Expression pedal setup?

yeah i know, got to the calibration press enter to calibrate, moved the pedal for range of motion, hit enter and still nothing, does the calibration have a routine it runs through ? because it doesn't seem to do anything

yeah i know, got to the calibration press enter to calibrate, moved the pedal for range of motion, hit enter and still nothing, does the calibration have a routine it runs through ? because it doesn't seem to do anything
are you using a TRS cable? where is it plugged in on the Axe?

Yes and expression 1. I've managed to set it up using my helix with the expression attached using midi. but it wanted to plug straight into the axe with the expression

Calibration is not the same thing as configuring the pedal to operate as a Wah.

Calibration just makes sure that the Axe-Fx III "knows" the range of the pedal.

Page 13 of the manual explains how to setup the pedal to operate as a Wah.

I think the modifier page is what you're looking for in the manual p146. This is for the front panel operation. Copy/Pasted from the manual:
Below you will find a basic step-by-step tutorial on setting up the modifier for a Wah pedal.
For this example, let’s assume:
ƒ A Wah block is in your preset.
ƒ You have an Expression pedal ready (see p. 12 for how to connect pedals directly to the Axe-Fx III).
Here are the steps:
1. On the Grid, NAV to your Wah block and press EDIT to show its menu.
2. Turn to the Config page of the Wah block’s Edit menu.
3. Notice the yellow Modifier dot symbol beneath the on-screen Wah Control parameter.
4. NAV to select that parameter (or just give its knob a twiddle). It will be highlighted when selected.
5. Press ENTER or the MODIFIER Push-knob to show the Modifier menu.
6. On the Source page, change the SOURCE to your pedal. Depending on how your pedal is connected this
might be “Pedal 1” (the on-board expression jack of the Axe-Fx III), or it might be one of the “External
Controllers” (p. 152), or it might be one of the “FC” pedal options.
7. Test! The Wah should work when you move the pedal. You’ll also see the dot move on the graph. If it
doesn’t work, check your source or make sure the pedal is properly connected and calibrated.
8. Save the preset by pressing STORE, ENTER, ENTER.
MODIFIER TIPS AND TRICKS
ƒ The same source can be assigned to multiple modifiers at the same time. For example, one pedal
might adjust Chorus Rate and Chorus Depth at the same time — even in different ways.
ƒ The modifiers for a given block will normally be shared across all of its channels,
but you can also limit a modifier so it applies only to any one channel—your choice.
Change the “Channel” setting inside the modifier menu to do so.
ƒ Modifiers use a very small amount of CPU power while you use them.
Test any presets which seem close to the edge.
ƒ All of the Internal Controllers (Tempo, LFOs, ADSRs, etc.) are part of a Controllers block. This block
has four channels, so you can have up to four different sets of Controller values in one preset.
ƒ The Axe-Fx III has a dedicated Bypass parameter in every block that can be bypassed, and this parameter
allows you to assign a modifier. Bypass Mode is not used as it was on previous Fractal Audio products.
The Wah in this example is controlled by an expression pedal. An expression pedal can be used to control other
parameters like whammy control, rotary rate, delay feedback, and many, many more.
There are also many different sources we could use instead of a pedal. Try an LFO for a modulating auto-wah, or
an Envelope Follower for some funky Mu-Tron action. And MIDI opens up a world of controller options.
M

From the manual, Page 12
Expression pedals for the Axe-Fx III should have a linear resistance taper and must have a maximum resistance in the range of 10–100kΩ. Expression pedals must be used with Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables!

I’m embarrassed to say, i mean i don’t understand that, like is that ON the pedal board because i dont see it on my pedal printed anywhere. Sorry guys I’m a real noob to gear. Maybe I’m really really out of my depth here

The pedal is a continuous controller; meaning it sends a slew of values out for interpretation to modify some part of your signal chain as long as it’s in use ( motion or position).

I use 4 pedals for example. VOL, WAH, DLY, Wild card.

The AxeFx in calibration “learns” its range for midi and other expression for modifying many parameters like mix amount, LFO duty cycle, delay repeats, volume inc/dec, rotary speeds, amp morphing, amp input gain modulation, etc.

Point being you can use a pedal like yours in easily a hundred different ways.

As a wah, read the manual. Super simple. It can even auto-engage (a good way to use it). Very easy.

You can look at presets with a wah and see how FAS set it up. Change it to match your physical configuration.

What pedal do you have? Most expression pedals that connect with a TRS cable work.
I bought a used sanpera 1 by peavey
I tried to connect to via software but it was so outdated it didn’t run on my pc

Edit-oops I’m such a mook, I think I answered my own question- it’s Midi! My bad again, I totally missed the main thing sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a used sanpera 1 by peavey
I tried to connect to via software but it was so outdated it didn’t run on my pc

Edit-oops I’m such a mook, I think I answered my own question- it’s Midi! My bad again, I totally missed the main thing sorry
Yes, that’s not an expression pedal. It’s a controller that has an expression pedal built in. Very different.

Back
Top Bottom