Expression Pedal Positions Resetting After Using Tuner

Fro

Experienced
When I attach my expression pedals to a block like Wah or Volume, I always set my Auto-Engage to Medium Position and my Off Value to 95%. I leave all of my expression pedals in toe position when not in use. With the Axe Fx II, there was always this thing I would have to do when I first turned the unit on for the unit to recognize the pedal position, and that was just to move each pedal down to heal position and back up to toe position. Then I would be fine for the rest of the night. Oddly enough, I never had to do that with the Axe Fx Standard, but it was something I quickly got used to with the Axe Fx II. Power up, move pedals, good to go.

Well, the Axe Fx III is forgetting what the pedal position is every time I use the tuner. It's like I'm turning the unit on for the first time. So now it's power up, move pedal, good to go. Use tuner, move pedals, good to go. I'm not sure if this has to do with the fact that I'm now using the MFC-101 as a straight midi controller without 2-way communication, or if expression pedal states get reset when the tuner is used, much like powering on for the first time. Anyone else set their pedals in a similar way and run into this?

Is your expression pedal connected to the MFC?

How are you activating and deactivating the tuner when this happens?

What specifically is happening when you notice the Axe "forgets" the pedal position?

Have you looked at the modifier dot when this occurs? For example, where is it immediately after you notice whatever's happening? Does it jump/move as you begin to move the pedal back or forward?

This sounds like you might have an initial pedal value of 0 set on the MFC. More details might indicate it could be something else but that's the first thing I'd check.

Is your expression pedal connected to the MFC?

Yes

How are you activating and deactivating the tuner when this happens?

Either from the front panel, or from the MFC. It happens with activating it both ways.

Have you looked at the modifier dot when this occurs? For example, where is it immediately after you notice whatever's happening? Does it jump/move as you begin to move the pedal back or forward?

On the modifier page of the Axe Fx, I have the start value as 0 and end value set to 100. The expression pedal is toe down, and the modifier is at 100. When I engage and disengage the tuner, the pedal is still toe down, but the modifier is now at 0. If I move the pedal a little, the modifier jumps to where the pedal is positioned.

This sounds like you might have an initial pedal value of 0 set on the MFC. More details might indicate it could be something else but that's the first thing I'd check.

If I'm looking at the right spot on the MFC, the beginning value was set to off. I tried BegOFF, BegPDL, Beg000 and Beg127, and it still reacts the same way. This is also slightly related to another problem I'm having with the expression pedals, and I'm thinking of starting a new thread for that one. Any block I have tied to an expression pedal where the block is off toe down and on heal down (and I leave the pedal toe down) those blocks are active for a split second when I change to that preset. So if it's a synth block, the synth will make a brief noise when I change to that preset. So It sounds like you had a great idea for what to check, but it's not making a difference, unless I'm making the change in the wrong spot.

Those are useful details. It sounds like an Axe-FX bug, possibly reverting to the Ext Ctrl's init. value when using tuner. This might not work how you want 100% of the time, but you could check if setting init. value to 100% keeps it at maximum.

Those are useful details. It sounds like an Axe-FX bug, possibly reverting to the Ext Ctrl's init. value when using tuner. This might not work how you want 100% of the time, but you could check if setting init. value to 100% keeps it at maximum.

I'll try some different settings and see what the best workaround is. I'm sure I can get myself in the routine of moving the pedals after tuning for now. Things like the Synth block being active for a brief moment on patch change is harder to work around, if it's even related to this or not. I did notice that the Axe Fx III forum doesn't have a bug section, unless I'm overlooking it, so I don't know if I'm posting these things correctly so they get noticed.

Back
Top Bottom