EVH Frankie or PRS CE24

Which should I buy?

• Total voters
What you guys figure a 2005 PRS CE24 20th Anniversary would be worth? there's a local one I might look at. No bird inlays, solid color , not figured top or anything. Looks to be in good condition.

Love Ed, but I tend to want a bigger %age of a guitar expenditure to go toward the quality/construction of the instrument rather than the artist's paint job and carefully reconstructed cigarette burn
marks on the headstock.

PRS or both

My 355 is empty. I think a lot got wiped before I got it. I do appreciate everyone's help on where to look though!

What you guys figure a 2005 PRS CE24 20th Anniversary would be worth? there's a local one I might look at. No bird inlays, solid color , not figured top or anything. Looks to be in good condition.

$1600ish. A used 2018 will be $2k, and the anniversary doesnt change the price

Thanks @Budda that's helpful. I gotta do a little research on the pickups etc on those older CE's. Its a solid orange color which isn't my first choice but it's not bad either. I often hear the comment the original CE's are 'better' than the newer issues. I know there are korean parts on the new ones. The older ones have more a core style body with recessed knobs etc. I don't imagine the them to be night and day but its the smaller differences I guess.

If older is cheaper and it is a solid guitar I wouldn't hesitate. That said, I have been wearing hand me
down and used clothing my entire life. I like old---especially since it now describes me. :)

The age doesnt bother me for a guitar. My Musicman Axis I bought it new , back in 2002 and its still a killer guitar and holds up to modern guitars made today

Apart from checking for fretwear, I like the feel of a broken in and played guitar over a new one.

For that 'era', the stock pickups should be the HFS (Bridge) and Vintage Bass (Neck). This is the CE24 I have:
1630695645696.png

2007 Mahogany body, Wide Thin neck carve. This is the second one of this model I've had. Sold the first one and regretted it so just had to get another. It's been modified with a 3-way toggle switch and TV Jones Power'tron Plus/Power'tron pickups. Black pickup rings, knobs and tuner buttons.

The trem is one of the most stable I've played, it's set floating. The import trem doesn't feel the same nor have the ones I've played been as stable when it comes to tuning as the USA trem.

Thanks @Budda that's helpful. I gotta do a little research on the pickups etc on those older CE's. Its a solid orange color which isn't my first choice but it's not bad either. I often hear the comment the original CE's are 'better' than the newer issues. I know there are korean parts on the new ones. The older ones have more a core style body with recessed knobs etc. I don't imagine the them to be night and day but its the smaller differences I guess.

If it looks like the one @JoKeR III posted, the metallic finish was a limited run thing I think. That said, they're only more desirable to people who want them. When people say "older PRS are better" they mean pre-95 annapolis factory move. I haven't played any, so I can't directly comment on that (but my experiences with owning PRS since 2010ish would say a 2021 is going to be a better guitar than a 2001 9.5/10 times). The mod to 3-way from 5-way rotary is common and shouldn't devalue the guitar.

If you like the guitar, go for it.

Maybe it is nostalgia, or there is something in the water here, but I'd take a
1990s or 2000s PRS over a present day production model. In fact, I did. :)

If you’re going used, pick up one that has the deep violin carve. I believe they used this carve until 2005 or 2006?

2021 is going to be a better guitar than a 2001 9.5/10 times).
The CE series would most certainly be an exception. The CE models were discontinued 2008/2009 and reintroduced 2015/2016. The 2008 and earlier CE models followed the "core" design of same components as the Custom line in a Bolt-on format.

Some consider the pre '95 to be better because they were predominately made by hand start to finish. Around '95 is when CNC machines were implemented to increase production and when people got up in arms about PRS selling out and making 'cheaper' guitars. Nothing about the designs really changed, the production just became more automated during the initial process of cutting out bodies and shaping necks. All of the finish shaping, sanding and finishing was still done by hand.

Point being; any of the CE models prior to being discontinued in 2008/2009 is a 'core' model. Anything after 2015/2016 is the new CE model with the import hardware.

The model I have is part of the Hot Hues series that were painted in DuPont "hot rod" paint colors. The color on mine is called Blazing Copper, I believe they ran from 2005-2007 and were part of the 20th anniversary line. These models were more closely related to the Standard series which had mahogany bodies.

The model I have is part of the Hot Hues series that were painted in DuPont "hot rod" paint colors. The color on mine is called Blazing Copper, I believe they ran from 2005-2007 and were part of the 20th anniversary line. These models were more closely related to the Standard series which had mahogany bodies.
this one I believe is a blazing copper finish. Its like a hotrod orange yes? I wonder if the neck profile is the same with these 2005-2007 models to the new issues. Other than the core violin carve and HFS pickups i think?, the newer CE24's are all american made, no violin carve though a slight contour and only the bridge and tuners are korean sourced
also, @JoKeR III were there pickup covers on your model? this one apparently has covers, currently off, and the bridge is a zebra style which has me wondering if there was a pickup swap

Last edited:
this one I believe is a blazing copper finish. Its like a hotrod orange yes? I wonder if the neck profile is the same with these 2005-2007 models to the new issues. Other than the core violin carve and HFS pickups i think?, the newer CE24's are all american made, no violin carve though a slight contour and only the bridge and tuners are korean sourced
It is like a hot rod orange, I jokingly correct people when they call it orange "It's Blazing Copper!". The neck profile should be pretty similar on both current and discontinued CE24's, at least that's what I recall about the Pattern Thin vs Wide Thin.

Yes, the current CE24's are made in the USA with the import hardware. The quality of the guitar's construction is not in question, PRS is one company that seems to not compromise on quality, even their SE line is solid. For me, the hardware is why I would pay more to find a pre 2008/2009 in good condition than buy a brand new current model. The hardware on the SE and new CE, at least to me, makes playing it feel like it's a completely different guitar. I've had 2 other CE models and all three have felt similar when it comes to playability.

One thing I remember hearing or reading an interview with PRS employees/designers when it came to the CE line was that it was originally designed to be a less expensive guitar to manufacture. It turned out to cost more than anticipated but the increased costs weren't passed on to the buyer. I believe the relaunch addressed some of these costs making it more what the original design was supposed to be.

@Chewie5150 did you see the listing of 4 PRS on kijiji? I forget if its edmonton or calgary, but it's a nice collection at a decent price (some a little high to me but if they are showroom condition then it makes more sense).

Included is a braz board custom 24, but you'll want to see the cites paperwork to verify. The 20th anni cu22 revs my engine haha.

@Budda I just looked at the ad. I had to broaden my search radius which is why I never saw these before. Wow. nice collection of PRS' and if he's selling 4 I wonder what kind of collection this guy has. dang. That White Gold one is pretty sweet looking. He's also selling a tractor for 57K. Wonder if he'd throw in a PRS to sweeten a tractor sale? ha.

Far from a PRS expert but in my observations the solid colors usually go for less than the figured tops.

@Budda I just looked at the ad. I had to broaden my search radius which is why I never saw these before. Wow. nice collection of PRS' and if he's selling 4 I wonder what kind of collection this guy has. dang. That White Gold one is pretty sweet looking. He's also selling a tractor for 57K. Wonder if he'd throw in a PRS to sweeten a tractor sale? ha.

I check country wide, I have people who can pick up for me haha.

Back
Top Bottom