Exploring the 2290 Delay

Axe-Master
In my mini series on lead boosts i covered a few delay types i like and only skimmed over the 2290. It's a special beast in that it phase reverses one side of the spectrum to give a spatial or widening effect in additional to providing ducking and modulation; of course the Axe can do so much more than the original unit that it's worth exploring all the options in depth.

Make sure you listen in stereo ;)

Another awesome video @2112 !

Personally I have long been out of love with the real 2290. I have owned it several times. Back when it was new, it was a very big deal that it should sound so clean and have such great features. It used a different methods compared to many other "vintage digital" delays and this really set it apart. In my opinion, however, during the intervening years, other delays have surpassed it in terms of sound quality and features. In fact, I will throw down the gauntlet and say that apples-to-apples, the Axe-Fx version (in the context of the full delay block with all of its extra options) is better than the original—it sounds just as good and has even more features which are highly musical and very inspiring. I've had several celebrity guitar players—including one very well known for using delays—agree with me on this and remove vintage 2290 units from the rack.

@2112 : Your playing and overall tone always make it, as another poster stated, "a better day".

Last edited:
YAGV - "yet another great video" - really appreciate all the sharing you do, Leon.

YEARS ago I had the 2290 and it's dedicated foot-controller. Loved the thing. We had moved to Japan thanks to my wife's career, and when it came time to move back to the states I mailed everything back insured mail. My 2290 was utterly destroyed in transit - like someone rolled their truck over it. Was so sad then, but had proof of purchase and everything documented so got my $ back. The 2290 in my fractal stuff makes me happy both nostalgically and neoteric-ally. (if that's the right word!)
EDIT: found a pic! ha.

Attachments

• 2290rig.jpg
    2290rig.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 127
In my mini series on lead boosts i covered a few delay types i like and only skimmed over the 2290. It's a special beast in that it phase reverses one side of the spectrum to give a spatial or widening effect in additional to providing ducking and modulation; of course the Axe can do so much more than the original unit that it's worth exploring all the options in depth.

Make sure you listen in stereo ;)

Wow Leon! My favorite delay of all time! Alex Lifeson’s use of it turned me on to it. Awesome playing sir!

So how did/do the famous users use the 2290 live in their live rig chain? I'm talking about if the run mono (like most do) do the just take one of the outputs and not combine the two so not to have the phase cancelation issues and not hearing any delay at all?

So how did/do the famous users use the 2290 live in their live rig chain? I'm talking about if the run mono (like most do) do the just take one of the outputs and not combine the two so not to have the phase cancelation issues and not hearing any delay at all?
There's also a switch to disable the reverse phase, FYI.

i would imagine anyone that caliber using the 2290 would run in stereo to reap the full benefit? *shrug* i'm sure there are mono applications too.

great video, thanks heaps Leon!

Made we want to experiment and explore. And you're right: it's instant 80s Shrapnel records tone :D

Great video - as a fan of one of the celebrity guitar players known for using delays, I've enjoyed learning the 2290.

There's also a switch to disable the reverse phase, FYI.

So does that mean for any preset with a 2290 the disable switch would need to be flipped if running in mono live?

The 2290 did have some good EQ options built in too. It really does sound awesome in the Axe-Fx.
Great video.

Great video - as a fan of one of the celebrity guitar players known for using delays, I've enjoyed learning the 2290.

So does that mean for any preset with a 2290 the disable switch would need to be flipped if running in mono live?
If you are using Sum L+R mode, then yes. Otherwise, I think you will hear no delay as the summed signals being 180 degrees out of phase will cancel each other.

If you are just using 1 side of the output, you should be ok.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a popular block and for good reasons. I'm planning on doing a few more in depth videos with specific blocks and effects in the future.

@Admin M@ that speaks volumes right there. It's easy to forget just how amazing the effects side of the Axe is given the amps are so good.

@sskkmm that's a sweet looking rig; what pre is that?

@deakle is Alex used it chances are it's something a lot of us, myself included, are going to dig (especially the Axe :) )

@ccroyalsenders the Killing Hand absolutely gives me chills on that record. I really liked Charlie's voice on that one.

Back
Top Bottom