Export Impulse Responses with Eq baked in.

stm113

Power User
I know there are plugins like Mikko & Libra (both I own) that will allow you to export Impulse Response mixes but I still find the need to EQ these often. Does anyone here know if there is a way to create an IR from these exported mixes with your eq'ing included? That would save me from having to try to use an eq block, plus eq plugins are much easier for me to use rather the internal FAS eqs.

Duh, I forgot to include I currently use the FM9.

What would you use as a sound source for creating/rendering to another wave?

Duh, I forgot to include I currently use the FM9.

What would you use as a sound source for creating/rendering to another wave?
Sound source? If you have access to the raw .wav file simply import that, if not then you can attempt to capture the IR using the usual process: sine wave sweep through the IR, send through a deconvolver to create the IR.

I think that is the question I am asking. so I would send a sine wave through the IR and EQ, export that as a .wav and then put that into a deconvolver and export that as an IR? I appreciate the advice, do you have any further advice on 1-where to get a sine wave (plugin?) 2-how long should the .wav be? 500ms, longer? 3- any suggestions on the deconvolver?

so I would send a sine wave through the IR and EQ, export that as a .wav and then put that into a deconvolver and export that as an IR?
The IR should also be exported as a .wav, yes.

1-where to get a sine wave (plugin?)
I believe most DAWs have one built in, I know Reaper does. Or, you can download a sine sweep, such as the one Sweetwater provides in this article.

2-how long should the .wav be? 500ms, longer?
Personal preference. To quote the wiki:
Normal Res(olution) – 1024 samples, 20 ms. This length normally suffices to capture the essential sound of the speaker cabinet, without so-called room reflections. You can often use Normal Res without having to worry that the sounds is worse than when using HiRes or UltraRes.

HiRes – 2040 samples, 40 ms. This doubles the length of the IR, allowing it to store more informatin after the first 20 ms. Whether that's desirable or not is open for discussion. HiRes IRs use more CPU than Normal Res, and also more than UltraRes.

UltraRes – up to 8000 samples, 170 ms. UltraRes speaker IR processing is a Fractal Audio proprietary technique which enhances the spectral resolution of an IR without adding CPU burden or storage requirements. Its length allows more information to be captured in the IR, especially in the lower frequencies. UltraRes requires more CPU power than Normal Res but less than HiRes.
I'd recommend matching the length of the original IR.

3- any suggestions on the deconvolver?
Voxengo deconvolver.

Back
Top Bottom