Exciter Effect

Do you want this feature?

• Total voters

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
This effect emphasises the "stringy-ness" of clean tone, and adds extra crunch to distorted tones. It's great on acoustics, and for electrics its like turning a regular pickup tone into a strat in-between tone. I've attached a short sample using my Boss EH-2 that shows how it emphasises an in-between tone.

Technically, its a type of drive effect, where overdriven harmonics are phase-corrected then mixed with the clean tone.

I'd have to hear more clips of this before I vote either way on this.

As it is both clips sound ever so slightly different, but I can't really say either is "better" than the other in anyway. One is a little brighter in a way, but not in any way that you couldn't get with what's in the Axe-FX already.

I think "show me the money" is the best way I can put it.

Peavey Kosmos effect (better than enhancer?)

I guess it's like a bass (they say Sub-bass) exciter-like effect. I think in essence it's a multi-band enhancer-like effect with far more frequency range than your normal run of the mill enhancer.

You can read some about it here:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/november04/Peavey.shtml

Pretty nifty device. I know that Dream Theater use it in bass, drums, and guitars now in the studio.

I don't think that they are made anymore. There was the Kosmos (cheap), the Kosmos Pro (expensive), and the Kosmos V2 (Kosmos and Kosmos Pro combined into one relatively cheap pkg, IIRC).

Re: Peavey Kosmos effect (better than enhancer?)

brain21 said:
I guess it's like a bass (they say Sub-bass) exciter-like effect. I think in essence it's a multi-band enhancer-like effect with far more frequency range than your normal run of the mill enhancer.

You can read some about it here:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/november04/Peavey.shtml

Pretty nifty device. I know that Dream Theater use it in bass, drums, and guitars now in the studio.

I don't think that they are made anymore. There was the Kosmos (cheap), the Kosmos Pro (expensive), and the Kosmos V2 (Kosmos and Kosmos Pro combined into one relatively cheap pkg, IIRC).

I know "what" it is, but personally I don't hear a difference that could be considered "better."

Different yes, but both the affected, and unaffected tones sound equally good.

I've said the same thing about the BBE Sonic Maximizer back on the L6 boards.

And I'm really more of a fan of old school Dream Theatre. Images & Words era. His rhythm tone on that album is simply the shiznit. The new stuff is OK, but it doesn't have the same growl as the old.

Back
Top Bottom