EVH Recorded most of DLR eara on Les Pauls?

How true is it that Eddie Van Halen recorded most of his songs in the studio with Les Pauls during the DLR era?

I bought 2 awesome books by Zlozower today on EVH and there's a ton of photos in them of EVH playing Les Pauls.

I start like Top Gear....

Some say... That he used the LP for "fatter" rhythm parts in Studio

Some say... He used LP live late in the show when his tremolo guitars were out of tune

Some say... He played majority of the tunes in studio with LP (or that Ibanez destroyer axe)

I have no idea, lots of stories floating around the on the net

Listen to how much whammy bar is on the songs... That will give you a clue.

As far as I'm aware the guitar tracks on the 1st couple albums is a single track, not rhythm and lead tracks, so the ones with whammy are most likely not LP.

He also played an Ibanez Destroyer from what I remember reading.

EVH spice racked guitars as the mood struck him. He used something different every day because he could: the frankenstrat, explorers, LP’s, whatever.

I start like Top Gear....

Some say... That he used the LP for "fatter" rhythm parts in Studio

Some say... He used LP live late in the show when his tremolo guitars were out of tune

Some say... He played majority of the tunes in studio with LP (or that Ibanez destroyer axe)

I have no idea, lots of stories floating around the on the net
Oh
My
God

EVH IS THE STIG

The only earlier track that I'd heard he played a Gibson on was Hot for Teacher and that was so that he could turn down the front pickup volume and quickly switch to a clean sound. The rest were the Destroyer (that he destroyed), and the Franken Strat. The Steinberger was used for Summer Nights and Kramer Stereo was used on 1984. I did read he used a single coil Strat for 'Women in Love' because the the single coil wasn't has hot as the humbucker and the tap harmonics came out better. It does make some sense, but then if that's the case what about 'Dance the Night Away' or anything live where he's able to pull of those tap harmonics at will with a sh!t ton of gain? I lost interest after 5150.

I'm not the definitive source on this by any means. But I have followed his career and gear through those years and have yet to read anything that said he used LP's. That being said I have the book 'Van Halen Rising' and he's photographed playing all kinds of guitars, but as I understand it those are pics from before he went into the Studio for VH1. The book claims he didn't really pick up his tapping technique until after his Gene Simmons demo and once he 'discovered' it, he quickly incorporated it into his style. The stories of him turning his back while tapping supposedly happen within this small window of time......at least that's my recollection from the book. He's got an incredible guitar collection though. I don't see why he doesn't use them all. But Ed's a tough nut to crack. And there's no telling what's the truth surrounding his legend. He was and still is my original guitar hero.

Back
Top Bottom