Expression and Feedback pedal advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Hi all

I am looking to try out the built-in wah on the Axe FX 3 with a view to replacing my Slash wah.

What expression pedal would you recommend that has the same range as a normal wah pedal? Think the cry babySlash wah?

I have used two Mission pedals in the past with my Kemper but the first broke after 6 months and the other a month later so I am avoiding them. I used a Boss FV but the range was huge, great for volume but terrible for wah.

Just looking for some suggestions purely for Wah.

The other pedal on my board I need is the Frequout which is an amazing pedal. Has anyone managed to replicate this pedal within the Axe?

Thank you

Mike

If you still have the slash and want to go cheap, you could remove the guts from the wah (and stored safely) and replace the pot with a 10k linear and a new jack and you would be all set. A bought a busted crybaby, which with the pot put me under $30 invested.

Hi bud

To be honest I want to keep the Slash connected to my tube amp. If I gig again as a guitarist I would be using my tube amp anyway.....I think lol

If I can't buy an expression with a wah type sweep, I may do what you suggested to a GB95

Mission expression pedals are exactly that. A vox/crybaby wah style enclosure with a linear expression pedal valued pot inside. If you want that vox/crybaby physical sweep feel, that's the way to go.

What broke on your previous mission pedals?

Mission expression pedals are exactly that. A vox/crybaby wah style enclosure with a linear expression pedal valued pot inside. If you want that vox/crybaby physical sweep feel, that's the way to go.

What broke on your previous mission pedals?
As far as I am aware they are the same chassis as the Dunlop (Crybaby) pedals.

There's not much too them and I've never had any issues (I use 4), so I would also wonder what broke...

The Moog EP-3 is pretty good... especially for the price. I currently use the Mission SP1 and it's one of the best IME

Guys

Thanks for the responses.

Regarding the Mission, both pedals lost there heel down position, felt as if the heel end had fallen into the chassis. I thought it was me at first so I got my cry baby out and that was fine. I then got out the second Mission pedal which worked great, 30 days later it sufferered the same fate.

This was under light use (set of 5 songs with 2 having wah with lead) and that was it. Extremely poor quality and the second one must have had no more than 2 days use.

I went back to using my normal wah pedal then without issue. I am sure a lot of people have no issues, I do know on another forum users have experienced very poor quality.

Before anyone asks, I am not fat or heavy hahaha.

Going to check out the Moog now

You know, I think I know what you’re talking about with the heel-down thing, you mean like it lost the tension and didn’t have the same feel as a Dunlop?

I got mine 2nd hand and while you’re supposed to be able to adjust the treadle, I can’t tighten it anymore than it is. The pedal stays in place, but it’s definitely not the same tension as any Crybaby I’ve used.....and I’ve used a LOT of them. I’ve considered just buying a new one and I might just track down a Dunlop expression pedal for this. I use a Fractal EV-1 for other expression stuff, but I’m way too much of a wah junkie with far too many users on a Dunlop enclosure to give it up now.

As for the Freqout, that and the Talk Box are the only two pedals I still use from my previous rig(s). There’s a preset or two that kinda do it, it’s been brought up quite a bit, but it doesn’t work the same as the Freqout and doesn’t have the same response. If I remember right, you control when the ’feedback’ comes in with an expression pedal, but I could be wrong about that.

I have mine sitting in the rack because I didn’t want to run audio to my pedalboard. I have a single button momentary switch on my pedalboard that turns on Output 3, which is where the Freqout is. It took a little bit to figure out how to program it to work and there’s still a little bit of a dry signal that ends up coming through, but not nearly enough to make me want to run it in front of the Input and deal with audio on the pedalboard. I put that thing in pretty much every single preset because I love the shit out of that pedal.

I was using my Dunlop Volume pedal as an expression for a while, using a Y cable. You could go that route, or even get one and rewire it with a stereo jack. They use the same shell as the Crybaby, and the pot taper worked fine for me for wah use. Plus it's drilled at the toe end for a footswitch if you wanted to add a wah toggle.

Broken pivot pin maybe? I'd need to see some pictures to figure out what when wrong. Crybaby style enclosures are usually pretty bomb proof, but there are a lot of different knock off sources for them so I'm sure they vary in quality a lot. For what Mission charges for their pedals, I would assume they'd used a primo source for their parts, but who knows. Quality control can bite anyone in the ass if they're not careful.

Broken pivot pin maybe? I'd need to see some pictures to figure out what when wrong. Crybaby style enclosures are usually pretty bomb proof, but there are a lot of different knock off sources for them so I'm sure they vary in quality a lot. For what Mission charges for their pedals, I would assume they'd used a primo source for their parts, but who knows. Quality control can bite anyone in the ass if they're not careful.
I think there's a ring clip or something that holds the bar in place. Maybe they were missing on a batch and he got a couple bad ones?

In any case, @ShatteredVitreous I suggest contacting Mission. I think they will cover that under warranty.

Guys

These mission pedals have long since been thrown away. With hindsight I should have sent them back but as I used a pedal board alongside the Kemper, I just purchased the AIC Wah and moved on.

Every wah and volume pedal I have owned has lasted until I wanted something new, this is why I know it wasn't me being too extreme with the pedal. What made it worse was they only become active when I moved them, I never used the toe switch so very little pressure was added to the pedal.

£260 for two pedals was extortionate anyway, for them to break so quickly just means I will never own a Mission product again. The Boss pedal I owned, whilst far to large and heavy, was built like a tank.

Anyway, thanks for offering to help, appreciated.

Mike

Went with the EV-30. I was tempted by the Mission but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a 3rd one.

From reviews I don't think I can go wrong with the Boss.

Back
Top Bottom