Explorer Strap Button Location

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Interested to hear from anyone who owns an Explorer that has the upper strap button located on the back of the body (first pic.) versus the traditional location (second pic.) for the button. What do you think of the location, in terms of comfort, balance, stability etc.?

1571325969651.png

1571326110604.png

Last edited:
I have a similar location on my Jackson RR1T and the strap lock button does tend to poke me in the belly. Also similar is my Sully Raven, but I had him put in a recessed Dunlop straplock. It’s way better and totally unobtrusive. I can’t speak to balance etc. on the Explorer shape though.

I have a similar location on my Jackson RR1T and the strap lock button does tend to poke me in the belly. Also similar is my Sully Raven, but I had him put in a recessed Dunlop straplock. It’s way better and totally unobtrusive. I can’t speak to balance etc. on the Explorer shape though.

What I'm noticing, is that the Explorer tends to want to lean forward with the button on the back. The only comparator I have though, are Strats, Tele's and LP's. So I'm not sure if moving the button on the Explorer will solve the problem.

Interested to hear from anyone who owns an Explorer that has the upper strap button located on the back of the body (first pic.) versus the traditional location (second pic.) for the button. What do you think of the location, in terms of comfort, balance, stability etc.?
I haven't noticed any issues, but I sling it slightly lower than the Edge. I'm assuming you flip around the strap lock so the channel is on the front of the strap, not the back, right?

The only Explorer style guitar I have is a ESP Hetfield and it works fine with the strap button (now a Schaller strap lock as with all my other guitars) on the back of the body providing the strap lock is flipped as mentioned. I have a ZW Warhammer and it is the same. Balance is correct and my usual preference is Strat style or PRS. The back of the body "style" location also works with heavy bodied guitars such as National Tricone or brass bodied Dobro's so to me it makes sense that is works compared to the "traditional" location

I have an Explorer with the button on the back and to be honest I don't really think about it. I like the balance and all that. My only thing is it's heavy. After a hour or so I start to notice the weight. I still really like that guitar thou.

Back
Top Bottom