Expression Pedal

Rock Mixer

So now that I have the AX8 I am thinking expression pedals. I probably want to have 2.
One for wah and one for volume or fx volume. The Fractal EV1 looks nice. $178 shipped to my door, so not the cheapest, but I am sure it is super quality. Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for expression pedals. While we are at it, what about extra foot switches?
Thanks!

EV1 is way too big, IMHO, EV2 is a better size.

They also have too much travel for wah, and the sweep and foot position feels "wrong" for someone like myself who has grown used to what a Crybaby/Vox style housing feels like. As such, I think Mission pedals work a lot better for wah, as they have the same sweep and angle as I'm used to, not to mention the really cool spring loaded option for auto engage.

These are all just my own personal opinions, so only as "right" or "wrong" as it pertains to my taste, but I'd say go EV2 and a Mission EP1 with spring loaded option and you should be pretty happy

EV-2, Great size, sturdy, excellent sweep, also stays where I leave it. I use it as an expression pedal for the Multi-Tap Mix Level, so I can throw in a wash of reverb, to massive ambiance or heel down with nothing at all.

I have the Mission SP-2, no longer in production, but it's a dual expression pedal that allows the same functionality of most multi-effects units with a built in expression pedal. If you need 2 pedals I'd recommend it if you can find one. The SP-1 can be modified to work just like it if you're handy with a soldering iron. The sweep was pretty easy to get used for volume swells and I actually prefer it now over the Ernie Ball volume on my other board, .

Probably due to my history with other pedals, the Mission pedals feel most natural to me. They feel like a CryBaby wah. I have several, an SP-2, SP-1, and an EP-1. All good pedals that are roadworthy. I have a Fractal EV-2 that I love the size of, and it works great, but the throw of the pedal does feel a little different. Again, mostly just because I am not used to it, but it works great and I have gigged with it with no problems at all. I also have a coulee of cheap plastic pedals (I don't recall the brand) that I wouldn't gig with, but they work just fine at home.

Tons of options out there. One big plus for using the FAS pedals is that you'll get the customer service. I have not had that level of service from any of the other makers.

I have the Mission SP-2, no longer in production, but it's a dual expression pedal that allows the same functionality of most multi-effects units with a built in expression pedal. If you need 2 pedals I'd recommend it if you can find one. The SP-1 can be modified to work just like it if you're handy with a soldering iron. The sweep was pretty easy to get used for volume swells and I actually prefer it now over the Ernie Ball volume on my other board, .

What mods need to be made to convert a SP1 into a SP2? I’d love to convey mine.

Ev1 is my fav. I have an Ev2 for my traveling/back up set up. I modded my Ev1 with a toe switch to have it work as a wah. It is not what ppl are used too for wah but I love it

I use the Fractal EV-1 for my expression pedal. Never had any problem with it. Built like a tank. VERY smooth throw. Best pedal I have ever had.

EV1 is way too big, IMHO, EV2 is a better size.

They also have too much travel for wah, and the sweep and foot position feels "wrong" for someone like myself who has grown used to what a Crybaby/Vox style housing feels like. As such, I think Mission pedals work a lot better for wah, as they have the same sweep and angle as I'm used to, not to mention the really cool spring loaded option for auto engage.

These are all just my own personal opinions, so only as "right" or "wrong" as it pertains to my taste, but I'd say go EV2 and a Mission EP1 with spring loaded option and you should be pretty happy

Agree completely. The EV1 is huge. I'm mostly using it as a volume pedal. For now I'm just using my cry baby wah, as I'm not sure what else I might want to "express" with a pedal. But if I find another use, I'd get the EV2 for expression.

So I wound up buying this at a guitar show for $85. Small footprint. Seems pretty sturdy. Metal construction and nice grip tape on the face. I will do some testing and let you know.
dod-mini-expression-volume-pedal-angle-770x425.jpg

Just noticed what looks like a power connector and some Led legs off the LHS of the switch in that image - have you wired up a LED as well? If so is that also a simple mod??
The SP-1 and SP-2 come with the LED. It wouldn't be a difficult mod if you're handy with a drill press.

The SP-1 and SP-2 come with the LED. It wouldn't be a difficult mod if you're handy with a drill press.

Must be an option, as my SP1 doesn’t have a LED.

I did your “switched output” mod at the weekend to my SP1 so it works like a SP2, works great thanks - means I can either run the modified SP1 into two inputs or two separate mission expression pedals into the same two inputs depending on how much stuff I want to setup.Thanks!

Must be an option, as my SP1 doesn’t have a LED.

I did your “switched output” mod at the weekend to my SP1 so it works like a SP2, works great thanks - means I can either run the modified SP1 into two inputs or two separate mission expression pedals into the same two inputs depending on how much stuff I want to setup.Thanks!
Glad it works the way you need.

Back
Top Bottom