EVM12L 2X12 Bassman Cab With Piezo

DJD100

Power User
Hi, I've been evaluating an Ultra the last few days and finally did a gig volume rehearsal with it, and I noticed the following with this closed back 2X12 vintage EVM12L loaded vintage Bassman cab with a Piezo powered by a big Carvin class AB SS amp.

a) With the Cab Sims off I couldn't get the bottom end anywhere near the level generated by my custom tube 50W that uses Randall/Egnater MTS Modules through the same cab (module bass knobs at 4 or 5 max)? I even had +9db at 250Hz with a PEQ following the Boutique 2 amp with it's Depth, Thump, and Warmth params turned up, and the amp's Low Cut set as far down as 80Hz?

b) With the Cab Sims on and the Bassman Cab's Piezo switched on it sounded killer without the PEQ or additional amp tweaks?

Any ideas?

Are those of you running it sans Cab Sims with regular guitar cabs getting a reasonable amount of low end (typically classic rock kinds of sounds)?

Thanks...

I use a Marshall 4x12 cab and always have the cab sims on,i find no bottom end at all with them off!

i got my standard second hand and still wonder if something was set up wrong somewhere by the previous owner because with the sims off it really is unusable!! :shock:

those speakers are 200watts a piece.400 watt cab?yikes! ;) how much power do you run to them?freq. resp. is listed as 80hz-7khz.i doubt your going to get much out of them below 80hz.(maybe not even that depending on the cab design.)but great heavy duty speakers.if it sounds good with cab sims on,well then,leave them on. :D

This is what I'm finding as well, and I just got this Ultra brand new?

One thing that seems to help is the "AIR" param, which tends to make the high end more natural when using he Cab Sims with a non-FRFR guitar cab.

Boz said:
I use a Marshall 4x12 cab and always have the cab sims on,i find no bottom end at all with them off!

i got my standard second hand and still wonder if something was set up wrong somewhere by the previous owner because with the sims off it really is unusable!! :shock:

These are nice vintage Alnico EVM's from the 60's, great sounding but WAY too heavy LOL!

I've had the same problem with various non-FRFR guitar cabs and amps, though I was powering with a 250W Carvin PA head during the test referenced above.

I'm concerned with "standard tuned guitar" low end, so the low E is around 80Hz, don't need anything lower than that, though the problem seems to be up into the lower mids, like way lacking from 250Hz down without the Cab Sims on?

RDeraz said:
those speakers are 200watts a piece.400 watt cab?yikes! ;) how much power do you run to them?freq. resp. is listed as 80hz-7khz.i doubt your going to get much out of them below 80hz.(maybe not even that depending on the cab design.)but great heavy duty speakers.if it sounds good with cab sims on,well then,leave them on. :D

Back
Top Bottom