EVH Wolfgang Special thoughts?

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I gotta do something about this GAS!

I almost bought a Mesa Mark V:25 off a friend but then realized...I have a freaking AXE FX! Lol.

So I'm thinking it's new guitar time. I have a couple Les Pauls and a few Strats. I have an Ibanez S570 and an RG7421.

I'm thinking I'd like a rock/metal guitar with a maple neck so I'm looking at the EVH Wolfgang Special (not the stealth with ebony neck). Any thoughts on that guitar? I wouldn't mind picking up a Suhr Modern of course, but...those prices....ouch.

Buy it!

Seriously. I've played on and it was interesting, but didn't feel like it would be something I would pick up often enough to justify the cost (I played the upper end one...)

Besides, I have an eye on getting a hollowbody Gibby. It's the only 'hole' in my collection.

Except maybe a Rick (jangle!)

Oh, I forgot a Jazzmaster.

FWIW, I think there are other guitars out there that would be a better fit for rock/metal. And cooler looking. Jackson V, BC Rich, and even Schecter has some at a decent price point.

IMO, YMMV, yada.

R

I have a mental block that won't allow me to buy a BC Rich. Pretty much the same for Schecter. I have nothing against Jackson per se, but whenever I even think of it I end up thinking, "may as well just get an Ibanez." :S

My original thought was to get a maple necked Ibanez but those seem kinda slim pickings these days. Possibly the Andy Timmons model (met him on this tour...awesome guy).

I just got this it is absolutely stunning shredding and amazing

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=153&color=CL01
u_eg_page15.php

My son has 2 evh wolfgang special guitars he like really well. one older one and 1 new one(like 3 weeks old), but he is a Vanhalen nut! Has Kramers and Stienburgs and evg striped guitars also.

dunno if any of those are custom guitars, but if you've never tried Carvin, they're quite addicting to build. I had one built to mimic the Andy Timmons model - just swapped out the pickups with the AT ones. While you can order over the web, you need to check the forums and order over the phone if you want to get some of the undocumented (not listed on the website) options.

dunno if any of those are custom guitars, but if you've never tried Carvin, they're quite addicting to build. I had one built to mimic the Andy Timmons model - just swapped out the pickups with the AT ones. While you can order over the web, you need to check the forums and order over the phone if you want to get some of the undocumented (not listed on the website) options.

I don't know much about Carvin. I'll look into them. Kiesel now right?

I don't know much about Carvin. I'll look into them. Kiesel now right?

I've got three builds from Carvin / Kiesel. Outstanding build quality & playability. They have an online builder you can use to specify options, colors, etc., and put a deposit down if you want. They also have guitars in stock on their website if you don't want to wait for a build - usually 6 weeks or so.

I owned a Wolfgang Special for almost a year. I soon learned it was a one trick pony.....but it did that trick extremely well. My problem was that I soon yearned for a more versatile guitar and modded it to split the humbuckers. Once I realized that I was spending 80% of my time in single coil mode the Wolfie's fate was sealed. Sold it and replaced it with a Clapton Strat :D

I have an EVH Wolfgang Special, the Japanese made one. It's an awesome rock guitar in a lot of ways. The Birdseye maple neck with stainless steel frets is one of the best playing necks I've ever played. The pickups are very powerful and "meaty" sounding, and it feels good around your neck. Totally would recommend the Japanese made ones.

If you ever played a 70's or early 80's American BC Rich, you'd wonder how you lived without one:cool:.
If you're into the EVH thing, I'd recommend playing a Peavey Wolfgang (American carved top)...to my hands they feel like a dramatically better made instrument.

Yeah I remember they were all the rage when I was a teenager in the mid 80's. One of my earliest guitar memories is attending a BC Rich clinic with Tony MacAlpine.

OT Story:
Tony is playing some nice melodic stuff. He stops to take some questions and a guy asks what Tony thinks of Yngvie, who was quickly rising in the guitar world. Tony says something like, "yeah he's good." The guy says, "good??" all incredulously. Tony replies that, "well anyone can play fast, the key is to play something musical." The guy snorts very dismissively like Tony doesn't know what he's talking about. Tony shrugs and nonchalantly rips off an *insanely* fast run...just blazing. When he finishes, the guy's eyes are huge and he's sayin "Whoa!" as the rest of us are doing the, "DAMMMMN...you got put in your place!" whooping and hollering.

Ahh the good old days. If only I'd stuck with guitar from way back then. :)

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up ordering the Ibanez RG652AHM @symphx mentioned. :)

2 things: one great choice, I know they are nice quality but Ive bought and sold 2 carvins; and I have 20 other electric guitars, they just dont do it for me. 2nd; this guitar is so nice, so buttery , such an amazing fit and finish it may ruin your ability or desire to pick up any of your other guitars!

2 things: one great choice, I know they are nice quality but Ive bought and sold 2 carvins; and I have 20 other electric guitars, they just dont do it for me. 2nd; this guitar is so nice, so buttery , such an amazing fit and finish it may ruin your ability or desire to pick up any of your other guitars!

It FINALLY shipped! :)

Back
Top Bottom