Fixed Expression Pedal Initial Value

clarkt

When I start up the FM3 my 2 expression pedals start with an initial value of 100%, even though in the MIDI settings they are default to 0%.

Wondering if this is an issue but probably I am just doing something wrong. Thanks!

Initial value is for MIDI. The pedal jack on the FM3 isn’t a MIDI signal and doesn’t listen to that value.

There does appear to be a bug here, although Chris is correct, it's not related to the Initial Value parameter which applies to connected MIDI devices.

On the FM3, upon boot, the unit does not recognize the position of an expression pedal plugged into the Pedal 1 jack. The pedal has to be moved before the unit will recognize the position of the pedal. This is inconsistent with the behavior of the AxeFX 3 which does recognize the position of an expression pedal upon boot.

This may be related to this bug previously reported for Stand-In Switches. The Axe3 recognizes my FS-5U switches upon boot, but the FM3 does not:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/stand-in-switch-does-not-work-on-first-tap.160858/

The FM3 recognizes 2 switches per pedal jack where the Axe3 does not. This could account for the difference, though I’m guessing.

To be clear, I was connected to the FC6 Switch 1+2 jack, not directly to the AxeIII when testing the FS-5U switches. The FC6 recognizes two switches per jack. When testing the expression pedal, I was also connected to the FC6's Pedal 3 jack. Sorry for the lack of detail on my part.

Initial value is for MIDI. The pedal jack on the FM3 isn’t a MIDI signal and doesn’t listen to that value.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification! The issue still remains as ethomas1013 pointed out. I don't believe the intent is to have the user move expression pedals and press foot switches once the FM3 is booted to get the unit to recognize them. Also since my expression pedals are default at 100% at boot, even though they are heal down, it cause some initial confusion.

I tried 1.03b4 and still no luck with the issue of the expression pedal. I am using it for volume and on boot it is 100% until I move the pedal and the FM3 sees what position it is in. I am using a EV1 expression pedal into the pedal 1 jack on the FM3.

This should behave better in version 1.04 Beta 7 and later. I'll post back here to check for verification when the next public beta/release goes out.

Back
Top Bottom