Everything you've always wanted to know about LEVELS (III, FM3, FM9)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The topic of setting and monitoring levels in the Axe-Fx III and FM3 has confused me in the past. Writing an article has been on my to-do list for quite a while. So here it is. It covers what's useful to know, answering some of my own questions. It may answer some of yours.

About LEVELS in the Axe-Fx III, FM3, FM9

The devices provide parameters at various places that control the level of the signal directly, as well as meters that display levels visually. This applies to the hardware and software. This document explains them, following the flow of the signal.

HARDWARE A/D INPUT LEVELS
  • The guitar's output signal enters the hardware through the instrument input. The first Axe-Fx III parameter that matters, is found here: Setup : I/O : Input. The A/D Sensitivity Levels parameters control the signal going into the analog-to-digital converter. Setting it right makes sure that minimal undesirable noise will enter the processor (aka signal-to-noise ratio or SNR).
  • The FM3 does not have these parameters. Instead, it provides Setup : I/O : Audio : Input Pad parameters.
  • The INPUT LEDs on the hardware correspond with these parameters.
  • Setting the A/D Input Level / Input Pad parameters correctly means that - ideally - there's no clipping warning and the meter doesn't go red. It’s common for a guitar not to hit red at all, which is nothing to worry about. If you have multiple guitars, just set the parameter for the loudest one, and leave it there. There’s 6 dB of headroom when the red LED lits, and 0.5 dB left when the clipping warning appears, then a soft-limiter kicks in. IMPORTANT! The A/D Input Level / Input Pad parameters do NOT affect volume, tone or the amount of amp gain. That’s because the processor compensates.
  • When you page right from the Home menu, you reach the Meters page. The ANALOG IN meters show the same thing as the INPUT LEDs on the hardware, without the green / orange / red colors.
  • After the A/D conversion, the signal (the note or chord you struck on your guitar) is now in the so-called digital domain.
DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT
  • Setup : I/O : USB/AES provides level controls for signal entering the processor through USB channels and (Axe-Fx III only) SPDIF and AES. Check these if you're connected to a computer and you get no sound from your DAW, YouTube, etc.
INPUT 1 GAIN
  • The Axe-Fx III provides a parameter to adjust ALL presets for variations in guitar output level: Setup : I/O : Input : Input 1 Gain. It trims the level of Input 1 before the start of the grid so, unlike the A/D Input Level parameters, it has affects blocks such as the virtual amplifier.
  • The FM3 doesn't provide this parameter.
PRESET: INPUT BLOCK
  • The signal enters the layout grid through an Input block. Like all blocks on the grid, it has a level parameter and 4 channels. This parameter lends itself well to adjust the signal for differences between guitars per preset, as an alternative to the global Input 1 Gain parameter mentioned above.
PRESET: AMP BLOCK
  • When it comes to levels, the Amp block on the grid is special. People often use the Amp Level parameter to set the overall level of the preset. This parameter controls the output of the Amp block and therefore does not affect the gain or tone of the virtual amplifier.
  • The Amp block also has a level parameter at the input of the Amp block: Input Trim. It can be used to mimic the difference between the Low and High inputs on a real amplifier, or to control the virtual amplifier’s gain (instead of using Input Drive in the Amp block).
  • There's much more to the Amp block, like Master Volume, but that's beyond the scope of this article. More information
PRESET: MORE ABOUT BLOCKS
  • When you select a block on the hardware and press Edit, you’ll see a mini meter, indicating the left/right input resp. output signals. The software editors do not provide these mini meters. If the input mini meter hits red, it means that the output level of the preceding block is too hot. Blocks in the digital domain can’t really clip though; that can only happen at the final digital-to-analog conversion stage.
  • Page right on the Layout screen to reach the Meters page (not the same as the Meters page on the Home screen), and you’ll see those mini meters for the entire grid. These are very handy to detect the cause of routing or level problems!
