Experiencing a lot of feedback from the mic in rehearsal

Savrot

So i've always had trouble getting the microphones to a decent level without getting feedback. So i thought that i maybe the fractal forum have some tips that i can use.

I know how to set the gain properly, i think. We dont have a PFL so we usually just sing and see if it peaks, and when it does we turn it down a bit.

We try to have the microphone behind the speakers, although our rehearsal room is quite small.

Been looking to get a feedback destroyer, does anyone know how well they work?

Any tips and tricks would be much appriciated :)

Eq.

Feedback destroyers just automate the eq process.
Look for a cheap graphic if your desk is insufficient to cut the offending frequencies.
Small rooms are tough though. Pa speakers are designed to be long throw.
Consider an in ear setup. Although that would require some investment.
Or just play quieter.

Putting the mics correctly in front of your speakers, mind the mic pickup patterns, will let you prevent feedback, have lower volume levels and more accurate monitoring.

Eq.

Feedback destroyers just automate the eq process.
Look for a cheap graphic if your desk is insufficient to cut the offending frequencies.
Small rooms are tough though. Pa speakers are designed to be long throw.
Consider an in ear setup. Although that would require some investment.
Or just play quieter.

We are a live coverband so playing quieter is out of the question. I will look into a grapfic Eq! Thanks!

Putting the mics correctly in front of your speakers, mind the mic pickup patterns, will let you prevent feedback, have lower volume levels and more accurate monitoring.

What does more accurate monitoring mean? How can i know what patterns the mic pick up sound?

If you are behind a speaker you will lose a lot of the upper audio content, so you will miss a lot of details.

The pickup patterns are written on the mic (cardiod, 8, ...) or on the manual.
IIRC Shure has a nice guide about mic/speaker placement regarding the mic pickup pattern.

Last thing: isn't the 52A a kick drum mic?

If you are behind a speaker you will lose a lot of the upper audio content, so you will miss a lot of details.

The pickup patterns are written on the mic (cardiod, 8, ...) or on the manual.
IIRC Shure has a nice guide about mic/speaker placement regarding the mic pickup pattern.

Last thing: isn't the 52A a kick drum mic?

Sorry, i meant 58a. We have the 52a aswell so i remebered wrong.

Hm yeah i noticed that, when you stand beside them you almost only get bass. Where can you find that manual?

Thank you, i will read this.

Är verkligen en lång inlärningskurva att bli självlärd ljudtekniker åt bandet. Läser dock ganska mycket böcker just nu för att lära mig ordentligt. Det här forumet är dock super för att tidsoptimera :) återigen, tack så mycket!

Hej!

Jag visste inte att du är från Sverige! Jag flyttade ett år sen!
Jag vill börja att leta efter en band snart, om du känner nån runt Karlskrona eller i blekinge vänliga låt mig veta :)

In your rehearsal space, you might consider pointing the speakers towards you ( like with monitors) so you can hear them.

If you can't hear the vocals, the tendency is to turn them up too much and you are sure to have feedback.

Hej!

Jag visste inte att du är från Sverige! Jag flyttade ett år sen!
Jag vill börja att leta efter en band snart, om du känner nån runt Karlskrona eller i blekinge vänliga låt mig veta :)

Okej! Jag bor uppe i Norrland så är ganska långt borta tyvärr. Men kolla facebook, dom brukar ha grupper där folk i staden söker band :)

I apologize, but I'm trying to post my own thread regarding how to set up a microphone through axe fx, but I keep getting an error saying it may be too spam-like or contain inappropriate elements (I don't think it is or does), so an admin recommended I respond to posts to gain some reputation with the security features, so that's what I'm doing. I cannot help with your query as I am unable to setup my mic properly, once again, my apologies.

I apologize, but I'm trying to post my own thread regarding how to set up a microphone through axe fx, but I keep getting an error saying it may be too spam-like or contain inappropriate elements (I don't think it is or does), so an admin recommended I respond to posts to gain some reputation with the security features, so that's what I'm doing. I cannot help with your query as I am unable to setup my mic properly, once again, my apologies.
And how is this not spam?

You should reply with actual contributions to threads where you can help IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom