EVM12l and the GT800 FR

EVMs are quite heavy. Plus they're loud. So for many purposes a 1x12 will do.

The Matrix/EVM12L is a hybrid of FRFR/guitar cab. You are able to use the cab sims and have the pressure/balls of a guitar cabinet.

So then comparing a 1x12 loaded EVM gainst a 12" FRFR, does the 1x12 feel bigger? I'd like to achieve not only the feel of a guitar cab, but also louder than what my 12" K12 has to offer.

I'm turning up my GT800FX into EVM12L (thiele style cab) to full-band volume ranges for the first time, and experiencing clipping. No clipping on the in or outs of the Axe, or the face of the Matrix. The EVM seems to be being pushed too far (at 200 watts, being pushed by 250). I have the volume of the Matrix only at about half, so I'm thinking something is amiss. Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

Pushing the Matrix and 2 EVM12 regurally inba stereo setup. I mean axe full throtle and matrix 3 o'clock and this is loud! No problems what so ever. So check your speaker connections and cables. Are the EVM12L new or OK?

I bought the EV used, but I didn't notice any clipping coming from it until yesterday. Now, even at lower levels it is distorting quite a bit. Could I have blown it? That seems unlikely. However, after I couldn't figure out how to fix the problem at band practice yesterday, I plugged into a B-52 guitar cab and it sounded way better. So the problem is definitely the speaker.

Hallo Alexander, hier Marcel uit de achterhoek.

Ik heb zelf nog geen Axe FX maar zit er aan te denken om 1 aan te schaffen.
Klinkt deze voor een live band goed?

Guys, speaking Dutch here for a moment.

Hallo Alexander, hier Marcel uit de achterhoek.

Ik heb zelf nog geen Axe FX maar zit er aan te denken om 1 aan te schaffen.
Klinkt deze voor een live band goed?

Ligt eraan. Live door een PA, of live waarbij je gitaarversterker rechtstreeks de zaal inbrult?

I have just recived my TT-CAB.....

It sounds incredible without cab sims!!!!! Just the Matrix + AFX Ultra Amp sim and it's amazing!!! I still gotta test it with cab sims and effects. I cant imagine what a 4x12 evml12 like this can be!!!!

By the way, i ordered with wireset just to have the EVM12l mounted, and it came with two inputs. Is this normal???? They both work OK, but i dont know if I can plug in the two matrix chanels at the same time. It would be like summing an stereo source into one mono input ( I`m green, inexperienced, novice....)

This are the specs.

TTC 112 REX M5
EVM 12L Classic - 8 Ohm

Piping: no Piping
Grillcloth:Tube-Town Blue Matrix
Tolex:Mesa-Boogie Style Black / Schwar
Push in Castor: No
Wire Set:with Wire Set for Loudspeakers -
TT Logo: with TT Cabs Logo
Hardware:plastic stackable corners

Attachments

• 2011-11-27 12.47.08.jpg
    2011-11-27 12.47.08.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2011-11-27 12.47.30.jpg
    2011-11-27 12.47.30.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
To me it seems a "link out" for connecting other cabinets in parallel.
An inner photo will erase any doubt ;-)

P.S: nice cab. Tube Town is freaking awesome!

Hi Baron. I ordered the same, but still waiting. Delighted to hear your response!

2 x evm12l-cl-8 / EVM 12L Classic - 8 Ohm 398,00
EUR

2 x ttc-112rex-m5 / TTC 112 REX M5 528,02 EUR

Tolex:Marshall-Style Levant Black / Sc
Grillcloth:Marshall Black
Piping:Medium Silver, 3,2 x 7,15 mm
Hardware: Standard black
TT Logo: with TT Cabs Logo
Wire Set:with Wire Set with parallel outp
Push in Castor: No

I think you've got what I ordered, so it's an In-Out allowing you to connect to another speaker if you need to - either the second TT Cab if bridging the Matrix, or to something beefier if that seems like a good idea. I ordered this to give me more flexibility - say for example if I had something go down and I had to chain the two cabs or chain into something else.

But I'll be interested to learn if there are advantages to plugging both channels of the Matrix into it - and the implications.

Baron,

Congrats! TT-cabs is a awesome cabinet builder. Dirk is also very helpful.

Enjoy and please do a firmly cab sims on test.

Greetings

Well, Udo from Tube-Town has told me:

"the inputs are wired parallel, one for the input and the other for
connect another cab."

I suppouse the other cab must be also 8 Ohm and being connected parallel i would end up with a 2x12 at 4 Ohm!!! Am i Right???
How would it affect to the sound?

- louder (800 watts) with the Matrix in bridged mono mode. But it does require custom wiring to do this, with the input from channel A fed out of phase to channel B, which as there's no earthing - both sides carrying signal, cables mustn't touch the ground.... so I'm not going to risk.

- louder (800 watts) with the Matrix in bridged mono mode. But it does require custom wiring to do this, with the input from channel A fed out of phase to channel B, which as there's no earthing - both sides carrying signal, cables mustn't touch the ground.... so I'm not going to risk.

Hi there, if you wish to use bridge mode, connect an input to channel A, turn the switch on the back of the GT800 to bridge. That's the input side taken care of. The amp will automatically take channel A input, flip its phase 180 degree and apply that signal to the input of channel B. There is no custom wiring involved for the input signal.
The output however requires the use of a 'Y' lead plugged into output A and output B. On Friday night of this week I will put a video up on the media page of the site showing how this works.

Speaker cables don't have earthing. Most will use 2 cores ( PA guys use 4 or 8 core to make setup and tear down quicker ) that connect to the +ve and -ve terminals of the connector on your chosen cabinet. It is fine for a normal speaker cable to lay on the ground ( preferably not beer soaked because it makes your cables and hands sticky ). It is also fine for a speaker cable carrying a bridged signal to lay on the ground, its just carrying a higher voltage.
Cheers
Matt

(Edited to aid communication)

The Matrix manual says:

“Ensure Bridge Mode (if used) is wired correctly (see chapters 4.2 and 5.2) and is loaded with no less than 8 Ohms.”

So the Baron can only use one channel in the Matrix if he links his two cabs together - producing 400 watts at 4 ohms. He can't bridge to produce 800 watts at 8 ohms unless he can find some way of making his TTLs link together to create an 8 ohm resistance.

Last edited:
Hi there, if you wish to use bridge mode, connect an input to channel A, turn the switch on the back of the GT800 to bridge. That's the input side taken care of. The amp will automatically take channel A input, flip its phase 180 degree and apply that signal to the input of channel B. There is no custom wiring involved for the input signal.
The output however requires the use of a 'Y' lead plugged into output A and output B. On Friday night of this week I will put a video up on the media page of the site showing how this works.

Speaker cables don't have earthing. Most will use 2 cores ( PA guys use 4 or 8 core to make setup and tear down quicker ) that connect to the +ve and -ve terminals of the connector on your chosen cabinet. It is fine for a normal speaker cable to lay on the ground ( preferably not beer soaked because it makes your cables and hands sticky ). It is also fine for a speaker cable carrying a bridged signal to lay on the ground, its just carrying a higher voltage.
Cheers
Matt

This video will be very helpfull for people like me, who have almost no knowledge in the sound realm. Most of the times manuals are not as usefull as they should. And if i can make a suggestion, can you please put subtitles in the video?. For non native english is a great tool for translating

Thanks in advance

This video will be very helpfull for people like me, who have almost no knowledge in the sound realm. Most of the times manuals are not as usefull as they should. And if i can make a suggestion, can you please put subtitles in the video?. For non native english is a great tool for translating

Thanks in advance

If subtitles will be of use to you, then I will work out how to add subtitles :)
Best regards
Matt

Back
Top Bottom