  • It’s good practice to aim for unity gain where possible, meaning that engaging and bypassing a block should not cause the sound to get softer or louder, unless that’s the goal.
PRESET: OUTPUT BLOCK
  • The signal exits the layout grid through an Output block. While the Amp Level parameter is the main parameter to control the overall preset level, Output Level can also be used as such. Especially because it provides additional functionality.
  • First, it lets you set individual output levels for each of the 8 scenes of the preset. Handy if you prefer to use dedicated scenes for soloing and such, but note that changing the output levels of individual scenes also affects the level of reverb and delay trails when switching between scenes, which may be undesirable.
  • Also, it provides meters that display the very important preset output level.
PRESET: LEVEL METERS
  • As written above, the Output blocks on the grid show vertical meters that display the final preset output level.
  • The same meters, but now displayed horizontally, appear when looking at the Layout screen in “zoomed out” view. These are often referred to as VU meters which show the relative loudness of the preset.
  • The software editors show the same meters in the Preset Leveling window.
  • These meters, which all show the same thing, can be used to set and match the levels of presets for consistent sound. Ideally, the level of the preset should hover around the red lines in the meters. The VU meters are calibrated such that there is still 12 dB of headroom at the red line with the OUT knob (see below) at maximum.
GLOBAL EQ
  • Each Global EQ, found in Setup : Global, includes a level parameter. This lets you control the overall level of the outgoing signal through that particular output port. This does not affect AES, SPDIF and USB Audio.
HARDWARE OUT KNOBS
  • Finally, the OUT knobs on the hardware let you adjust the overall volume for each pair of analog outputs. The exact position of the OUT knobs is shown as a percentage in Setup : Utility : ADC Levels.
  • OUT 1 also controls the volume level of the headphones output.
  • These knobs do not affect the USB Audio, SPDIF and AES output levels on the III. On the FM3, SPDIF is affected.
  • The OUTPUT LEDs on the Axe-Fx III show the digital levels going into the D/A converters. The FM3 has a single red CLIP LED instead of meters.
  • When the LED(s) indicates output clipping, there are two ways to intervene: (1) adjust the preset output level (on the grid or with the Global EQ level) or (2) turn down the OUT knob. Because together they set the level into the D/A converter. Note that output clipping can’t damage the device.
  • When you page right from the Home menu, you reach the Meters page. The ANALOG OUTPUT meters show the same thing as the OUTPUT LEDs on the hardware, but without the green / orange / red colors.
  • The maximum output level of the Axe-Fx III and FM3 is around 22 dBu.
  • When using AustinBuddy’s presets, take note of his specific advice to match output levels with a DAW.
NOMINAL OUTPUT LEVEL
  • Setup : Audio : Output Level lets you choose between -10 and +4. This is the overall nominal output level. The default is -10 dBv to reduce the number of support cases due to people overloading the inputs on consumer-grade interfaces, mixers, etc. Most professional gear runs at +4 dBu so you may want to change the level to +4 dBu in that case. Note: the legacy Axe-Fx II is set to +4 dBu at default, so it is louder than the III at factory settings.
DOWNSTREAM GEAR
  • Powered monitors, amplifiers etc. provide levels controls of their own. This is beyond the scope of this article.
I/O LOOPS
  • I/O ports 3 and 4 on the Axe-Fx III, and I/O port 2 on the FM3, are designed for unity gain applications, such as effect loops. What comes in, goes out at the same level when the corresponding OUT knob is turned fully clockwise. This means that these output ports are less loud than OUT 1.
A FINAL WORD
  • A level parameter is just that. It makes the signal louder or softer. It's digital, it has no sound of its own, it's neutral. Changing the value of a block’s level parameter will only change the sound (gain, distortion, tone, etc.) when that block is followed by non-LTI effects such as an Amp or Drive block.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

The topic of setting and monitoring levels in the Axe-Fx III has often confused me in the past. And writing an article about it has been on my to-do list for quite a while. So here it is. This covers what's useful to know, to me. It answered some of my own questions. It may answer some of yours.

