Bug? Expression default values not reconized

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
In the control menu (front panel) under the page for expression pedal values, I have all of them set to 100%, which correlates with the toe down position for me. However, some of the modifiers attached to various expression pedals do not default to 100%, even when the relevant pedals are connected and in the toe down position.

Once the pedals have been swept from toe down to heel down and back, they resume normal behavior.

What are your pedals connected to? This would be the expected result from an MFC-101 XP port set for a somewhat low initial value (on the MFC), for example. I'm not seeing anything new or unusual on the Axe that would cause this. (Mark II, Q1.06) Ext Ctrl value reflects CC source once any value is received.

Using a MIDI expression, it's calibrated and sending 127, so yes, all expression values should be at 100%.

...but that's not the case. Exp2 starts at 0%, then once I sweep it down to 0% it will come back up following the intended path of the pedal.

Reactions: Rex
Which Axe-FX II model and firmware? Could you post a preset where this occurs, or a video?

Does the Axe-FX MIDI in LED light up when you move the pedal back the first time, before it takes control of the parameter?

If you disconnect the MIDI expression device, do these parameters still sound like source is at 0%, while Init Value is set to 100%?

I think if pc reset is on, I believe the modifier is ignored and the value goes to the initial setting.

I always thought that the 'Initial Value %' parameter was only active if no expression pedal or MFC was plugged in?

The other issue sounds like MFC expression pedals settings?

I always thought that the 'Initial Value %' parameter was only active if no expression pedal or MFC was plugged in?

The initial value applies until that CC is received, so it depends on whether the controller sent any value yet, not just the fact that it's connected. OP seems to be using a device called "MIDI Expression" to connect pedals, not an MFC.

The initial value applies until that CC is received, so it depends on whether the controller sent any value yet, not just the fact that it's connected. OP seems to be using a device called "MIDI Expression" to connect pedals, not an MFC.

I think he means he is using a midi expression pedal... But it wasn't really clear from the reply.

OP - what is your expression pedal connected to? Directly to the Axe Fx, an MFC or something else?

Didn't mean to post and bail, just got busy last night... in order...

Which Axe-FX II model and firmware? Could you post a preset where this occurs, or a video?

Does the Axe-FX MIDI in LED light up when you move the pedal back the first time, before it takes control of the parameter?

If you disconnect the MIDI expression device, do these parameters still sound like source is at 0%, while Init Value is set to 100%?

IImk2 FW Q1.06, and I'll attach a preset here. The one I first noticed it on is for my high gain patch where expression 2 kicks in a tremolo and pitch shifter. The tremolo should not be audible (0% mix) until the expression is sent to the heel-down position. So, in this case I'm specifically looking at controller 2 values, but they are all set to 100% across the board.

Yes, the MIDI light is active before it takes control

Also yes when the controller is disconnected.

I think if pc reset is on, I believe the modifier is ignored and the value goes to the initial setting.

AFAIK, Bakerman is correct. It makes no sense to have an initial expression value for only when no expression is connected... that would just be THE value in that case. So, since all of mine are set to 100%, and 100% correlates to toe-down, they should default to toe-down, no?

I'm using a POD HD500 as MIDI controller.

I think he means he is using a midi expression pedal... But it wasn't really clear from the reply.

OP - what is your expression pedal connected to? Directly to the Axe Fx, an MFC or something else?

It's connected directly to the Axe's MIDI in.

Attachments

• Deliverance Heavy - LIVE.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
Also, you're going to see the tremolo's depth min & max reversed on the attached preset. I tried it both ways (as-is, and with 0% min, 100% max and the expression curve reversed), no difference whatsoever.

What is your 'PC Reset' setting in the 'Edit Modifier' window? On my volume related controllers, mine is set to 'Off' and in my MFC I have 'beginning value' set to 'Pedal'. So each preset is loaded with my current 'Volume' pedal value, even though I have the 'Initial Value %' set to 100%. As a new preset is loaded, the MFC sends the current expression pedal positions of each pedal that is set to 'Pedal'. If I don't have my MFC connected, as is the case most of the time at home, the ''Initial Value %' setting is used.

I have no info on the POD HD500 as a MIDI controller. Maybe there is a parameter that can send the current pedal position of the desired pedal(s) with each PC change command?

It seems normal here. With Ext Ctrl 2 Init Value = 100% the tremolo depth is 0 as expected after powering on. A pedal sending a CC (FCB1010) takes immediate control once moved.

Normally I'd blame the controller but if it does this when it's not connected, I don't know. Any MIDI-capable software running on USB-connected computer? If you switch the Init. Value between 0 and 100% does it bring the tremolo in and out?

It has been connected to axe edit this whole time, so...?

I will check on PC reset values and report back.

What made me think this might be a bug is that I had worked around this issue on previous quantum FW. I find it odd that it's working for others.

AFAIK, there is no setting for 'pedal value' on the hd500. Adjusing initial value on front panel does not bring in/out tremolo.

Did you try without Axe-Edit running? That's the last thing I can think of.

You might want to contact support. Or post a video demonstrating this, in case there's somehow another aspect not considered yet.

I will try tonight. I wanted to do more trouble shooting last night, but ran short on time having to learn new parts.

Any suggestions on what would best demonstrate this in a video? I'm thinking showing the expression position powered off, then turning everything on and sweeping the range?

I suppose it would be good to first see the Ext Ctrl 2 setting at I/O: CTRL, then the Ext Ctrl 2 Init Value being adjusted, with no MIDI or USB connection. Navigate to the trem depth modifier with Init Value at 0 and 100% to see if the on-screen knob and/or modifier dot have moved.

After that, connect the controller w/ pedal forward, and restart the Axe-FX if necessary to encounter the issue again. Then get a shot of the trem depth modifier screen and pedal, while moving the pedal back slowly. Then we can see the MIDI in LED and whether the dot is moving. All of this plus the preset posted earlier would probably give FAS the clearest picture of what's happening.

Back
Top Bottom