EVM12l and the GT800 FR

Well maybe we should do a BBQ for only Axe-Fx/GT800FX/TT-Cabs owners. All the Europeans would be welcome and we ask G66/Matrix/TT-cabs to subsidise this event.
And of course Sussi, Andy and Matt, and Dirk would be the honoured guests of the event. And we can ask Jenz to play some relax Jazzy tunes.

How about that!

I would be honoured to play you guys some real elevator music :lol

Jens

Reactions: yek
Well being in the UK and therefore Europe - with new TT cabs coming from Dirk and the Matrix hopefully later this week, I'd fly out to Europe for a long weekend, minus cab as the excess baggage limits and fines would kill me :-x

But man no cafe jazz for me - sorry, I prefer a bit of Dime Bag :twisted

Hurraaay I am getting my balls back! :p

Welcome to puberty!! ;)

Just sent an email to Dirk about a cab and maybe a matching 3U rack to finish off the look! :)

How are you guys connecting up the GT to the cab? I was thinking of going speakon - 1/4

Any other preferences?

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

as I posted earlier today, i'm very happy with the results. I hope you'll feel the same after completing your rig.

Dada and I tested the violin last week and it still sounded great, maybe a tad more like a cello. :)

Hi Mark,

as I posted earlier today, i'm very happy with the results. I hope you'll feel the same after completing your rig.

Dada and I tested the violin last week and it still sounded great, maybe a tad more like a cello. :)

Thanks..i am hoping after this and the II that will be me a long long time!

I would like to try the other "violins" preset that sounds like a full orchestra (love that preset) through the EV's, it sounded great through my Vox, i am sure through the Matrix & EV's it will sound even better!! :)

Welcome to puberty!! ;)

Just sent an email to Dirk about a cab and maybe a matching 3U rack to finish off the look! :)

That would be a very awesome looking rack!

How are you guys connecting up the GT to the cab? I was thinking of going speakon - 1/4

Because of the huge power this amp produce I chose the speakon solution and thick speaker cable (also read the GT800FX manual). Because of this thicknes a normal jack connection is not easy possible. More over the inside cable connection of a speakon is way more sturdy then a jack. So less changes on problems

Any other preferences?

Besides giving the (8ohm) drivers a good breaking in, I think you covered the lot.

Regards

to follow up with a 1/4 or speakon choice, I wonder what could happen to the amp when disconnecting the cab while playing ? During a small moment both polarities are shorted. Is there any risk for output MOSFETs?
With a speakon there is a locking ring.

Joe56,

I do not think there is any danger when a shortcut occurs. In the manual it is clearly stated that the amp has a protective circuit for this event. Nevertheless is the speakon connection always saver by design and especually when you play on very high volumes.

Regards

After a weekend pumping the EVM12L's with some bass and an overly dose of high frequencies via my ART EQ the drivers were loose and warm sounding. During this proces i slowly had to dim the amount of bass as time went by and slowly the speakers sounded more and more like hifi speakers (with the ART HF crancked). I do not now if it was by this HF crancking but when I tried some patches today (without the ART EQ) to find out the basic grid for the new patches I HAVE to use the cab sims on to avoid high freq fizzing of the amp blocks. This relates to all the patches I tried including top boost, gain and high gain patches.
Before I could not get close the Mark Day's sound with my old setup but now I am totally stunned how good his old 9.03 patch sounded after some fiddeling. Back then it was Mark who got me into this world and at last I did it. Huraaay!

So, with some EQ.after the cab sim and before the OUT 2 it is possible to come very close to the OUT 1 sound. So FOH connection is still possible when using EVM12L's. Cab sims ON for me.

Tomorrow the patch building starts. Will give you guys an updare later this week.

Using the GT with a single 8 OHM EVM12L cabinet, (maybe another for stereo in the future) i would have the GT set to "Bridged"? i just want to make sure i wont be picking molten speaker shrapnel out of my face!! :D

Using the GT with a single 8 OHM EVM12L cabinet, (maybe another for stereo in the future) i would have the GT set to "Bridged"? i just want to make sure i wont be picking molten speaker shrapnel out of my face!! :D

Mark,

LOL

That would be an overkill for the 200 Watts EVM12L. Just connect the speaker to one channel and you be fine.

Greetings

Would love to help you out. But i do not have the gear to do that. As stated earlier by Yek it will be very difficult to record because it is more a feel. Call it balls, character, juice, pressure or in the room, this is what returns in your sound. And that is very difficult to record or maybe impossible. You have to experience it with your own ears and trousers.

Sorry I can not help you out here

Hi:
My Matrix should arrive tomorrow. Can anyone post some patches they are using? A headstart on dialing-in would be great!
Thanks in advance.

Hi:
My Matrix should arrive tomorrow. Can anyone post some patches they are using? A headstart on dialing-in would be great!
Thanks in advance.

You're using your Verve?

My approach (with EVMs) has been starting from scratch. First I reset the amp sim to its defaults. I leave Bright at its default. I set Presence to where it should be (compared to the real amp). Then I set Master to its "advised" position or sounds good. And turn up Drive to where I like it. With some "vintage" amps (Plexi, Wrecker) I turn up Low Cut to about 80. And I lower bass when that's needed. That's about it.

Hi Yek:
I'm using the Verve until the Matris is here and working the way I like with the cab choices I have, which are: a Kriz Kraft 1x12 with an EVM12L, and a Port City Wave OS 2x12 with Celestion G12K-100s. Based on this thread, I'm considering replacing the G12Ks with EVM12Ls, but want to hear the difference between the 2 cabs first...

I'm using 2 Marshall, 1 x 12" cabs, bog standard speakers whatever they are in there. I use an Ultra and the Matrix amp. What sonic differences, in terms of clarity, bottom end etc, could I expect by changing the speakers? Would the difference be significant or negligible? Prefer to keep the Marshall cabs (unless there's an alternative), for portability's sake. A/B'd the 1912's with Mesa 1 x 12" Thiele cabs a while ago and the Marshall's p****d all over them. Can anyone help? Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom