EVM 12L Impulse Response

Thanks again, now I've got plenty to play with.

I've always enjoyed the EVM-12L, right from the beginning of my guitar adventure. It was the first speaker type I acquired after happily ditching those awful soggy sounding Pyle MH1229 speakers that were what was in the first "Real" amp I bought. I built some 1x12s and put EVM-12Ls in them, and 35 years later they're still in heavy use. (For a home player.)

If I had a decent mic I'd do my own IR captures on them because they're really good cabinets, with a fuller bass response than the well regarded Mesa EV equipped Thiele cabinets.

Thanks again, now I've got plenty to play with.

I've always enjoyed the EVM-12L, right from the beginning of my guitar adventure. It was the first speaker type I acquired after happily ditching those awful soggy sounding Pyle MH1229 speakers that were what was in the first "Real" amp I bought. I built some 1x12s and put EVM-12Ls in them, and 35 years later they're still in heavy use. (For a home player.)

If I had a decent mic I'd do my own IR captures on them because they're really good cabinets, with a fuller bass response than the well regarded Mesa EV equipped Thiele cabinets.
If you really like the sound of your cabinets specifically, I recommend getting some mics and shooting your own IR's. Those speakers are well broken in by now and probably sound great recorded.

"fuller bass than thiele cabs" sounds kinda weird though. The ports in thiele increase the low end and doesn't really help with recording in the same way it helps with making your room tone bigger. So 1x12 that sound bigger than the thiele? Interesting.

Actually I ran the Thiele-Small parameters on the boxes I make and they're within 1 percent of ideal for the EVM-12L published specs. That's closer than the Mesa box. I'd burn my own IR on them except the only decent mic I have is an omnidirectional condenser mic. Not the best choice.
I've owned the Mesa Thiele boxes and in a side by side comparison, my boxes have better bass extension. People who've played both, prefer mine every time.

Actually I ran the Thiele-Small parameters on the boxes I make and they're within 1 percent of ideal for the EVM-12L published specs. That's closer than the Mesa box. I'd burn my own IR on them except the only decent mic I have is an omnidirectional condenser mic. Not the best choice.
I've owned the Mesa Thiele boxes and in a side by side comparison, my boxes have better bass extension. People who've played both, prefer mine every time.
I was more thinking about the recorded tone than the room tone. From what I've read online ported cabs sound great in the room, however when you stick a dynamic mic in front of one, you aren't really hearing/getting that extended bass you get from the ports.

Avatar made the EV spec'd cab for a minute, TL-806, whatever it's called. Those are some biggg boxes.

What condenser do you have? Get a SM57 or a lewitt 440dm to pair with it and that should be good, once you find the right mic positions.

I was more thinking about the recorded tone than the room tone. From what I've read online ported cabs sound great in the room, however when you stick a dynamic mic in front of one, you aren't really hearing/getting that extended bass you get from the ports.
Ports and/or separate tweeters make it challenging to get a good representation.

It seems to me that the microphone would have to be moved away from the cabinet until the waves had a chance to blend, maybe even doing a Fullres IR of the room, otherwise the mic positions and output would need to be measured and balanced before shooting separate IRs for the main speaker and the port or tweeter, then adjusted and blended afterward in something like Cab-Lab. Leaving them as separate IRs would only double the CPU load and invite a misbalanced frequency response.

just to add my 2cents here as I own a marshal 1960 with 4x EVM12L Classic and another 1960 cab with 4xEVM12L Black Label, I find that the "Legacy 144" sounds closest to my cabs, the Dubmle is not bad however I did get the EV IRs from LM Sound Lab and I find that ML-EVML-7B-A really comes closest to my marshal rigs on the FM9.

Back
Top Bottom