Expression Pedal Activating Bypass Problem

ReasonablyDan

Hey there everyone, have a weird one for ya.

I have 4 expression pedals/pots set up on the MFC-101 and one mysteriously activates the FX bypass on a Pitch2 effect.

No idea how I have set them CC# for Pitch2 bypass to “none” with no effect.

The strangest part is the potentiometer I am using (attached to expression output 2 on the MFC) can be turned slowly without engaging the Pitch2 bypass but if I turn it quick it’s activated!?!?
Hope that helps narrow down this strange issue.
Any help you could give would be appreciated.
I am an experienced but that doesn’t rule out something stupid I may have done.

Thank you!
-ReasonablyDan

You have auto engage enabled on some modifier of the Pitch block.

The auto engage setting is probably one of the "SPD" (speed) types which explains why it doesn't happen when moved slowly.

Hi unix-guy, well examined and you are completely right. Expression pedal 3 is set to the same fx block (Pitch2) that is experiencing the problem. It controls a Whammy-like effect, and yes it is set to “Auto Engage Fast.”
However, the ONLY modifier I have attached to the Pitch2 Block is Exp3.

Can you help me find why Exp2 is somehow auto-engaging it?

I really appreciate your insight sir, thank you :)

Is it possible you're using the same CC# for both pedal 2 and 3?

I haven't had an MFC or Axe Fx II since the Axe Fx III came out so my memory of how the pedals on MFC can be assigned/mapped to the Axe Fx is a bit hazy.

Maybe @Moke or @Bakerman have some thoughts? I think both are still currently using the Axe Fx II and very knowledgeable.

Which Axe-FX model and firmware version are you using? It might not be relevant but there was a problem with some older Axe-FX II firmwares where a CC value changing by even 1 step could auto-engage blocks and override PC Reset values when it shouldn't have been doing that.

Does the block switch back off automatically shortly after engaging when this occurs? If it's not caused by the same CC# on two ports all I can guess is that something is making the MFC's voltage/reading of one port waver a bit when the other one is changing rapidly. If that's the case I'd expect it the block to switch back off unless you have the pedal parked in the "on" zone.

If you view this modifier on the front panel it should be possible to see the dot moving if the CC value is changing. If it's jumping around a bit you might be able to at least prevent this by using a "position" (POS) autoengage type and setting the off value far enough from 0 or 100% (whichever you're using as the "off" zone).

You know what Bakerman I have not updated in over a year. Let me do that and report back. Hopefully that solves it.

Regarding the position of the offending Pot when I turn it back to zero it turns the Pitch2 Block to “Off” and everything is gravy again

If that doesn’t work I will try your suggestion:
“If you view this modifier on the front panel it should be possible to see the dot moving if the CC value is changing. If it's jumping around a bit you might be able to at least prevent this by using a "position" (POS) autoengage type and setting the off value far enough from 0 or 100% (whichever you're using as the "off" zone).”

Is it possible you're using the same CC# for both pedal 2 and 3?

I haven't had an MFC or Axe Fx II since the Axe Fx III came out so my memory of how the pedals on MFC can be assigned/mapped to the Axe Fx is a bit hazy.

Maybe @Moke or @Bakerman have some thoughts? I think both are still currently using the Axe Fx II and very knowledgeable.
Good thinking but I checked that, they are for sure different CC#s.

Solved! Software update didn’t do the trick, new ethernet cable didn’t, but I did a hard reset on the MFC101 Mk3 and that (probably coupled with the update and possibly my new ethernet cable) solved the duplicate MIDI send.

For anyone having the same issue:

I would like to say exactly what it was but I suspect it was a multi-tiered problem. Though maybe it was the reset that did it after all. I probably had some weird setting I accidentally changed - though I checked thoroughly. I have to admit I don’t fully understand every one of the items in the MFC settings.

A word of caution, when updating I got “error 14 and 17” then the dreaded “name timeout”
I had to download the update again from tye website and try several times before it got “complete.”

Also, after the hard reset I had to change the MFC to my version of the AxeFx (in my case it is the original II). Then I also had to update the type of connection/cable I was using (in my case I’m using and ethernet cable so I selected “expansion”
It will reset all these parameters of course.

Hope that helps everyone!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom