Expensive Equipment at smaller gigs

I use my regular equipment at every gig. AX8 into the FOH, and in larger venues I use my Flextone as a stage rig.

My choice of guitars might vary.

I got the old roll eyes from a long time local mister promoter guy as he asks "don't you think that AXE FX is a little bit overkill for this gig"?
I bring the kitchen sink. The only thing that changes per gig for me is sometimes I will bring a V30 212 if its outdoors or a large room, otherwise its 2 Xitone wedges.

LOL!

Still, some considerations should probably be made for the venue though. There's not much point in showing up to a tiny bar which can house 10 people in the audience with a full 2x 4x12 cab Marshall stack which has to be fully cranked up. Thankfully, we Fractal heads have a little more flexibility then that.

I can appreciate the sentiment that it can look weird and arrogant to show up with a massive rig for a tiny show or to play for four people and the owner's dog. There were times that I held that viewpoint myself. But the Axe FX does not depend on needing to be fully cranked like a tube amp, so you can dial it in as softly as you want to go. So as long as you do not take up more stage space then the rest of the band combined......, and also true arrogance is not in gear but in behavior. And you don't need to have the biggest rig or to be the most successful to be an arrogant SOB. Plenty of people manage to be one without those.
Well, I said I would always take the axefx and the guitar with me, I don't own a single cab or PA system :D

It’s all relative, doesn’t matter if you have $500 or $5000 with of gear, odds are your going to that gig in a car that’s worth probably $20,000 or more.....Maybe with a $1200 smartphone on your person too

Does someone need a $1500 guitar for a gig ? I don’t know, does someone need a $60,000 pickup truck to go to Home Depot ?

As long as you can take care of what you need to take care of, I say more power to anyone if they can have and enjoy nice things, regardless of if they need them.

No one says on their deathbed “I wished I played a Squier my whole life” right ?

I bring it all. but my rig is pretty small now, so size is not an issue. I am very particular about letting stuff out of my sight at small shows, any show for that matter. I will not leave my stuff unattended, while loading or unloading. Eyes always on the prize.

Smart thinking. It only takes one careless moment and you wouldn't be the first musician to regret it.

It’s all relative, doesn’t matter if you have $500 or $5000 with of gear, odds are your going to that gig in a car that’s worth probably $20,000 or more.....Maybe with a $1200 smartphone on your person too

Does someone need a $1500 guitar for a gig ? I don’t know, does someone need a $60,000 pickup truck to go to Home Depot ?

As long as you can take care of what you need to take care of, I say more power to anyone if they can have and enjoy nice things, regardless of if they need them.

No one says on their deathbed “I wished I played a Squier my whole life” right ?

As one gets older one tends to collect more stuff, and generally more expensive stuff. As a general rule one is far more likely to see lots of gear with older musicians then young musicians, if only because even if money weren't a problem they had less time to collect it all. Some of us become minimalists and get rid of lots of stuff, but that doesn't mean they revert back to basic cheap stuff, if anything what they keep is more expensive because they finally figured out what it is that they want. Which usually isn't a Squier guitar into a Behringer pedal into a Line 6 Spyder amp. So chances what little they have will be both good and enough to make most others cry with envy.

I regularly gig 3 different rigs for my main gigs- AA12 to FOH for corp band gig, Gigrig/Strymon/dirt pedals to Port City Pearl for when sound is king, and AXE3 for the Rush Tribute when I need a preset for each song with all the fixins.

Only time i don't bring one of these is when there is a chance someone random will be sitting in or if its at something like a house party where drunk people have a clear path to gear.

...As one gets older one tends to collect more stuff, and generally more expensive stuff. As a general rule one is far more likely to see lots of gear with older musicians then young musicians, if only because even if money weren't a problem they had less time to collect it all. Some of us become minimalists and get rid of lots of stuff, but that doesn't mean they revert back to basic cheap stuff, if anything what they keep is more expensive because they finally figured out what it is that they want. Which usually isn't a Squier guitar into a Behringer pedal into a Line 6 Spyder amp. So chances what little they have will be both good and enough to make most others cry with envy.

I'm kind of an odd duck in that respect. I have what I consider to be the very best modeler on the planet (AFX III), but I gig with an assortment of relatively inexpensive MIM Strats, PRS SEs, a Michael Kelly Tele, and a Variax that's strictly being used as a platform for my GR-55 synth. Average price of my gig guitars is probably somewhere around $400, not including pickup upgrades. I'd love to be gigging with more expensive guitars, but it'd break my heart to bump into a mic stand or crash cymbal with the body of a $2000 guitar. But if a a $300 Strat falls off a stand face first onto the stage, no big deal. (For some reason I don't worry that much about my AFX getting damaged at a show, but I do watch it like a hawk during load in/out.) I also feel I can make a cheap guitar sound good with a great modeler easier than I could make a great guitar sound good with a cheap modeler.

In my case not at all.
My guitar and the axefx are the most expensive items I own and the only ones I bought new in shop. I have for some weeks still a motorcycle, I drive my wife's car :D
I just happened to gather all my money since being a teenager in hobbies and used to sell things to get another.
No gucci in my mind, I just want to play this gear and no other :)

I'm kind of an odd duck in that respect. I have what I consider to be the very best modeler on the planet (AFX III), but I gig with an assortment of relatively inexpensive MIM Strats, PRS SEs, a Michael Kelly Tele, and a Variax that's strictly being used as a platform for my GR-55 synth. Average price of my gig guitars is probably somewhere around $400, not including pickup upgrades. I'd love to be gigging with more expensive guitars, but it'd break my heart to bump into a mic stand or crash cymbal with the body of a $2000 guitar. But if a a $300 Strat falls off a stand face first onto the stage, no big deal. (For some reason I don't worry that much about my AFX getting damaged at a show, but I do watch it like a hawk during load in/out.) I also feel I can make a cheap guitar sound good with a great modeler easier than I could make a great guitar sound good with a cheap modeler.

It still sounds like you're still a step up from playing Squier Affinity Strats, and you most certainly don't use Behringer pedals into a Line 6 Spyder. :D

I can understand your sentiment regarding more expensive guitars and not wanting them to get damaged on the road. Which is why I think that unless you are a top tier musician with his own guitar techs and roadies to take care of his gear all those expensive high end guitars are more likely to never leave the bedroom. Or worse, disappear behind glass. Which is kinda sad, because guitars are meant to be played, not hoarded. They're also tools to be used, and tools will develop wear and tear. Think of it as proud battle scars.

But I can understand the sentiment. Which is why I also think on average the best gigging guitar is between 500 to a 1000 USD or EUR. Still better then the cheap entry levels guitars but not expensive enough for you to warrant locking them up in your bedroom. Personally I don't even want guitars that are that expensive. One of my favorite guitars, the one I plan on taking with me into the grave is a MIK Fender Lite Ash Strat, which cost around €500+. I don't believe in tone wood, electronics can be easily upgraded, so are better pickups and hardware. All you really need is a good body and most importantly a good neck.

I am a hobby player, jamming, few gigs for fun, zero pay. Still bring my own guitar and Axe-Fx, doesn't matter if its local, Shanghai or Tokyo.
I want my tones and my guitar setup like I want it. I am sure nobody would care less in the audience, but I do.. so I keep dragging my stuff around.
And my discussions with Chinese customs on what the heck an Axe-Fx is and whether it should be submitted for duties or not could be a full sitcom itself. :D

For me knowing your equipment is as important as knowing the songs you play. In recent years I play mostly in church and have only had issues when I leave equipment and someone pranks with it.
Life is short and I want to play what I enjoy and believe to sound good. That said, I am constantly in search for quality first, portability second. If I buy something I fully intend to use it, although that doesn't always happen.

Also, you guys get paid? I'm doing something wrong :p

I am a hobby player, jamming, few gigs for fun, zero pay. Still bring my own guitar and Axe-Fx, doesn't matter if its local, Shanghai or Tokyo.
I want my tones and my guitar setup like I want it. I am sure nobody would care less in the audience, but I do.. so I keep dragging my stuff around.
And my discussions with Chinese customs on what the heck an Axe-Fx is and whether it should be submitted for duties or not could be a full sitcom itself. :D

Please make one! I've recently become addicted to all things China thanks to those guys from the advchina channel.

No pay no cure. No gigs under 400€ except benefit events or friends' parties; even if we're amateurs no reason to add money for playing in a bar. Would your favourite cook come to your place for 100 quit ? No. So why should you do so. We also refuse places where you get your pay as a result of entrances.
I only use axe fx and wouldn't imagine to adapt equipment to the pay we get.
Sure, we maybe play less but I'm doing this for kicks so no reason to prostitute ourselves for making a bar run their beer sales without paying the musicians

I know we all laugh at the saying $5000+ worth of gear, traveling 2 hrs to gig for $100. But just curious if any of you use less expensive equipment for gigs that either don't justify all the lugging around, less damage risk or just for simplicity.

For me my current system is for all my gigs.
This consists of my Ax8 and Ev ZXL 12's powered monitors.
I have 3 Ev's and they are versatile as wedges and or the main PA for small gigs, sometimes just for guitar in my band and can add or take away depending on the gig I'm doing. An 8 Chanel small Yamaha mixer and Presonus 16.0.2.
No complaints on sound, I am able to be heard in a solo gig, in a 2 piece and in a band. I fit in and get compliments on sound.
However I am considering a "B" level system for some of the smaller gigs and wonder.
If you have a smaller rig, I assume some comprimize on sound, what do you use?
The smaller gigs, would be vocal, acoustic, electric, not always but would include backing tracks.
Doing some beach front gigs consistently now and worry with the rain season, damaging the good stuff.
We carry a lot of equipment full pa and subs 2 different mixing boards and lights...
I carry my Peavey stereo chorus 400 and effects we play a lot of out door gigs...
I’m still not using the Fx iii for live shows I’m just using it here at the house for now and waiting on the FC 12 then I will start using it for gigs I’m really looking foward to it.

The discussion reminds me of GE Smith’s latest rig rundown. John Bollinger asked him if he sweats gigging with a 50s Esquire and Tele, on a 58 and 60 Tweed Deluxe, etc. GE said no, they’re tools! It would be like a carpenter buying a hammer, trying it out and deciding it was really an awesome hammer, then leaving it home rather than “gigging” with it. Doesn’t make sense.

Wisdom.

The discussion reminds me of GE Smith’s latest rig rundown. John Bollinger asked him if he sweats gigging with a 50s Esquire and Tele, on a 58 and 60 Tweed Deluxe, etc. GE said no, they’re tools! It would be like a carpenter buying a hammer, trying it out and deciding it was really an awesome hammer, then leaving it home rather than “gigging” with it. Doesn’t make sense.

Wisdom.

A buddy of mine has a very extensive collection of vintage Fenders and Gibson guitars. He only gigs once or twice a month (like me), but he brings guitars to bars gigs that cost as much as my 2010 4Runner. He recently brought out to the local pub a Les Paul that Billy Gibbons signed and gave him about 10 years ago. (He used to go a lot of guitar tech work for Billy when he lived in LA. They became good friends. I need to find me a friend like that, lol.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom