explain the new EQ changes

WatersDeep

Inspired
Can someone explain to me what the new EQ changes from FW15 are all about and how I would use them differently? I get what the firmware update says which is repeated in the Wiki but other than selecting Var Q and Const Q in the dropdown I really don't see/hear what is different or how it responds differently. Are there different options or other settings between them or are the graphic sliders just reacting differently? Or is this just a case of not seeing related new settings in Axe Edit vs Front Panel. I'm just not familiar with this so I'm sorry for my stupid question of the day.

Find any of the V15 factory presets that have a GEQ block.

Change nothing but the const q to var q setting.

I was able to immediately hear the difference.

I guess my feeling is var q is less precise, but more musical to my ears. When I make eq changes it sounds like a nice console eq to my ears.

i guess var q has some overlap among the frequency bands? the variable part is that the less inc/dec in a freq band, the wider the q, the more you adjust the freq, the q gets narrower...?

so maybe it seems more powerful as you are affecting a lot more than just that 125 hz or whatever as you begin to use that slider, as opposed to the constant q where the bandwidth is strictly fixed regardless of how little or much you adjust.

i could totally be wrong (and probably am!).

Constant Q is a fixed bandwidth. The bandwidth of a peaking EQ is the frequency range between the points where the response is 1/2 the peak response in dB. So if the peak response is 10 dB the bandwidth is the range between the points where the response is 5 dB.

Constant Q is a fixed bandwidth. The bandwidth of a peaking EQ is the frequency range between the points where the response is 1/2 the peak response in dB. So if the peak response is 10 dB the bandwidth is the range between the points where the response is 5 dB.

That makes perfect sense now.

So to make sure I am following correctly:

the variable-Q EQ will have more "interaction" with "adjacent" frequencies when the amplitude is closer to 0-dB than when the amplitude is further from 0 (positive or negative)?

Trying to put it more in layman's terminology...

I may have it backwards :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So to make sure I am following correctly:

the variable-Q EQ will have more "interaction" with "adjacent" frequencies when the amplitude is closer to 0-dB than when the amplitude is further from 0 (positive or negative)?

Trying to put it more in layman's terminology...

I may have it backwards :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Another layman's way of describing a variable Q filter would be to imagine using Axe-Edit to adjust the cut/boost level of a band. As you increase the cut/boost of a band, the Q knob for that band would also rotate to increase the Q of that band (and reduce the bandwidth of the filter, making it narrower). As you reduce the cut/boost, the Q knob would rotate to reduce the Q of that band (and increase the bandwidth of the filter, making it wider). I prefer constant Q, but can get good results using either type of filter.

what happened to the 5-band EQ frequencies? A few updates ago some recto models had the mark 5-band in the amp block, now it's a 10-band, and the 5-bands in the graphic EQ block now just say low/Lmid/mid/Hmid/high. are the freqs still at 80/240/750/2200/6600?

what happened to the 5-band EQ frequencies? A few updates ago some recto models had the mark 5-band in the amp block, now it's a 10-band, and the 5-bands in the graphic EQ block now just say low/Lmid/mid/Hmid/high. are the freqs still at 80/240/750/2200/6600?

If they are saying low,lmid,mid,hmid, and high you are looking at the passive eq, not the mark 5 band.

Back
Top Bottom