Expression pedal...What to buy???

Lenster

Inspired
Like a kid in a candy store, I'm eagerly awaiting my AX8.
In the meantime, I'm spending a lot of time reading and preparing myself as much as I can.
An expression pedal isn't a necessity, though I'm thinking I should buy one and learn to use it from the get go.
So that being said, what is good, bad, fair, budget friendly, top of the line, to avoid, so on and so forth.
Thinking a used Boss FV 500H might be a good starting point.
Cheers
Len

I would have bought a Moog if I just wanted to mess around. They seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Food for thought.. Depends on if whether you'll eventually get a case for your AX8 setup.. and if you play gigs and so forth. I've got a dunlop mini exp.pedal which sits nice and snug in my pedalboard setup with wireless above it, so it's a grab-and-go-rig. Having a smaller sized expression pedal for me is much easier to work with when travelling and playing shows.. the bigger the pedals on your pedalboard = the bigger your pedalboard (and heavier) it will be.

Food for thought.. Depends on if whether you'll eventually get a case for your AX8 setup.. and if you play gigs and so forth. I've got a dunlop mini exp.pedal which sits nice and snug in my pedalboard setup with wireless above it, so it's a grab-and-go-rig. Having a smaller sized expression pedal for me is much easier to work with when travelling and playing shows.. the bigger the pedals on your pedalboard = the bigger your pedalboard (and heavier) it will be.
Yeah I have a HSC that it will sit in and use a Xvive U2 wireless.
So it will be permanent.

I bought the Moog EP3 - works fine...BUT....I did notice and I'm not sure if this is something on all expression pedals because I don't have a lot of familiarity with them - I can move it slowly to the toe position (and I mean slowly by hand, not with my foot) and it won't engage. Not a huge deal because I could never move it that slowly (or would even) but still, I wonder if other higher end pedals do that. The Moog is like $40 USD.

I bought the Moog EP3 - works fine...BUT....I did notice and I'm not sure if this is something on all expression pedals because I don't have a lot of familiarity with them - I can move it slowly to the toe position (and I mean slowly by hand, not with my foot) and it won't engage. Not a huge deal because I could never move it that slowly (or would even) but still, I wonder if other higher end pedals do that. The Moog is like $40 USD.
Just checking but this isn't when using auto engage and set to a speed setting right?

For axe fx 2 i used 3 ernie ball junior...works fine
For the ax8(... i Want buy one mission ep1 or fractal......)

Thinking a used Boss FV 500H might be a good starting point.

Personally for my MFC-101 AFX II setup I have the Dunlop DVP3 which are nice, but for my AX8 I have the FAS EV1 and trust me, these are the best for your new rig.

EXP1 is primarily for volume swells
EXP2 is for FX mix or WAH depending on the preset

Hope that helps mate, you could reach out to FAS and see if they have any B stock available?

I have a Moog and a Fractal EV-1. The EV-1 feels and responds much better, but is larger (nearly as large as my old Sho-Buds) and 4x more expensive than the Moog. I might be inclined to sell my Moog w/orig box, goodies for a very friendly price. PM if interested. If money is no object, I say go for the EV-1. Personally, I don't care for Mission's side mounted jacks and wah form factor.

I like the idea of the EP1 SPL for wah !!

It works great! Before that, I had an EV-1 for Wah too, and that also worked just great for that. However, I got the EP-1 for sizing purposes when I was designing the GloRiser, and enjoyed playing with it so much that I ended up keeping it!

Back
Top Bottom