EVM-12Love

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I still prefer a traditional cab on stage as a backline. At my recent gigs I brought my trusted 1x12 again. It’s a traditional Port City cab, ported, with a single 200W EVM-12L speaker, powered by Matrix. I had forgotten how much I like the clear, uncomplicated sound of this speaker. It’s great for spanky Fender cleans and when giving it room to breath, the higher gain tones shake the ground. It’s so transparent that it allows the specific characteristics of each amp model to shine through. While it’s not FR, its extended frequency range makes even acoustics sound pretty fine.

For the direct equivalent, just mix the 4x12 Rumble 57 and 4x12 Rumble RNR factory IRs.

I find the same thing...I use 2 Ev12s in 2 open back boxes (which I can close)...powered by a Matrix 1000.

It's got enough tops not to require a FRFR, and I've found that I can use all of the irs with these speakers.
I've also found that there is enough tops for Acoustic guitar and Mandolin as well.

Between the Matrix and the EVs I have the headroom for crystal clean complex chords with all of the fantastic FX that the axe offers.

I don't get people who play 20w amps and tell me how loud they are! They must never truly play clean at any gig that involves a full band.
I don't need to play loud but when I want clean it needs to be absolutley clean.

The great beauty of the Axe and Matrix 1000 is that I just take my 2x 400w EV15s and I have a Bass amp.

Classic speaker, I used them with Mesas in Thiele cabs for years. I really liked the EV 12S version that was out for a short time, too. I still have three of those on the shelf waiting for their next time in a cab. The honestly you get from those older EVs is unmatched, IMO.

Definitely a great tried and true speaker. I use the Eminence Legend, which is the Neo Speaker Equivalent for 1x12 cabs with a matrix so I don't blow up the speaker. Great, neutral sound. Works in my port city and mesa 1x12 cabs as well.

The Legend, I’ll have to look it up. I read that WGS has its own 12L clone too

I have loved the 200W EVM-12L speaker ever since I got hooked on Boogies years ago. Was always wondering how 1 would sound in a Theile with a Modeller.

Reactions: ESW
I've used a pair of original EVM-12L OEM's in Mesa Thiele cabs for years with my Mesa amps since the 90's and have continued to use them with my Fractal gear. IMO they just can't be beat. I use them stacked as my center "dry" cabs along with a pair of Xitone passive wedges "wet" in a W/D/W setup that is simply the best I've ever heard.

The Legend, I’ll have to look it up. I read that WGS has its own 12L clone too
A/Bing between both, I will say the original EVM12L is a little smoother. The Eminence has a little spiky thing in the top end around 2-4k almost in the way a V30 vs Greenback does. Easy to dial out, but definitely not a pure clone.

But pre-covid I was playing 4-5 nights a week so schlepping the EVM was getting a little old weightwise so the Neo speaker was a welcome adjustment in the weight dept. YMMV

EVM12Ls can be great, but there have been a bunch of different versions and they all sound quite different. I currently have 4 different types and an Eminence copy. The original Mesa OEM sounds the best for most purposes IMO, although the classic excels for cleans.

First pic is Mesa OEM, second is classic reissue, both far field on axis 2m. Edit: third is Eminence EM12, fourth is Black Label.

Attachments

• EVM12L TL806.jpg
    EVM12L TL806.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 30
  • EVM12L Classic Reissue.jpg
    EVM12L Classic Reissue.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Eminence EM12.jpg
    Eminence EM12.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 28
  • EVM12L Black Label.jpg
    EVM12L Black Label.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I LOVE my EVM12Ls so much! I enjoyed them a lot with my non-modelling amps and I really love em with my Axe Fx-III as I feel they let the different amp models really come through. Currently I have 2 older 80s variations in the Avatar (2nd pic) and I had a recent acquisition of the Mesa Boogie with a Series II model on the bottom (3rd pic). Will probably be pairing it with a Celestion Redback on the top as I'm not a big fan of the Eminence Canabix Rex Patriot.
249275098_1502048810159001_1836698070724168352_n.jpg
20200704_195457.jpg
EVM12L proof.JPG

I've used a pair of original EVM-12L OEM's in Mesa Thiele cabs for years with my Mesa amps since the 90's and have continued to use them with my Fractal gear. IMO they just can't be beat. I use them stacked as my center "dry" cabs along with a pair of Xitone passive wedges "wet" in a W/D/W setup that is simply the best I've ever heard.

I can imagine that being the "best of both worlds".

I absolutely love EVM12Ls. While I do not have a lot of experience with a variety of speakers, out of the ones I do, the EVs are the ones that give me what I need to craft the tones and response I'm looking for. Also, due to the more gentle EQ curve that they have, they do not "interfere" with amps in ways that I find I have to accommodate for. They play nice with every amp I have used them with and that is such a relief to have something reliable, both from a tone and build perspective.

I run two Mesa Thiele 1x12s and crafting tones is a joy. Lately, I have been experimenting with a wet/dry setup and because the cabs are identical, I find it is much easier to set the wet levels than my previous rig. With that, it opens up a new set of tones to me with ease, much in part due to the Axe FX III's routing flexibility. Note: I do not use IRs with my Thieles. Although I do use EV IRs.

Also thank you Yek for the IR combination suggestion. I have used the Rumble cabs, but I hadn't found the combination that hit my comfort zone like yours. It is much appreciated!

Last edited:
I've got a tl806 cab that's currently loaded with the newest version of the 12L. One of the rigs I plan on trying with my incoming FM3 is to run it into a Fryette ps100 into that cab. Small, portable (though that 80s cab is kinda heavy), and plenty of power. Sounds wise, well, I'll let you know LOL!

Back
Top Bottom