EVH Chorus

rrhoads17

Inspired
Does anyone know how to emulate the EVH chorus? It is a difficult chorus to emulate as it kinda sounds like detune, but not quite.

Which EVH chorus are you referring to?

The “modern” EVH used a lot of detuning (Eventide), which is easily achieved with the Axe-Fx.

The Analog Mono or Stereo should get you there for a chorus sound. As Yek mentioned, from about Driver Down and up he was using a Wet/ Dry/ Wet setup and an Eventide for detuning.

Dual detune. Left up about 6 cents, right side down by the same amount. 100% wet. Adjust the number of cents to taste. I believe he used an Eventide H3000 from what I've read.

Dual detune. Left up about 6 cents, right side down by the same amount. 100% wet. Adjust the number of cents to taste. I believe he used an Eventide H3000 from what I've read.
That's the detune, not the chorus. He added the chorus pedal for certain songs when he ditched the Eventide.

For anyone interested, this is the micropitchshift preset from the H3000 (that everyone and their grandmother used):

Left +9, 0 ms
Right - 9, 25 ms

Not sure if it’s what you’re after, but @guitarzen has an awesome sounding Balance patch on here, which has a pitch block and reverb in parallel that sounds great. I took those blocks and added them to my own preset and fricking love it! Highly recommend trying that.

Maybe elaborate, in order to have a constructive discussion?

To me, the EVH chorus/DC-30 is different than your average chorus. Watch Pete Thorn's video on it. It has this certain "swirl" to it as the notes fade out. It kinda has this flanger, detune thing going on but the same type of detune as the Eventide. The MXR Analog Chorus that Eddie used in the last tour just doesn't sound the same. But that was before the EVH Chorus was made.

Eddie has used his sig chorus live. Anyway, Pete Thorns clips give a good foundation. It's a mono chorus with an asymmetrical trapezoid waveform. The stereo outputs are just W/D. The rate and mix are fixed. Min delay time can be measured with a DAW.

Ok, I took a stab at this. I would say it's quite close.

Type: Analog mono chorus
Speed: 0.606 hz (fixed on the pedal)
Minimum delay time: 15 ms (also fixed)
Waveform: Exp
Mix: 40-45 %
Auto depth: Off
Depth: To taste

That's basically it. The only unique thing about it is the jumpy waveform.

Also, even with the intensity at 0 on the pedal, there is still some sweeping of the delay time, although relatively little. For stereo, pan all your dry to the left, and all the wet to the right. Adjust wet so it's slightly lower in volume.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom