on this or has anyone noticed this too?

Interesting. I'm running an expression pedal directly into the Axe Fx and had a go to preset of mine exhibit strange behavior after updating to 19. Preset has a Wah block set to auto engage with the pedal. Whenever I called up the preset the Wah was already on in a cocked wah sort of way. If I used the pedal and returned to zero it would disengage, and act like normal until I called up the patch again.

Tried recalibrating with no difference . Finally went to the preset,cycled the expression pedal and left it in a disengaged/bypass status and re-saved the preset. Seems to have solved the problem. I haven't had any trouble since.

Back
Top Bottom