Evolving to Fractal FM3

Pacomgl

Hey guys, I’m a new owner of fractal gear and hoping for some insight, tips etc on my setup.

I’m currently running a Laney 2 channel head in a rack loaded with
Alesis Power Conditioner
Korg Pitch Black Tuner
T.C. G Major 2
VL GCX switcher
Drawer with Mod Rex, OCD, OpAmp Big Muff
The floor board has
VL GCP
Boss DD-6
Whammy DT
CAE Wah

I play in an original alt/prog band and I also play in a 90’s tribute band.

I recently purchased the FM3 along with the FC-6.
Did I just replace my whole rig? Aside from the rocker pedals of course. I keep my DD-6 for its “Warp” function which increases the repeats through to oscillation (in prog stuff it’s great).

Anyway, I plan on selling my Ground Control Pro and G Major 2, I’d like to keep the rack pedals but if there’s no need then..I wouldn’t mind recouping some of the money spent.
I love talking gear (obviously) so I’m all about a conversation about every piece mentioned, I guess I need to see what my ears tell me. If I can recreate the dynamics of the OCD, then it gets tossed in the “sell” pile.
The Warp function on my DD-6 though, can I set a delay modifier to a switch that increases the longer I hold it down?
I suspect my own knowledge of the unit is my key to success, but there’s ALOT in the manual that I’m sure isn’t really needed in what I’m doing.

Any info/advice is great, thanks

I’m currently running a Laney 2 channel head in a rack loaded with
Alesis Power Conditioner
Korg Pitch Black Tuner
T.C. G Major 2
VL GCX switcher
Drawer with Mod Rex, OCD, OpAmp Big Muff
The floor board has
VL GCP
Boss DD-6
Whammy DT
CAE Wah

Long story short: yes.

Korg Pitch Black Tuner - FM3 Tuner - it tunes
T.C. G Major 2 - all FX are equal or superior to G/ major 2 quality
VL GCX switcher - Channel (previously X/Y switching) 1-4 on every block makes this unneccessary
Drawer with Mod Rex, OCD, OpAmp Big Muff - all DRIVE blocks available or closely resembled overdrives available
The floor board has
VL GCP - FC-6 + 3 buttons
Boss DD-6 - digital delay is superior in FM3
Whammy DT - pitch block with parameter control on EXP1-4 for any connected device (see here)
CAE Wah - mortal WAH type is close (see here)

I am fairly confident all of what you have is compatible, dare I say superior, to the quality mix of products you have there. The learning curve is the biggest hurdle on how to best optimize your live approach. Come at it as a farmer: like you are taking you horses, stable, tools, and time to prepare into buying a tractor/farm equipment designed to plow, pull, farm + more in designing the most cultivating, sonic experience possible.

Random analogy, but it sounded okay in my head o_O Good luck! We are here to help out if needed bruh.

The pitch tracking in the digitech is phenomenal if you stay within 2 steps up/down of the original pitch, I usually stay in that range unless I’m using an octaver. If Fractals tracking rivals that, then I can see dropping that and the wah for a ME expression.
Can I set a modifier to a switch to increase delay repeats the longer I hold it down? I’m sure it can be done with an exp pedal but if I need the wah at the same time then I’m not getting very far.

Thank you btw for the guidance.

The demos I could find of the DD-6 warp function all pretty much sound like feedback goes to 100% pretty quickly. A switch could do that. (You can make the change more gradual with damping or go beyond 100%, but I'm not sure that's actually happening on the DD-6.)

I think the switch would be worthwhile based on the weight savings alone........... :D
You saying just an add on switch or are you referring to setting a modifier on a switch?
I’m still waiting for my unit, the weather in the NE has slowed down shopping. I’m anxious to see what I can do so I know what I can sell.

You saying just an add on switch or are you referring to setting a modifier on a switch?
I’m still waiting for my unit, the weather in the NE has slowed down shopping. I’m anxious to see what I can do so I know what I can sell.
I was referring to the switch from a full rack & tube amps to a Fractal. 👍

Oh...yeah lol, my rack is pretty heavy, the pedalboard is pretty heavy as well when I lay the GCP on top and out a lid on.
It’s a nice thought of walking into rehearsal with a duffle bag and my guitar and that’s everything I need.

Back
Top Bottom