Exp Pedal use....what you use it for....and more importantly....why??

The_Kid

Experienced
Ok....So I've got a new LAMF+12+ on the way......really opens up some programming possibilities I was limted to with my current Ground Control Pro (even more so with the couple menu buttons not working). Anyway...I've mapped out my new presets I'll be making so I can use them in a Setlist/Song mode....instead of designing one preset to handle a whole song's worth of sounds. Should allow for some more consistency as well as flexibility with effects.

The problem (if you want to consider it such)....

I currently have 2 mission expression pedals....and with the way I program my rig, I have the right pedal (Exp 1) set to turn on my lead sounds (comp/drive/filter/delay) and my left (Exp 2) doing any amp changes or effects changes required during the song. It's efficient and has worked great with the rig I've had. This isn't really been a problem...BUT...

...now with being able to program the Amp changes via Song mode, and programming the effects changes into Song mode via IA switches (more programming flexibility layout-wise)...I have essentially really free'd up my EXP pedals for other uses. Sure...I have a few patches where WAH is controlled...or I can use a Whammy, or turn on my Talkbox via Ouput 2......but out of the 66 current songs/40 Presets I'll be using, only 14 have an expression pedal tied up to an effect/change. So that leaves me with at least 1 expression pedal free on every patch, and 26 presets with 2 expression pedals not being used.

I know some of you use them for 'mix' parameters for delay/reverb....which admittedly are two of my weaker effects programming wise, but what application does it serve? or what other options can I use them for?

Scott Peterson has done some really innovative stuff with Expression pedal mapping. I bet Yek and Simeon have too. Search the threads. I have one now for a year and still haven't gotten around to using it. Ideally, I'd like 3: 1) input volume first block in each patch 2) Wah (assignable in various places in various patches 3) Output volume (end block of each patch). But I wouldn't mind one for the 'whammy' pitch bend effect, and I know people are using them to mix clean/distorted, which also sounds intriguing. Maybe that's why Scott's got like 4 of 'em in his setup.

i have two. one is always tied to a volume block in every patch...usually after the cab and before the fx. the other one is used for...

wah
whammy
rotary speed
vibe speed
amp morph (clean to dirty)
delay level
delay feedback
other fx level (pitch shifter etc)
pitch octave
synth vibrato width
filter frequency
dry level (in some fx patches)
synth drone level

loads of others, but these are just off the top of my head

^^^ Same setup for me as Simeon there. One to a VOL block always that's almost always after the CAB and before delay and reverb in the patch. The other is whatever I need it to be. It changes based on the scene and the patch. In my more vanilla patches it's tied to wah across all the scenes. But sometimes it's tied to pitch (for whammy), delay feedback (for riding an oscillating delay thing to the stars), etc.

I've got more more expression pedals here...consider adding a third. But honestly, it'd be overkill. I don't adjust many things on the fly with my feet.

I use two pedals, one dedicated to Volume and the other for Wah/Whammy/Expression.

Make up some variant presets and see how often you reach for Whammy, or Delay Feedback, or Mod Speed, etc.
See how much use these "expressions" are in your music.

Maybe make up a few creative signature "Wild Card" tones.

Three.

One with spring, mostly for Wah.

A mini one, mostly for effect rate (Tremolo, Rotary ....).

Another mini one, mostly for special stuff (on/off etc.).

Hmm....I read all the uses you guys mention and just not sure I'd use them. I have them tied to wah/whammy if needed on that patch...but so far with my patches I only need 1, not sure what I'd even need/want to control with the second. I guess its not bad to have an 'extra' pedal if I ever do need it...

I use three. One dedicated to Volume placed right after the cab. The next is dedicated to Wah. Auto engage set. The third is my wet/dry mix. I use it to increase the delay/reverb/multidelay mix. On a few patches, the Wah pedal is assigned to other things, like a low pass filter for my acoustic patch (listen to Avicii's Wake Me Up) or a Whammy. But mostly, Wah.
The ONE pedal I cannot do without is the Volume pedal. It solved all the "preset leveling" issues and allows me to mix my guitar in live.

I use three. I have four but I can't get myself to use it. Three fit on my pedal board with the LF+12+. One is dedicated to wah. Another us volume mostly. Sometimes is distortion level. The next is special effects like pitch or ring modulation.

I'm a jazz guitarist so it's all improv. I don't have anything set to songs per se. So I need to be able to think on the fly.

I have a Bæhringer FCB1010. I use one for expression for volume and most of the time the other one is in-gain on delay so I can use it almost as a sustain pedal if I want that.
On other stuff it's wah or whammy.

I am begining to mess a bit with tap tempo stuff I think I could use that very well in some of the stuff I do.

Jens

I use 4, two Mission Pedals and two mini knobs ([ME] Mini Expression Pedal | T1M EFFECTS). I use 1 spring loaded Mission pedal almost exclusively for Wah (and once in a while for whammy), my other Mission pedal is mostly for Delay Mix, my first mini expression pedal is exclusively used as a master volume attached to a volume block after the cab block, and the last mini expression pedal is mostly used for rate in my phaser. I could easily do without the last one. Here’s how it looks:

mfc101_zps46eda9f3.jpg

I have one SP-1 permanently on input volume duties, and another that's generally for wah. When it's not being a wah that 2nd one might control pitch, or blending in of an effect, or whatever. I'm not a big FX guy though, so mostly it's just a wah. I still like to have a separate dedicated volume pedal though as I use that a fair bit.

Back
Top Bottom