I'll possibly have gotten some details wrong. No doubt members of the community will jump in. Maybe Fractal Audio will. Consider this a work in progress. When finalized, I will move it to the wiki.

-------------

About LEVELS in the Axe-Fx III and FM3

The Axe-Fx III and FM3 provide parameters at various places that control the level of the signal directly, as well as meters that display the levels visually. This applies to the hardware and software. This document explains them, following the flow of the signal.

• The signal from the guitar enters the hardware through the instrument input. The first parameter in the Axe-Fx III that matters here, is Setup : I/O : Input. The A/D Input Levels parameters control the signal going into the analog-to-digital converter. Setting it right makes sure that minimal undesirable noise enters the processor (aka SNR or signal-to-noise ratio).
  • The FM3 does not have Input Level parameters. It provides Setup : I/O : Audio : Input Pad parameters instead, for the same purpose.
  • The INPUT LEDs on the hardware correspond with the A/D Input Level / Input Pad parameters.
  • Setting the A/D Input Level / Input Pad parameters right means that ideally the red input LED on the hardware lits up occasionally (“tickling the red”). It’s common for a guitar to not hit the red at all, which is nothing to worry about. If you have multiple guitars, just set the input parameter for the loudest one, and leave it there.
  • Even when hitting the red, the signal is never really clipping hard. There’s 6 dB of headroom, and after that a soft-limiter kicks in.
  • IMPORTANT! The A/D Input Level / Input Pad parameters do NOT have an impact on the loudnesss of the signal or on the amount of amp gain. That’s because the processor compensates the selected setting. EXCEPT: do not set it below 5% on the Axe-Fx III.
  • When you page right from the Home menu, you reach the Meters page. The ANALOG IN meters show the same thing as the INPUT LEDs on the hardware, but without the green / orange / red colors.
  • After the A/D conversion, the signal (which is the note or chord you struck on your guitar) is now in the so-called digital domain.
INPUT 1 GAIN
  • The Axe-Fx III provides a parameter to adjust all presets for variations in guitar output level (guitar pickups). It’s Setup : I/O : Input : Input 1 Gain. As said, this is a global parameter that operates across all presets. It trims the level of Input 1 before the start of the grid so, unlike the A/D Input Level parameters, it has an impact on blocks such as the virtual amplifier.
  • The FM3 does not provide this parameter.
  • The signal enters the layout grid through an Input block. Like all blocks on the grid, it has a Level parameter and 4 channels. This parameter at the start of the chain lends itself well to adjust the signal for differences between guitars per preset, as an alternative to the global Input 1 Gain parameter mentioned above.
  • When it comes to levels, the Amp block on the grid is special. It’s meant to make the signal louder (not unity gain). People often use the Amp Level parameter to set the overall level of the preset. This parameter controls the output of the Amp block and therefore does not have an impact on the gain or tone of the virtual amplifier.
  • The Amp block also has a parameter that controls the level of the incoming signal: Input Trim. It’s a simple parameter that controls the level of the signal at the input of the block. It be used to mimic the difference between the Low and High inputs on a real amplifier, or to control the virtual amplifier’s gain (instead of using Input Drive in the Amp block).
