Existing GT22 users - FM9 Turbo thoughts please

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
I use an RJM GT22 with my AxeFX3. I've not played live since Covid, however that looks to change in the next month - so I am not loving the idea of lugging my AxeFX and GT22 around again (I know right, it used to be tube amps and pedalboards!!). I am 'considering' getting the FM9 Turbo, keeping my AxeFX for occasional studio work, and selling my GT22 (to fund the FM9).

The problem I have is, I really love my GT22! But it is very sad that it just sits on the ground in my study and even though it powers on with my AxeFX I generally use AxeEdit to change Scenes etc. It's like an amazing dog that I never take out for walks anymore, but it always makes me happy when I see it!

My GT22 has quite a few of my own custom workflows in it and is fully designed to suit to my live process, however it only controls the AxeFX and nothing else.

Also, my presets will mostly port to the FM9 (especially the Turbo) so I can easily tweak the ones that use too much CPU.

So I am curious, you guys who own both units (GT22 and FM9), what are your thoughts on you switching from the GT22 to an FM9 for live use in your own use case? You have been a great source of wisdom for me in similar areas in the past, so I would really appreciate your input again please!

Last edited:
I cannot fathom using my GT/22 with my FM9. The portable power of the FM9 goes out the window if i’m lugging the GT/22 as well. I retired the GT/22 to home use only after the move back East and for that it’s awesome. It runs my Ableton sessions and my III (but even with the III I mostly use the FC12).

If I needed more switches with my FM9 I’d sidecar an FC6. But I generally don’t lack for switches on the FM9. Across 8 layouts there’s tons of room for everything I need to do live.

Sorry Ian, I didn't word it very well. I was meaning that I would use the FM9 without the GT/22. So the FM9 would be a replacement for the complete AxeIII & GT/22 rig. Having never used an FC Controller or FM9 I'm keen to get opinions from the likes of yourself and other users who have. Thanks for the feedback you have given me though!

It is interesting that you would use the FC12 with your AxeIII, and the FM9 pretty much does enough for you with the number of buttons. My GT/22 layout is similar to yours, I didn't copy your setup that you shared but I knew I was on the right track when I saw how similar our setup configs were. Thanks for always being so helpful in the RJM forum!

Oh. Hmm. Well, I don't know how you're using the GT/22 and III so it's hard to say if you'll find it works for you the same way or in as satisfying a way as the III + GT/22 does.

Agreed, I can't ask anyone to tell me if it will work for me, I'm more interested if users who own both (or owned both) found that moving from the GT/22 to the FM9 was an easy or difficult decision to make.

It wasn't hard to use the FM9 live. But I didn't really use the GT/22 live very much. I wouldn't give up the GT/22 unless I had to, it's a great center piece to control my home recording and looping setup.

I'll step back now and let someone else try to help. :D

I'll be interested to see the answers to this thread as I'm contemplating this as well (albiet, using a Liquid Foot Jr+ with 4 external switches). In my case I'm also a little worried as several of my presets are 79% on the axe III.

It wasn't hard to use the FM9 live. But I didn't really use the GT/22 live very much. I wouldn't give up the GT/22 unless I had to, it's a great center piece to control my home recording and looping setup.

I'll step back now and let someone else try to help. :D
Thanks for the advice, it is always appreciated. I’m definitely not using the full potential of the GT/22 when playing live, and at home I pretty much use it just for the AxeIII. I’m leaning more towards the FM9, but having trouble convincing myself to sell the GT/22.

I guess I need to go back to basics and draw up a list of pros and cons.

I'll be interested to see the answers to this thread as I'm contemplating this as well (albiet, using a Liquid Foot Jr+ with 4 external switches). In my case I'm also a little worried as several of my presets are 79% on the axe III.
My presets are in that CPU region as well. If I go for the FM9 then I already know what I’ll be chopping from them to save power.

It's going to depend on what's driving your CPU use. If you post a preset I'll show you what it uses in an FM9 if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom