Expression pedal CC?

qingcong

Inspired
I have a general question about expression pedals and midi controllers. Say I assigned my expression pedal for volume for a certain preset. Is the pedal always going to be active for that preset or do I have to assign a CC button for volume in order to activate/deactivate it?

Yes, you can have a bypass switch and choose whether the block loads active or bypassed, as well as whether the volume level immediately reflects the pedal position or loads the preset-stored value. All configurable per preset.

I see. So if my midi controller only has 1 expression pedal jack, can I use choose whether I want the pedal to be wah, volume, or pitch using the CC buttons?

Alright, so I'm still confused about this - say I program on my midi controller the CC value for EXP to be the one for volume. You're saying I can override that with the instant access CC buttons and make it a wah if I wanted?

With the pedal CC set for one external (and nothing else) at the I/O menu CTRL page, it can be assigned to multiple things in a preset. Then the IAs can be used to engage one block at a time.

I see, thanks. So what if on my midi controller I have more than one IA, say both volume and wah engaged?

Last edited:
You'd hear wah freq. and volume change at the same time. One CC can also accomplish A/B style switching between 2 blocks (or paths) which prevents that and might be more convenient.

hey guys im new to the expression pedal thing, i want it to be a wah and expression pedal, but not at same time, i use a mission sp1R with GCP and axe fx, i tried set ups in manuals but still not working would someone be kind to walk me through how to atleast grt it working as a wah, i also have a trs cable going from pedal 1 onGCP to output 1 on sp1.

You'd hear wah freq. and volume change at the same time. One CC can also accomplish A/B style switching between 2 blocks (or paths) which prevents that and might be more convenient.

Are you talking about connecting the pedal to the back of the axe or to the midi controller? Also, I don't see where the one CC thing is set at. I/O -> CTRL just lists the CC numbers for each block.

Last edited:
im going into the midi controller, i dont really understand the cc numbers, do i set it for each patch? or just for the effect, if you could kinda run me through just w wah for example.

im going into the midi controller, i dont really understand the cc numbers, do i set it for each patch? or just for the effect, if you could kinda run me through just w wah for example.
For starters, let's simplify things by connecting your expression pedal straight into your Axe-FX instead of your GCP. Make sure you're using a TRS cable and not just a regular guitar cable. Then follow the instructions here.

Are you talking about connecting the pedal to the back of the axe or to the midi controller? Also, I don't see where the one CC thing is set at. I/O -> CTRL just lists the CC numbers for each block.

Axe ports and MIDI CCs can both be used.

For A/B with one CC:

1. In the I/O menu set another External to the switch's CC#. Don't set specific block bypasses to that CC#--if any match it change them to "none" or something else for now.

2. In the preset, assign that external as a bypass modifier for both blocks to be switched. (Press enter on each block's "byp. mode" control, set source to the external.) Change one modifier's start/mid/end to 100/50/0. Now one block will be off while the other is on.

This is another method using a mixer block, which allows use of auto-engage for either effect: Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Last edited:
Cool, I've been checking up on Yeks How Tos but I didn't catch this one. I'll have to keep this info handy once I get an expression pedal.

Oh wait, so Yek's writeup there only deals with toggling between two CCs. Is it possible to use three? Volume, wah, whammy

You'd need at least 2 switches assuming basic CC on/off style. The exact method depends on where you want the effects. One example for everything before amp: a mixer just before the amp can act as a row selector, levels controlled by an external. Prior to mixer, row 1 could have the A/B-switched effects, row 2 the volume block. Row 2 could also have two blocks being A/Bed by the first switch, giving a choice of 4 effects from only 2 switches.

ok so i was able to get it to work through that set up, but really want to get it connected through my midi contoler, but now im not sure how to get it talking to the GCP(midi controller)

ok i may have gotten it, but now since my pedal has a on/off toggle, like a crybaby wah, how can i get it to turn the effect on/off by pushing it down,

Back
Top Bottom