Exploring The Various Tube Types

Not all of any given tube designation are the same, or for that matter labelled and sold under the intended designation, so Cliff will most likely need to be idealising the specification to some extent. Tubes of the same model number from different manufacturers can have significantly different internal structure. While many of the "corksniffer" tales tend to exaggerate how transformative of tone whichever rare and overpriced Mullard, Telefunken, RCA or whatever tube set is, they do sound different from one another to varying extents.

Throw in on top of that: some of them might be "gassy", have screen resistors that have drifted in value, have varying degrees of microphonics, tube sockets that are not connecting perfectly, and a whole host of other unintended variables, and the omelette starts to become really quite complex. (Cliff, if you are reading, not sure anyone needs tubes half or completely failing to be modelled).

So neatly avoiding answering your question ;), I think in a lot of ways I prefer not to know. The last 20 years has been a minefield of mismatched tube brands and factories from all around the world, or see what you can find NOS that wasn't a reject, and if you are lucky you'll get a set that sounds good and is reliable (why is it that you could buy a 60s or 70s Marshall or Fender, still with original tubes, and go out and do 100 gigs straight without even thinking about tubes; late 80s onwards, you sometimes couldn't even set the bias without losing a tube?). I'm pretty happy just to know that modelled 5881 is a good 5881 (maybe RCA, GE or Philips), and that I can play with bias point and transformer matching without worrying about forking out for a new set because I have been running the plates too hot, or I got a matched set where one decided to prematurely commit suicide.

I'll bet I still have a brand new quad of matched EL34, a pair of 6V6, and probably a quad of 5881 or 6L6 GC in my spare tubes box, all of known reliability, or good quality NOS. I used to lose sleep over "what if" with power tubes, but for the last 5 years I've been using Axe FXes, and I am completely over it. This isn't yet perfect I am sure, but for me, it's close enough and getting closer all the time.

Liam
Thank you very much for the answer and clarification.

I've don't hear much difference at all swapping the power tubes. At best it's subtle. But I do think I hear differences swapping the preamp tubes.

Wow this topic is back from the crypt 😅
Oh yes, definitely, but not quite from the crypt. Thread was started in the whole ancient times of... wait a minute... last month.

I am pretty sure you are one of the good guys, but writing frankly, you don't come across as it, My Name is Mud (if that is your real name). If your intention is to annoy, you have a decent success rate. ;)

For those experimenting with tube types, power tube changes are subtle, and operating conditions make a bigger difference. Preamp tubes can make more of a difference, because the differences are amplified more. But it's all good fun either way.

Liam

Last edited:
I've don't hear much difference at all swapping the power tubes. At best it's subtle. But I do think I hear differences swapping the preamp tubes.

I feel the same. I've gone through and tested them, and there might be something like 2 power tube types out of the 13 available where I can sorta-kinda hear a difference if I really pay specific attention. Aside from those one or two very subtle differences, I do not think there are any audible or tactile differences at all in the sound or feel of changing the Axe-Fx's virtual power tubes. In an otherwise industry-leading product that inspires me just about every day, think the Axe-Fx's power tube change parameter is an Emperor's New Clothes thing for the most part.

I don't mean to sound negative, and of course I mean no disrespect to Fractal Audio, but if all the components in the circuit are going to be normalized against power tube type such that changing them doesn't actually change the signal coming out of the amp block, then why is the option even there?

Basically, I don't really think normalizing the circuitry against power tube type changes in the Axe is a desirable thing. If an Axe-Fx user changes the power tube type in an amp model from let's say 6L6 to EL34, what do think they're really trying to accomplish? Do you think they are trying to see what the amp would sound like if it was designed from the ground up with EL34's to sound identical to the 6L6 version, or do you think they want to know what it would sound like to take EL34's and shove them into an amp meant for 6L6's? Because personally, I'd bet that 100% of the time they're wanting the latter scenario. Especially since, as most of us are already aware, performing the former "normalized" change basically does not change the sound of the amp at all. I think what people are looking for is just enough normalization that the amp does not sound broken after virtual tube changes, but the obvious changes like impedance curve shifts and how much power a tube can take before breakup should not be normalized.

Last edited:
It seems like some have still not fully digested this thread
Good thread, and not one that i have noticed. I have changed a couple of words in my previous post to clarify and bring more clearly into line with how I understand the Axe FX models to function.

...Do you think they are trying to see what the amp would sound like if it was designed from the ground up with EL34's to sound identical to the 6L6 version, or do you think they want to know what it would sound like to take EL34's and shove them into an amp meant for 6L6's? Because personally, I'd bet that 100% of the time they're wanting the latter scenario.
I agree, but that would involve coding so that all of the power tube model's operating parameters are updated on making the change. I am not certain that's realistically achievable. Can you imagine, "I swapped tube type in my real Marshall JTM45 BBRI from 6L6 to KT66, yet when I did the same in the Axe FX the breakup point did not change in exactly the same way. Why is this?" And the answer is that you HAVE to make some changes in the amp, adjusting the bias, possibly changing screen grid resistors (been a while, can't remember), and no two amp techs will do this in exactly the same way. Worst of all, if the amp tech was able to get all the operating points ideal for the KT66, the tone change would be exactly the same as we hear when we change tubes in the Axe FX currently.

I don't think the problem is that changing power tube types in the Axe FX is the emperor's new clothes. I think the problem may be more that changing power tube types in real amps is the emperor's new clothes.

