Expression pedal set up tips or suggestions

Discussion in 'Other MIDI Controllers' started by Beyond, May 19, 2017.

1. Beyond

Beyond
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Just getting my new to me Axe II XL set up and now doing controller. I use to have a dunlop rack wah and controller so thats what im use to. I am currently using the FCB1010 for patch and scene changes so will be using those expression pedals until I decide which mission ones to get.
    I currently have it set to auto enguage..need to get use to that...lol. the throw seems weird and lots of travel you really have to keep the pedal moving to get the effect. This could be wah settings it self as I have not gotten that far yet..still tweaking amps. Not sure if it's pedal set up or what...So I am wondering if you guys have any tips suggestions or just want to share how yours is set up..settings...and being used. Thanks in advance!

2. Matt_B_77

Matt_B_77
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Did you correctly calibrate the expression pedal?

If you did then I attribute what you're experiencing to the difference between an expression pedal and wah pedal as far as travel distance goes.

When I was looking at expression pedals for my Axe FX I bought both a Fractal EV-1 and a Mission Engineering SP-1. The EV-1 is a traditional expression pedal and the SP-1 is the same as a wah pedal. I ended up going with the SP-1 because it felt like a wah in terms of travel. The SP-1 also has a toe switch so it works just like a wah in terms of activation and deactivation.

3. Beyond

Beyond
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Ya it has been calibrated. I agree with you in the difference between wah and expression that's why I will be getting a mission...lol. will probably go no switch and auto enguage so I only use one of the 2 jacks on the back of the rack as no mfc yet. Just looking at what others are doing.
    Thanks!

4. Matt_B_77

Matt_B_77
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

FWIW, you can always get a Mission pedal with the toe switch but not use it unless you want to. You can still use auto engage with the toe switch.

5. Beyond

Beyond
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

True enough...didnt really think of it that way. Always good to buy once!