EVH tone deep dive feat. DAVE FRIEDMAN and PETE THORN

He might not have been slaving into the big SS power amps until the 1984 tour but he was probably slaving guitar amps into other guitar amps. A lot of people were doing it. Montrose, Boston, Zappa, etc.
Nope, just running several stacks the old school way. :)

He might not have been slaving into the big SS power amps until the 1984 tour but he was probably slaving guitar amps into other guitar amps. A lot of people were doing it. Montrose, Boston, Zappa, etc.
Heck, even I was slaving tube amps from the late '90s until I retired my rack. I had a modified Knight KM15 hi-fi amp with EL84s on a reactive dummy load I built. Really smoothed out my Hafler HellRazor pre and gave it a real cranked tube amp feel at any volume above a whisper....

Here's a recording of that rig:
Listen to 20040825 16b Josie Mastered by Dale VanZile on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/mKpr
The solo is a good example the dirty channel of the HellRazor into the slaved KM15.

Heck, even I was slaving tube amps from the late '90s until I retired my rack. I had a modified Knight KM15 hi-fi amp with EL84s on a reactive dummy load I built. Really smoothed out my Hafler HellRazor pre and gave it a real cranked tube amp feel at any volume above a whisper....

Here's a recording of that rig:
Listen to 20040825 16b Josie Mastered by Dale VanZile on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/mKpr
The solo is a good example the dirty channel of the HellRazor into the slaved KM15.
I had no idea Hafler built guitar gear, just knew of their power amps. Learn something new...

Dave was talking about the fat cap on V2. Was he talking about a bypass cap on the cathode resistor of the stage before the cathode follower?

Watching now...

Interestingly, I used Fender 150 XL strings forever until the last year as Fender no longer makes them and I can't find them.

I also did use the 5150 strings at one point... No idea that EVH actually used the same guage strings.

I've now switched to a .009-.042 plain steel vs the .009-040 pure nickel wrap (Fender Super 250).

... raises once more the wish for some additional popular mods, accessible via some extra switches (fat cap, mid pot etc.).

If it sounds the same it sounds the same but will leave the meat and tofu discussion to someone who can make better sense of it ...

I would love to see an amp built to the specs and settings, effects and so forth in collaboration with these guys. Kind of like how Steve Stevens did his thing.

Back
Top Bottom