  • When you select a block on the hardware and press Edit, you’ll see a mini meter, indicating the left/right input signal, and left/right output signal. The software editors do not provide these mini meters. If the input mini meter hits red, it means that the output level of the preceding block is too hot. Block in the digital domain can’t really clip though; that can only happen at the final digital-to-analog stage.
  • Page right on the Layout screen to get to the Meters page (not the same as the Meters page on the Home screen), and you’ll see those mini meters for the entire grid. A very handy tool to detect the cause of problems.
  • It’s good practice to aim for unity gain where possible, meaning that engaging and bypassing a block should not cause the sound to get softer or louder unless that’s the purpose.
  • The signal exits the layout grid through an Output block. I’ve stated above that the Amp Level parameter is the main parameter to control the overall preset level, but Output Level can also be used as such. Especially because it provides additional functionality.
  • First of all, it lets you set individual output levels for each of the 8 scenes of the preset. Handy when you use dedicated scenes for soloing.
  • Also, it provides meters that display the preset’s output level.
  • As written above, the Output blocks on the grid show vertical meters that display the preset’s output level.
  • The same meters, but now displayed horizontally, appear when looking at the Layout screen in “zoomed out” view. They are often referred to as VU meters which show the relative loudness of the preset.
  • These meters, which all show the same thing, can be used to set and match the levels of presets for consistent sound. Ideally, the level of the preset should be set to hoover around the red lines in the meters. The VU meters are calibrated such that there is 12 dB of headroom at the red line with the OUT knob (see below) at maximum.
GLOBAL EQ
  • Each Global EQ, found in Setup : Global, includes a level parameter. This provides a way to control the overall level of the outgoing signal through that particular output port.
SYSTEM AUDIO OUTPUT LEVEL
  • Setup : Audio : Output Level lets you choose between -10 and +4. This is the overall nominal output level of the hardware. The default is -10 dBv to reduce the number of support cases due to people overloading the inputs on consumer-grade interfaces, mixers, etc. Most professional gear runs at +4 dBu so if using a pro-grade interface, mixer, etc., you may want to change the level to +4 dBu. The Axe-Fx II was set to +4 dBu at default, so it was louder.
I/O LOOPS
  • I/O ports 3 and 4 on the Axe-Fx III, and I/O port 2 on the FM3, are designed for unity gain applications: what comes in, goes out at the same level. To achieve this, make sure to turn the corresponding OUT knob fully clockwise.
OUT KNOBS
  • Finally, the OUT knobs on the hardware let you adjust the volume of the device, for each pair of outputs. This happens after the digital-to-analog conversion, so these are analog controls. The exact position of the OUT knobs is shown as a percentage in Utility : ADC Levels.
  • The OUTPUT LEDs on the Axe-Fx III correspond with the OUT knobs (post-fader). They can be seen as “levels into converters”. The FM3 has a single red CLIP LED instead.
  • The signaling of clipping depends on two things: (1) the preset’s output level (the levels of the blocks on the grid) and (2) the position of the OUT knob.
  • If the device indicates output clipping, action should be taken. On the Layout screen page right, and check which block shows red output meters. For a quick temporary solution, turn down level in the Global EQ. Note that clipping can’t damage the device.
  • When you page right from the Home menu, you reach the Meters page. The ANALOG OUTPUT meters show the same thing as the OUTPUT LEDs on the hardware, but without the green / orange / red colors.
  • The maximum output level of the Axe-Fx III and FM3 is 22 dBu.
Wow! Excellent work @yek! I will be saving this post!

