drubarlow

I've been reading through the AX8 manual this evening trying to find an answer to the following question to no avail. It wouldn't be hard to guess it, but I'll just go ahead and say, "I'm new." I recently bought a Mission SP-25M-Pro Aero expression pedal for use with my AX8, but I can't figure out how to wire it. I'll probably be using it mostly for volume control and I think I understand this routing - expression output to exp pedal 1-4 input on AX8 via TRS cable, then assign.

It has 3 outputs, though, one of which is a midi compatible toe switch to turn on/off digital fx, and I'm curious as to how much it can do at one time. Can an expression pedal like the SP-25M-Pro Aero be used to engage multiple fx at the same time, and if so, how is each effect effected when midi is engaged?

Thanks in advance for any gracious and/or helpful responses. :)

I recently bought a Mission SP-25M-Pro Aero expression pedal for use with my AX8, but I can't figure out how to wire it.
Use a standard TRS cable. There's no point in using more than one cable with the AX8. You can control multiple things with just one cable.

It has 3 outputs, though, one of which is a midi compatible toe switch to turn on/off digital fx...
That's not a "MIDI-compatible" toe switch. It's a plain old toe switch that you can hook up to a MIDI controller—or the AX8—if you want to. The toe switch itself doesn't use MIDI in any way.

You may or may not get much value from using the toe switch with the AX8, because the AX8 ca use its Autoengage feature turn effects on and off. Definitely worth reading up on that. :)

You may or may not get much value from using the toe switch with the AX8, because the AX8 ca use its Autoengage feature turn effects on and off. Definitely worth reading up on that. :)

So, by auto engage, you're describing how the AX8 automatically engages fx based on how a specific preset or scene is programmed, correct? I understand this concept well already, if that is indeed what you mean. In this light I can see how the toe switch could have limited usage, or at least be clunky to use if I force it.

The auto engage that @Rex is referring to is the auto engagement of an effect that the expression pedal is controlling. this meaning the movement of the expression pedal itself will turn the effect on and will turn itself of when the expression pedal is parked(depending how it is set up)

My apologies if resurrecting an old thread is frowned upon. I have a related question and this one hasn't been dead for long, so I figured it might be ok this time.

I started putting in the work this week to get my AX8 rig ready for live use. I was able to hook up my Mission SP-25M-Pro Aero expression pedal no problem and have had success assigning it to multiple functions across differing scenes. It has a momentary toe switch in it that I want to use, though, specifically to engage the hold function in a reverb block. I know how to assign it to an external device to a function, but I can't make the AX8 see the toe switch. Any ideas?

My apologies if resurrecting an old thread is frowned upon. I have a related question and this one hasn't been dead for long, so I figured it might be ok this time.
14 days isn't an old thread ;) and i think in general, it's when people reply to threads that they didn't start, and when it's maybe 2 years or more? i don't necessarily agree with that. if the thread is exactly what you're looking for, i'd say go for it :D i'd rather have one outrageously long - but on-topic - thread, than many, many about the same thing... i could show some examples :p but that's just me.

I started putting in the work this week to get my AX8 rig ready for live use. I was able to hook up my Mission SP-25M-Pro Aero expression pedal no problem and have had success assigning it to multiple functions across differing scenes. It has a momentary toe switch in it that I want to use, though, specifically to engage the hold function in a reverb block. I know how to assign it to an external device to a function, but I can't make the AX8 see the toe switch. Any ideas?
in the I/O CTRL page, set the switch to any of the External Controllers (there are 12). then in the Reverb block, go to the modifier of the Hold function. it's that { } bracket. in AX8-Edit, you right click on the Hold function, and the Modifier screen will pop up. on the hardware, you navigate to the control and hit Enter to bring it up. then set the Source to the External Controller you set earlier.

lots of words when typed out, but it's very simple. set the switch to a controller, set the Hold to that controller. assuming the wiring is correct, it should work out.

in the I/O CTRL page, set the switch to any of the External Controllers (there are 12). then in the Reverb block, go to the modifier of the Hold function. it's that { } bracket. in AX8-Edit, you right click on the Hold function, and the Modifier screen will pop up. on the hardware, you navigate to the control and hit Enter to bring it up. then set the Source to the External Controller you set earlier.

I currently have it wired with a single TRS going from output 1 on the expression pedal to input 2 on the AX8 and I've been able to assign it for use in some presets already (volume swells, wah). I guess the wiring could be part of my problem, but admittedly, I don't yet understand depth of complexity the AX8 can achieve. I'll give it another look tomorrow.

I currently have it wired with a single TRS going from output 1 on the expression pedal to input 2 on the AX8 and I've been able to assign it for use in some presets already (volume swells, wah). I guess the wiring could be part of my problem, but admittedly, I don't yet understand depth of complexity the AX8 can achieve. I'll give it another look tomorrow.
you don't have the switch wired to the AX8? just the pedal?

rex was referring to just connecting the "sweep pedal" part earlier in the thread. if you want to use the Switch, you definitely need a cable from the switch output to the AX8.

you don't have the switch wired to the AX8? just the pedal? rex was referring to just connecting the "sweep pedal" part earlier in the thread. if you want to use the Switch, you definitely need a cable from the switch output to the AX8.

Yes, everything said above is correct. I found out a few minutes ago that the 3rd output from the expression pedal is wired to the toe switch, so I should be ok now. Programming would be the same as programming the sweep of a pedal. TRS cable from output 3 to an input on the AX8, then set the input/switch to momentary instead of latching or sweeping on the I/O menu screen.

Yes, everything said above is correct. I found out a few minutes ago that the 3rd output from the expression pedal is wired to the toe switch, so I should be ok now. Programming would be the same as programming the sweep of a pedal. TRS cable from output 3 to an input on the AX8, then set the input/switch to momentary instead of latching or sweeping on the I/O menu screen.
that should do it, but don't be afraid to try both Momentary and Latching on the AX8 menu settings. some switches, even though momentary, work "correctly" when set to latching. just try both and see what works best.

that should do it, but don't be afraid to try both Momentary and Latching on the AX8 menu settings. some switches, even though momentary, work "correctly" when set to latching. just try both and see what works best.
+1...an obscure but valuable bit of knowledge.

@chris @Rex I've seen that mentioned in other posts, so I'll be sure to try both momentary and latching to see which one works best for what I'm trying to accomplish. Many thx for the gracious and helpful responses in this thread!

I'm using the momentary toe switch for 'sprinkle-on' effect. In my case I use it to momentarily add a raygun effect at the end of various FX sweeps. You can assign anything, obviously. Using the lightweight aero version with AX8.

Back
Top Bottom