EVH Frankie or PRS CE24

Which should I buy?

• Total voters
I hate to be the snob but personally, a used core CE24 would be my choice over the new production line. I've had 3 core, currently have one, and all of them play and sound great. The new production seems to be a slight step up from the S2 line but there are still compromises made in hardware compared to the core guitars. The core CE line got most of the features of the custom series, including the same hardware and electronics, in a bolt-on format. The only things they didn't get, without a custom order, are, some finishes/colors, birds, 10 tops and gold hardware.

I have never owned a PRS other thank a SE 7 String for a short period of time. I have my name on an incoming CE24 but have no idea when it will arrive. Its the newer S2 line so will see once it arrives how it feels and sounds. Faded grey /black which based on some pics looks gorgeous

I hate to be the snob but personally, a used core CE24 would be my choice over the new production line. I've had 3 core, currently have one, and all of them play and sound great. The new production seems to be a slight step up from the S2 line but there are still compromises made in hardware compared to the core guitars. The core CE line got most of the features of the custom series, including the same hardware and electronics, in a bolt-on format. The only things they didn't get, without a custom order, are, some finishes/colors, birds, 10 tops and gold hardware.

This to the nth degree.

If there were older core CE's to check out, I'd be all over it. I will only buy local when it comes to used guitars. Where I live there are not many used Core models that pop up
Understandable. I rarely purchase new and the guitar market is pretty scarce here as well. I used to get gear on the usual bidding sites, got a few of really good deals, but now it's a crap shoot whether you get what you pay for and a hassle if you don't. Now I only buy used guitars from actual music shops that offer no hassle return policies.

I was under the impression the CE since it was reintroduced had basically the Korean SE hardware and pickups, this is true on all the examples I've seen.

From my research the new CE's use the American made pickups and switches as the core line; bridge and tuners Korean made

What is the general feeling on the stock pickups? I'm sure they sound great for cleans and edge of breakup etc but high gain?? yay/nay?

I was under the impression the CE since it was reintroduced had basically the Korean SE hardware and pickups, this is true on all the examples I've seen.
With the exception of the pickups, that's my understanding as well. The CE24 has 85/15 (Made in USA) pickups, not the 85/15 "S" pickups are in a lot of the SE and some S2 models. They did keep the basic body carve of the core CE, although a little softer/subdued and lacking the knob recesses, rather than adopt the S2 bevel. They're still really good guitars, just not the same as the previous CE series.

Back
Top Bottom