EVM12Ls - the dogs bollox

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
Finally got round to sticking my new EVM12L speakers into a couple of 1x12 Marshall 1912 closed back cabs to try them out as I wait for my 2x12 open back cab to arrive.

My Axe is at home and most of my rig is in my converted barn office here, so I've just wired them up to my JMP-1/Boss FX/Mesa 50/50 rig. Fired all up to a stage type volume and am blown away with the smoothness of the sound even with them brand new and not broken in. There's none of the Marshall speaker type brittleness in the mids and highs and the bass already sounds 'there' and focused even though more playing will extend it a bit.

I then whacked everything up in volume to more than I'd really ever use on stage (Poweramp vols to 60% Preamp vol to 70%) and still the evenness was there with no undue harshness ...... normally with the Marshall speakers at that volume level the sound would have made your teeth go funny and cause involuntary eye tics.

Looking forward to sticking the Ultra through them - but even for conventional rigs or cabs I'd highly recommend them worth listening to.

Funny... When I first got my EVMs I preferred them 'pure'.
Now, maybe because they're broken in, I prefer them with cab sims.

They need a bit of volume to come alive.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping now that the Axe sounds as good through them ..... the JMP-1 just lost all it's button lights and channel/data LED display .... bah!

I'm really hoping now that the Axe sounds as good through them ..... the JMP-1 just lost all it's button lights and channel/data LED display .... bah!

The Axe sounds better than great with them. I think went thru 11 different guitar speakers
before settling on the EVM's. They sound the same at all volumes. Nice, smooth, and musical.
As they break in, you will hear the highs sweeten a bit, and the low end will extend noticeably
from what you hear now.

At first I thought they sounded a bit too in your face, sharp, articulate, but I was also used to hearing my Eminence Deltalite and Delta Pros, so I needed to readjust a bit. They definitely are fantastic guitar speakers - they cover all of the frequencies without the high end fizziness of cheapo speakers. Normally with a well designed woofer you sacrifice some high end, as is the case with the Deltas, but no such compromise is needed with the EVMs.

What kind of cabinet would go well with the EVM12L? Open-back? Sealed? Ported? Other than V30s and greenbacks, I've never used the EVMs before. I'm thinking of going this option on top of going FRFR at the moment.

I found what seems like a smokin deal on a pair of EVM-12L "Black", but I'm not finding a lot of user feedback on these.

Specs:
  • 300W power handling
  • Redesigned magnet sructure
  • 100dB Sensitivity
  • 8 ohms
  • 80-7000Hz frequency response
  • Massive low end
and some connection with Zach Wilde . . . . .

Any thoughts on their suitability?

What kind of cabinet would go well with the EVM12L? Open-back? Sealed? Ported?
Definitely ported. I use a pair of the original EVM-12L's in a pair of 10 yr old Mesa/Boogie Thiele cabs and they simply are the best. I wouldn't use just any ported cabs though, these were designed just for the EVM-12L's.

I found what seems like a smokin deal on a pair of EVM-12L "Black", but I'm not finding a lot of user feedback on these. Any thoughts on their suitability?
Everything I've read about the Black Label speakers leads me to believe they are the same speaker with a higher power handling capability.

I am running a pair of Thiele EVM-12L's too. The Huge tones are simply amazing!
I agree...Not just any ported cab..Use the Thieles!

Back
Top Bottom