Exploring the Fender Models

Nice!

The 5F8 Tweed is my current clean/breakup favorite.

Bass 1.50, Mid 10, Treble 10.

I run it into the same 2x12 or 4x12 (IR) as I use with the Friedman BE models. Which probably is considered blasphemy by someone, but I like that sound a lot (and The Black Crowes did too).

I run it into the same 2x12 or 4x12 (IR) as I use with the Friedman BE models. Which probably is considered blasphemy by someone, but I like that sound a lot (and The Black Crowes did too).

Me too! I love the "one preset" concept that you preach. Are you making a GIANT preset with the III? I ran out of CPU on the II, before I needed a footswitch bigger than the MFC. Your GT22 MAIN preset is HUGE, but now you shouldn't have to compromise. Are you going to explore the FC6/12's vs. stick with GT22?

Fenders are perfect for these HUGE single presets. I've been using two 59 Bassman clean/crunch for seamless switching on the II. Can't wait to watch the Fender Amp Models video. Thanks guys.

Me too! I love the "one preset" concept that you preach. Are you making a GIANT preset with the III? I ran out of CPU on the II, before I needed a footswitch bigger than the MFC. Your GT22 MAIN preset is HUGE, but now you shouldn't have to compromise. Are you going to explore the FC6/12's vs. stick with GT22?

Fenders are perfect for these HUGE single presets. I've been using two 59 Bassman clean/crunch for seamless switching on the II. Can't wait to watch the Fender Amp Models video. Thanks guys.

I have indeed a "main" preset which serves as my library for song-specific presets. It runs at 79%. My RJM layout is based on it.

Already owning and loving the GT/22, I'll stick with it. I just love have that many switches at my disposal.

But the feature set of the FC is awesome.

Nice!

The 5F8 Tweed is my current clean/breakup favorite.

Bass 1.50, Mid 10, Treble 10.

Trying those those settings through a 4x12 IR at the moment - amazing.

You are correct, the original Bassman would have been a 4x10, not a 1x15.

The 5F8 is definitely my favorite Tweed Fender model in the AxeIII. Nice job on that one! The Tweed Deluxe would be my second favorite. I'm going to have to explore that EC model.

Great job Leon. I'm a low/mid gain player who owns a couple of vintage Fender amps, and these videos have been fantastic and the amp sounds are very inspiring (your videos were partially responsible for pushing me over the Axe FX III edge last month)! It's refreshing to see someone tackle these sounds. I've been pointing folks to your videos, because I think they can really change the minds of people who think the Axe is a high gain-only machine.

@2112 Curious if you are only running these into your computer and monitoring on smaller monitors? Many of your settings you remove the bass, but when I try these settings for live use and turn up the volume the lack of low end is not good. Sounds good maybe recorded but not live. I use the Tweed Twin HP primarily anymore and have for some time. I have entered Urban and Bonamassa's settings into two channels to compare my settings. So, only curious as most of the videos on YouTube (everyone's that is) are more setup for "into a computer" settings rather than live.

Great job Leon. I'm a low/mid gain player who owns a couple of vintage Fender amps, and these videos have been fantastic and the amp sounds are very inspiring (your videos were partially responsible for pushing me over the Axe FX III edge last month)! It's refreshing to see someone tackle these sounds. I've been pointing folks to your videos, because I think they can really change the minds of people who think the Axe is a high gain-only machine.

The Axe is a long way ahead of the pack with lower gains sounds IMO, they're simply phenomenal.

@2112 Curious if you are only running these into your computer and monitoring on smaller monitors? Many of your settings you remove the bass, but when I try these settings for live use and turn up the volume the lack of low end is not good. Sounds good maybe recorded but not live. I use the Tweed Twin HP primarily anymore and have for some time. I have entered Urban and Bonamassa's settings into two channels to compare my settings. So, only curious as most of the videos on YouTube (everyone's that is) are more setup for "into a computer" settings rather than live.

Adam A7X monitors, turned up moderately loud but not gig volume loud. I actually cut more bass when taking these live; I also cut a lot of high end too, so what you're hearing hear may be an overabundance of high end.

I have indeed a "main" preset which serves as my library for song-specific presets. It runs at 79%. My RJM layout is based on it.

Already owning and loving the GT/22, I'll stick with it. I just love have that many switches at my disposal.

But the feature set of the FC is awesome.
Do you think there will be any functionality on the FC6/12 that you cant get on the GT/22? I have an RJM LT. I don't think I am going to switch at this time unless there is a compelling reason.

Any tip for using the fender models with a les Paul and humbuckers? This is primarily what I play and I’ve bever been able to get a great tone with the fender models. It’s always a flubby dark tone. And I’ve always had a hard time dialing in a nice touch sensitive clean tone. It’s always so sterile sounding to me. Whenever I’ve played through a real fender they are usually so loud and powerful that the touch sensitivity is phenomenal on them. How can I recreate this?
I know fenders and humhuckers are not typically used In the same sentence.

Any tip for using the fender models with a les Paul and humbuckers? This is primarily what I play and I’ve bever been able to get a great tone with the fender models. It’s always a flubby dark tone. And I’ve always had a hard time dialing in a nice touch sensitive clean tone. It’s always so sterile sounding to me. Whenever I’ve played through a real fender they are usually so loud and powerful that the touch sensitivity is phenomenal on them. How can I recreate this?
I have had similar struggles with humbucker guitars .
I've found that dropping the amp block " Input Trim " to .7 or lower helps breath some life into the sound and feel . Another feature that helps on some of my guitars is that the humbuckers have coil splitting switches . Not the same as playing a Strat or Tele but does give some alternative options .

Hi Leon,
Many thanks for your great video's, suggestions, tips and explanations.
Very useful for me and i think for many others.
Enjoying this very much, cheers.

Start w/ the Magic Six (Drive 6/5.56, Bass 2/1.11, Mid 3/2.22, Treble 6/5.6) and adjust to taste from there.
*The second value more accurately reflects the 1-10 knobs on Fenders vs. the 0-10 range of Fractals, but they're pretty close.

Here's my go to reference for LP into a Fender
Mike Bloomfield > LP > Super Reverb!

Start w/ the Magic Six (Drive 6/5.56, Bass 2/1.11, Mid 3/2.22, Treble 6/5.6) and adjust to taste from there.
*The second value more accurately reflects the 1-10 knobs on Fenders vs. the 0-10 range of Fractals, but they're pretty close.

Here's my go to reference for LP into a Fender
Mike Bloomfield > LP > Super Reverb!

Good point about the magic 6 settings translating to the Axe, i'll include that in my next vid. Bloomfield is on fire on that record; I'll always remember my Dad giving me that album and saying "Think you like blues hey? Check THIS out"

Leon, your Factory-1 CAB# 77 1x10PrinceToneBlack313A is green (Non-Ultra-Res), but on my Axe-Edit is violet (UltraRes). Why your Factory IRs seem to be downgraded to Non-UtraRes? :p

Last edited:
Leon, your Factory-1 CAB# 77 1x10PrinceToneBlack313A is green (Non-Ultra-Res), but on my Axe-Edit is violet (UltraRes). Why your Factory IRs seem to be downgraded to Non-UtraRes? :p

May have been a bug, it's showing up fine now. Either that or Cliff has is testing how much attention we're paying to everything :D

A day with nothing to bitch about the Axe-FX is a dull day :D:D

No company in the world has such an excellent customer service as FAS, but no company in the world has such a horde of picky testers giving feedback as we are :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom