EVM12l and the GT800 FR

I'm using 2 Marshall, 1 x 12" cabs, bog standard speakers whatever they are in there. I use an Ultra and the Matrix amp. What sonic differences, in terms of clarity, bottom end etc, could I expect by changing the speakers? Would the difference be significant or negligible?.

Personaly I have no experience with your Marshall setup. Maybe others can chime in here.

Prefer to keep the Marshall cabs (unless there's an alternative), for portability's sake. A/B'd the 1912's with Mesa 1 x 12" Thiele cabs a while ago and the Marshall's p****d all over them. Can anyone help? Cheers.

If I where you I would keep my 112 solution. Also from a weight perspective cause the EVM's are not the lightest. If your in Europe you can order tgem from Thomann, test them, and if you do not like send them back within 30 days. Maybe in the US this is also possible.

Or maybe there is another user in your country to pair up with. That is what Yek and me did. And after this first hand experience I was completely convinced these were the speakers to get.

Regards

800GT owners,
Right now I am running the 800, stereo into two 8 ohm EVM12l's, in a Mesa VERT Cabinet.
I am thinking about going back to mono, for a couple of reasons, phase issues, FOH, etc

Question, If I hook up the 2, 8 ohm EVM12l's in parallel, I have a 4 ohm load.

I just need to select Mono, and good to go correct ?
thanks,

800GT owners,
Right now I am running the 800, stereo into two 8 ohm EVM12l's, in a Mesa VERT Cabinet.
I am thinking about going back to mono, for a couple of reasons, phase issues, FOH, etc

Question, If I hook up the 2, 8 ohm EVM12l's in parallel, I have a 4 ohm load.

I just need to select Mono, and good to go correct ?
thanks,

Why not run the Axe in mono (sum L+R) and utilise the Parallel mode on the Matrix. Basically send the mono signal to each cab. No rewiring needed. Other than that, bridged mode but only at 8ohms so some rewiring on the cabs needed or an external box (like some PA guys use) to alter the wiring/ohmage without messing with the cabs.

EDIT: Scratch that last part cos unless the external box will alter ohmage, you'll be running in series so the cabs will be 16ohms and still not bridgeable. Parallel mode is the best bet. Still got control over the volume of each cab as well.

Last edited:
Yeh. Two options really, both require the Axe in mono mode (either Copy L/R or Sum L/R).

1: Wire the speakers in Parallell - giving you a 4 Ohms load, and run a single side of the GT. That gives you 400W into the cab, which will be split 200W per speaker.

2: The easy way - as above. Select parallell on the Marix and feed it the mono signal - then feed each speaker with its own O/P/ That leaves your speakers as 8 Ohms, BUT you'll give each speaker 250W.

id go route 2, firstly more headroom and 2nd no "mods" needed to the cab. However both will actually sound the same.

Some thoughts I had,

Well after looking back to a long journey insisting on having a FRFR solution and testing several solutions with great freq and amplitude responses in different price catogories their was always something missing. And as always things start to become more clearer after you experience a difference first hand.

Indeed the EVM12L makes your sound more direct, more real and more "solid". it is not for nothing that this speaker is widely respected in the guitar world. But why did I not get it from the FRFR solutions I tested?

Lets call this more directness, realness and solidness the Mechanical Behaviour of the EVM12L. I therefore come to the conclusion that exactly this MB is greatly needed for a realistic sound and behaviour reproduction of the Axe-Fx patches. So besides the Full Range Flatt Response goals there is another very important aspect needed for the total sound and feel reproduction of your patches.

But to hear this MB of the EVM you need an amp that activates or stimulate these aspects. We know that the VHT and other tube amps are able doing this. And the only SS-amp that comes very close, reading a lot of A/B test and testing it myself, is the GT800FX.

That is why, I think, this GT800FX/EVM12L combo sounds so much more direct, real and solid.

Again, just my thoughts.

Regards

Dada - I always enjoy your insightful posts. I was set on going FRFR as well but I have yet to be able to get a tone that I am happy with. I am sticking with my Orange 4x12 for live shows and Mesa Recto Cab 2x12 for practice for now but am seriously considering going the EVM12L route once I have the extra money to spare. Once again, thanks for being such a contributor to this forum and constantly pointing me in the right direction.

For those who have tried EVM12Ls in open back and closed back - is there a strong preference? Are there any differences other than the usual?

My styles are generally rock/blues/pop.

Hi guys for those of you interested by the EVM12L in a TT cab I have receved the following info today from Dirk at TTCabs.

"Hallo Patrick,

we will put a new version of the 112REX online very soon which is modified for the use with an EVM12L / Modeling Amp.

Best regards, Dirk"

Let wait now for the detailled specs...

Last edited:
Hi guys for those of you interested by the EVM12L in a TT cab I have receved the following info today from Dirk at TTCabs.

"Hallo Patrick,

we will put a new version of the 112REX online very soon which is modified for the use with an EVM12L / Modeling Amp.

Best regards, Dirk"

Let wait now for th detailled specs...

It will likely be from designing my cab, i ordered the 112REX last week (the one on the webpage is not a good mix with a modeler) with the EVM, bass ports ext, it took a while to conclude, but Dirk was patient (constantly emailing him) and made mods to the cab, frequency ext, and is making a start on the cab this week, hopefully have it in about 5 weeks.

If anyone is in Donegal and wants to try it when it arrives, be my guest..bring your Ax!! :)

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't a Thiele cab designed for the EVM12L? What would be better about a TT cab?

"Hallo Patrick,

Best regards, Dirk"

Let wait now for the detailled specs...

Back
Top Bottom