Liam

if it’s “not possible” to swap tubes in the same amp in real life, how did @FractalAudio mesure them and include them in the axe?

Are they an eq curve result just swapping the tube in a neutral poweramp/circuit ?

Last edited:
Don’t know if you understand my question as English and me …
Did you have 10 tubes in a table, put one, then another, compare the eq values, so tube B add this in the eq … maybe the answer is secret as I am asking “how do you model tubes?” . But it’s interesting to know the process . Is this a result of a comparaison between tubes in the same circuit or an individual value of something ? A comparaison start to a a reference tube so … hm . It’s maybe too complex to me 😅. Let’s play guitar lol. I m not against a partial answer by the way

Did you have 10 tubes in a table, put one, then another, compare the eq values, so tube B add this in the eq … maybe the answer is secret as I am asking “how do you model tubes?” . But it’s interesting to know the process . Is this a result of a comparaison between tubes in the same circuit or an individual value of something ? A comparaison start to a a reference tube so … hm . It’s maybe too complex to me 😅. Let’s play guitar lol. I m not against a partial answer by the way
Different valve types have different internal impedences due to the physical differences in cathode, grid, and anode spacing, construction, and materials. This makes them work best at a particular load impedance and voltages in the transformer primary. Frequently, different manufacturers' valves will have different materials and construction even for the same type.

Amps may or may not be operating at the "optimal" impedance and voltage straight out of the manufacturer. Running off of the optimal impedance changes the harmonic content and frequency response. That is sometimes done deliberately, and sometimes accidentally.

Once you change the valves from the type specified to another, you move away from that amp's specs and sound and get a different set of compromises....

interesting topic. Messed around with changing power tubes on the Dirty Shirley 2 model. It's default is 5881's. I don't have golden ears by any standard, but can hear differences. From what I am hearing, it's the amount of compression that changes from the different power tube types. The 5881's sound as if they are blanketed slightly. Nice warm sound.
EL34's same, but with a little more midrange.
6550's and KT88's have an immediacy to them that I really like.
Point being, I don't hear the amp changing at all, the tone is remaining the same. What seems to be changing is the amount of compression in the frequency spectrum. Maybe compression is the wrong word to describe it, but that's what it feels and sounds like.

To add to Joe's excellent answer, yes, the simple answer is fairly simple, but the full answer is secret, and I am sure Cliff would not want to tell anyone exactly how he does it. In its simplest terms a tube is simply modelled as a valve. (In fact in UK english we call them valves for that very reason). They are a valve with an output of current flow, and that flow is modulated by applying an input voltage (i.e. the signal from the preamp) that controls the flow. The current goes from there to an output transformer, where it is turned into a higher current at lower voltage that drives the voice coil of the speaker. Tube, transformer and voice coil interactions are what my PhD supervisor used to refer to as "non trivial", which was a back-handed way of saying that it's complicated, and there may actually not be a well-defined mathematical solution in the end. If there is no good mathematical model, there will be no good DSP emulation.

So for someone like myself with fairly rudimentary coding ability, a basic understanding of circuit emulation, and some postgrad experience in electronics (NOT DSP or audio electronics mind you) I could knock you up a fairly basic simulation of a transconductance amplifier with relatively linear transfer functions. Hell I could probably make it clip, but it wouldn't sound like a tube amp, and changing tube models wouldn't change all that much other than the point where it starts clipping. If you gave me 5 years to work on it, I could start trying to figure out the interaction with magnetic and inductive components which are much more important in shaping the tone. I might even come up with something that sounds good, but quite probably not in the league of Fractal products.

Over the last 5 years I've been updating and listening to AxeFX II, then Axe FX III. The sophistication of the modelling was always impressive, but Cygnus does something really clever with the way the tube model interacts with the power supply, still more so with its interaction with the output transformer, and the output transformer reflects its interaction with the speaker back to the tubes, so that matters too. Cliff seems to have found some "secret sauce" that not only makes amp models feel dynamically realistic in a good way, but also allows control of the dynamics so that even more tube amp "goodness" can be expressed than in the amps that are being modelled.

In the thread Piing directed us to, Cliff's suggestion was that rather than trying lots of different tube types, or indeed trying to model specific changes of tube brand, tweak the LF and HF resonance in the output transformer model to your personal taste. Definitely beats the idea of biasing and testing 5 sets of power tubes to see which sound best in a real amp.

I hope some of that makes sense in a helpful way. If not, don't worry, like you I'll be happier just to play my guitar.

Liam

Last edited:
For metal applications I don't hear a difference between tubes. That's because the power tubes aren't being driven, and since tubes are basically linear responses, there's no real difference until they're driven (and become non-linear). However, when you crank the master in to poweramp distortion, slight differences do appear between tubes- when they break up, how they break up, etc, because some tubes are more responsive towards low end (the LF parameter with the speakers) and same with high end, dictating how they sound distorted.

Just my 2c

To add to Joe's excellent answer, yes, the simple answer is fairly simple, but the full answer is secret, and I am sure Cliff would not want to tell anyone exactly how he does it.

In one word: SPICE (Or any simulation model that he may have. Maybe he has his own, embedded at his head :D )

SPICE mathematically predicts the behavior of a tube or a solid-state component under varying conditions.

If you want to really try to hear the difference in MV amps you should turn the gain way down and crank the MV. then swap the tubes and listen. then slowly increase the gain with each tube change. This pushes the tube and you should hear any differences if any at all.

Back
Top Bottom