Expression Pedal & Cable Quality?

sgplayer76

Inspired
I just ordered a Mission EP-1 to use with my Axe-Fx. I plan to plug it straight into one of the Pedal Inputs on the back of the Axe using a TRS cable. I currently use Mogami Gold XLR cables to my studio monitors and a Mogami Platinum cable with my guitar. I am wondering if I should order a Mogami (or other high quality) TRS cable for the expression pedal, or will any TRS cable suffice? (I have a couple Live Wires brand TRS cables in my closet). Will I notice a improvement in sound quality using a better cable? This will be my first experience with an expression pedal, so I have no idea if cables make a difference. Thanks in advance for your help!

Any working TRS cable will do. The cable to the expression pedal is not used for audio.

tgunn said:
Any working TRS cable will do. The cable to the expression pedal is not used for audio.
I agree. The cable isn't that important, but the connectors might be and I wouldn't completely skimp on those. I am using G&H connectors (nickle) with generic 22AWG TRS w/95% braided shield cable from guitar-cable.com. Absolutely no issues.

I solder these myself with isolating shrink wrap around each connection inside the connector housing (trick I learned from the folks at Bayou Cable) - just one thing less likely to fail or short.

The 7-pin midi cable connectors are Neutrik.

DSC_0464.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys! I was thinking the same thing (since audio does not pass), but figured it could not hurt to ask. Better safe than sorry, right! Thanks again. :D

That NYC PedalBoards case looks very cool! In the hopes that I will eventually be able to get an MFC, I'm wondering if you would be kind enough to tell me if that is one of their standard models you are using, or if you had one custom made. I would plan to have 2-3 exp peds-maybe a small switch or two as well...tnx!

I just purchased the "Big Shot" ( standard model ) from NYCPedalboards in anticipation of an MFC101 - and (eventually) four pedals. The quality is really good.

Does it matter if the connector is TRS or TS? Right angle TRS' are a little harder to find. Mission Engineering seems to show TRS connectors? Could be mistaken.. I have some patch cables I would like to "reuse" with 90 degree connectors to save a few bucks..

Anyone?

Disregard the "little harder to find" part.. Gotta good lead on some connectors.. Still curious if the "R" matters with an expression pedal cable..

Last edited:
Happened to ask James at mission today via email. He says standard 1/4 cables. If exp ped has a switch, you need 2 of them.

Hmmm. I point blank asked the guy from Mission and he said 2x 1/4 cables...but that was regarding SP-1. That may be the difference here. I just ordered 2 SP-1's. I guess I'll wait to buy cables til I'm 100% sure.

Does anyone know if the guy made a mistake. Should the cables be TRS for SP-1 also?

Tnx v much!

It requires a TRS cable. From the Mission pedal user guide:

The Pedal out on all models is wired as follows:

Potentiometer ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐Pedal Out

Clockwise (CW) ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Sleeve
Counter Clockwise (CCW) ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Ring
Wiper (SL) ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Tip

thank you, brother Tyler for being persistent. I re-re-read the email from James of Mission, and indeed you are correct sir. After he says 2x 1/4, i spaced, but he does in fact mention TRS. My bad. And many thanx. Now I can get some cables with confidence (as soon as i can find the sizes etc that i need. Am planning to get 4 cables with both ends L shaped. Don't know how easy they are to find.

BTW-Does anyone know if the MFC-101 ships with a 7 pin midi cable?

Indeed TRS are needed, and actually the quality doesnt matter. its not audio as has been stated, its a voltage that is then translated into a midi value. Even if the cable/jack means the voltage degrades slightly (which even on a poor calbe it shouldnt) when you calibrate the pedal it assigned midi 0 to the lowest voltage and midi 127 to the highest.

Makes not a jot of difference is thats 1v and 6v, or 0.1v and 16v.

Hmmm. I point blank asked the guy from Mission and he said 2x 1/4 cables...but that was regarding SP-1. That may be the difference here. I just ordered 2 SP-1's. I guess I'll wait to buy cables til I'm 100% sure.

Does anyone know if the guy made a mistake. Should the cables be TRS for SP-1 also?

Tnx v much!

Even the Mission doc's reference TRS connections. See page 4 in the user manual for the SP-1. You can probably get away with just a TR cable for the switch, but the potentiometer tied to the expression pedal definitely requires a TRS connection.

Back
Top Bottom