• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

EVH tone from the late 80s / early 90s. AxeFX II XL - FW18

Forgive the bad playing. I haven't played many of these licks in many many months (I've been busy with a indie / alternative band, which you can check out here: Room For Zero )

Here you go.

I recently rediscovered my love for Van Halen, particularly the F.U.C.K. and Balance era. I love that dripping wet tone.

Anyways, I spent about 40 minutes last night trying to dial this in. It definitely needs some EQ work. Wound up with a lot more sizzle than I thought I had originally.

Amp is the 5153 50w blue, cab is the fractal 4x12 v30.

I had to run the detune in parallel to keep the "balls" from the amp.

Edit: Added preset file, csv, and screenshot.

Preset: View attachment EVH Juicy.syx

CSV file containing all settings and values: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4CColVolc5reV8wYUtIT0YyZGc/view

Screenshot of routing and the "Pitch" block: EVH Juicy.jpg

Last edited:

GuttaLaser

Forum Addict
Don't touch it!!! (well... maybe smoothing some iceness... but in a mix maybe not!)
You can maybe increase the wetness (modulation and verb lenght/mix) just a bit!

Nope... don't touch it at all!!! :encouragement:

Some screenshot for the Axe II?!? ;)

Great Eddie-Sound! I also like the 50 W - 5153 very much. You´ve got the Delay and Reverb in front of the cab?
Yeah. I normally run direct to the board when I gig, but use a stereo cab for practice and on stage for monitoring or smaller gigs.

By using a stereo cab block panned hard left and right, I can still get more or less the same stereo image as running the effects post-cab. This comes at the cost of additional CPU resources though. Running the effects before the cab also means I can have them run through my power amp and cab for when I'm not going through a pa.

Last edited:
I know I'll feel like a dumbass later, but what is the mixer block for in row 3?
Ah. This is mostly unnecessary. I could have used a variety of blocks, but for whatever reason, I chose the mixer block.

I use it to control the amount of dry signal I feed back into the mix right before the cab. I was playing with different values, but I think in the preset, I wound up just keeping it set at 0db. Technically, it would sound the same if you removed it, but it was helpful during my tweaking.

Top Bottom