Example of a preset with fx in parallel rows

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I got a few questions via PM about configuring fx blocks in parallel rows.

First: here's a Wiki page on this topic. And here's a Wicked Wiki edition about parallel paths.

The picture below demonstrates how using multiple blocks in a column can save space on the grid. No need to extend the chain by using Feedback Send/Return (saves some CPU).

Another advantage of blocks in parallel rows is that it's much easier to maintain a consistent volume level when switching effects on/off.

In this example Wah and Pitch are placed in one column to be able to use a single exp. pedal for both effects (alternating between these fx).

demo_grid.jpg

You can use MFC-101 features such as Switch Links to alternate between effects.

Preset: http://members.ziggo.nl/alexandervanengelen/demo_preset.syx

Last edited:
i'd also like to add that you can use parallel rows to set up discrete processing paths. here, i have one path which is a basic guitar tone and a parallel path with lots of processing. using a pedal attached to the volume block after the split, i can kill the main guitar sound and just have the heavily processed sound.

you can do lots of great stuff with parallel paths and get some really good "multitimbral" sounds where different processes are going on at the same time

parallel.jpg

Thanks for this. Could you explain how you use switch links on the MFC to change between whammy and wah?

Switch Links is similar to 'radio button selection' in software: you have multiple choices but only one can be active at the time. So if you select one thing, others are autom. disabled.

I'm not using switch links with wah/whammy because for the purpose a single IA suffices, no need for two.
It's a special config, using a MFC switch that operates as a general function switch. Explained here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/47983-wah-block-mix-parameter.html#post625421

i'd also like to add that you can use parallel rows to set up discrete processing paths. here, i have one path which is a basic guitar tone and a parallel path with lots of processing. using a pedal attached to the volume block after the split, i can kill the main guitar sound and just have the heavily processed sound.

you can do lots of great stuff with parallel paths and get some really good "multitimbral" sounds where different processes are going on at the same time

parallel.jpg

you say you 'kill' the normal guitar sound (1st row) with the second volume pedal, having only the processed sound.
But in this example do you also kill the processed sound with the first volume pedal and have the normal sound only? Or do you have expression pedal parameters attached somewhere to morph between the two sounds? how are your settings of the volume blocks?

Last edited:
you say you 'kill' the normal guitar sound (1st row) with the second volume pedal, having only the processed sound.
But in this example do you also kill the processed sound with the first volume pedal and have the normal sound only? Or do you have expression pedal parameters attached somewhere to morph between the two sounds? how are your settings of the volume blocks?

The first volume block is like a master volume for the whole patch

The first volume block is like a master volume for the whole patch

So does the volume block pan between the straight sound and the precessed sound? This would be great for a smooth transition between the two sounds. I think Clarky has
done some stuff like this.

Sorry crossfade was the wrong word. The second volume simply reduces the level of the dry path, leaving the effect path, which was my intention.

ok, clear. Would be nice to have two pedals. One pedal for the volume of each path. But you could also use a mixer slider attached to a expression pedal and use that pedal as a morph/crossfade between the two sounds. That is how I handle my clean effect/dirty sound with two different amps.

yes, that would work if you wanted to crossfade or isolate each path, but that was not my intention here. i'm only interested in the effect path, really. the second volume block is there simply to add in a bit of the dry patch if i want it. it's the reverse of what most people would consider.

Perhaps a related question to the OP...

In the Mute block or other single effect (say tremelo or some other unusual one), I would like to control that with a specific IA switch (like 11) on the MFC. When I look at the selections for the control, there is no scroll selection for an IA (or CC), just the array of controllers like EXP 1, A, B .... I have an AXII and MFC and use the MFC in a 5 patch mode (bottom row are used for patches, not EFX unless I hit reveal).

Yes I have read the manual (AX and MFC), but can't figure out how to do this.. I don't want this to be a global setting (in the AX or across all presets), just for specific patches..

Any thoughts? Thanks, I'm lost on that..

Pete

Don't follow you... What do you want to control?
What do you mean by "Mute block"?

Sorry, I was off in my description (did not write with AX and AXEDIT in front of me)

I meant Bypass Mode (and setting the controller for that)..

Selections in the Source Controller are LFOs, others and Externs.

Trying to figure out how to set a 'patch specific' MFC IA to enable/disable an EFX (example is a Tremelo block)...

I figure the Paramater Modifier next to the Bypass Mode would be the vehicle for that on/off kind of control...

Thanks...

Ah okay.

Go to the Bypass parameter in the blok and press Enter to open the Modifier menu.
At Source scroll until you reach the Externals. Select one of them.
Exit the Modifier menu.

In I/O > MIDI > CTRL look up the CC for the External you've selected.

On the MFC:
Set one of the IAs to NONE (EDIT > MIDI > IA Axe-Fx ...).
Then set that IA (c1) to the External's CC.
Exit Edit mode.

Now that IA on the MFC will switch the effect on/off.

Thanks,
I'll try that when I get home...

That makes sense... it is IA #12 (I use 11 for x/y), so I'll just keep it at CC#122 and set Extern 10 to CC#122 from 25... I did the same for X/Y with CC#121 (IA#11)...

And now that you helped, I found it on your MFC WIKI..... Me := Dumb User.... :)

That should work..

Back
Top Bottom