Reactions: yek
What an incredibly helpful wealth of information. Thanks, Yek, for taking the time to do this. Looking forward to the finished product even more.
I don't know if you knew what you're getting yourself into with this Wiki years ago, but know that many of us out here are greatly appreciative.

The direct reason for writing this, is the mechanism behind the indication of "output clipping". Which confused me because it's the combination of the grid and AND the position of the physical OUT knob. Meaning that if output clipping occurs, turning down the output volume with the OUT knob can solve it.

[edited]

Last edited:
The direct reason for writing this, is the mechanism behind the indication of "output clipping".
Which, TBH, still confuses me a little, because it's the combination of clipping in the digital-to-analog stage AND the position of the physical OUT knob. Meaning that if output clipping occurs, turning down the output volume with the OUT knob can solve it.
Which is the opposite of what’s stated in the manual too.

@yek Thank you sir. Really appreciate all your contributions to the FAS community. This one gets added to my FAS binder! Big thanks and thumbs up. Happy holidays and happy and healthy 2021.

The topic of setting and monitoring levels in the Axe-Fx III and FM3 has confused me in the past. And writing an article about it has been on my to-do list for quite a while. So here it is. This covers what's useful to know, for me. Answering some of my own questions. It may answer some of yours.

I'll may have gotten some details wrong. No doubt members of the community will jump in. Maybe Fractal Audio will. Consider this a work in progress. After having reached a stable condition (the article, not me), I will move it to the wiki.

About LEVELS in the Axe-Fx III and FM3

The Axe-Fx III and FM3 provide parameters at various places that control the level of the signal directly, as well as meters in various places that display the levels visually. This applies to the hardware and software. This document explains them, following the flow of the signal.

• The signal from the guitar enters the hardware through the instrument input. The first parameter in the Axe-Fx III that matters here, is Setup : I/O : Input. The A/D Input Levels parameters control the signal going into the analog-to-digital converter. Setting it right makes sure that minimal undesirable noise enters the processor (aka SNR or signal-to-noise ratio).
  • The FM3 does not have Input Level parameters. It provides Setup : I/O : Audio : Input Pad parameters instead, for the same purpose.
  • The INPUT LEDs on the hardware correspond with these parameters.
  • Setting the A/D Input Level / Input Pad parameters correctly means that - ideally - the red input LED on the hardware lights up occasionally (“tickling the red”). It’s common for a guitar not to hit the red at all, which is nothing to worry about. If you have multiple guitars, just set the input parameter for the loudest one, and leave it there. Even when hitting the red, the signal is never really clipping hard. There’s 6 dB of headroom, and after that a soft-limiter kicks in.
  • IMPORTANT! The A/D Input Level / Input Pad parameters do NOT have an impact on the loudness of the signal, on tone or the amount of amp gain. That’s because the processor compensates the selected setting. BUT: do not set it below 5% on the Axe-Fx III.
  • When you page right from the Home menu, you reach the Meters page. The ANALOG IN meters show the same thing as the INPUT LEDs on the hardware, but without the green / orange / red colors.
  • After the A/D conversion, the signal (which is the note or chord you struck on your guitar) now arrives in the so-called digital domain.
INPUT 1 GAIN
  • The Axe-Fx III provides a parameter to adjust ALL presets for variations in guitar output level (guitar pickups). It’s Setup : I/O : Input : Input 1 Gain. As said, this is a global parameter that operates across all presets. It trims the level of Input 1 before the start of the grid so, unlike the A/D Input Level parameters, it has an impact on blocks such as the virtual amplifier.
  • The FM3 does not provide this parameter.
  • The signal enters the layout grid through an Input block. Like all blocks on the grid, it has a Level parameter and 4 channels. This parameter at the start of the chain lends itself well to adjust the signal for differences between guitars per preset, as an alternative to the global Input 1 Gain parameter mentioned above.
  • When it comes to levels, the Amp block on the grid is special. It’s meant to make the signal louder (not unity gain). People often use the Amp Level parameter to set the overall level of the preset. This parameter controls the output of the Amp block and therefore does not have an impact on the gain or tone of the virtual amplifier.
  • The Amp block also has a parameter that controls the level of the incoming signal: Input Trim. It’s a simple parameter that controls the level of the signal at the input of the block. It be used to mimic the difference between the Low and High inputs on a real amplifier, or to control the virtual amplifier’s gain (instead of using Input Drive in the Amp block).
  • When you select a block on the hardware and press Edit, you’ll see a mini meter, indicating the left/right input signal, and left/right output signal. The software editors do not provide these mini meters. If the input mini meter hits red, it means that the output level of the preceding block is too hot. Blocks in the digital domain can’t really clip though; that can only happen at the final digital-to-analog stage.
  • Page right on the Layout screen to get to the Meters page (not the same as the Meters page on the Home screen), and you’ll see those mini meters for the entire grid. A very handy tool to detect the cause of problems.
  • It’s good practice to aim for unity gain where possible, meaning that engaging and bypassing a block should not cause the sound to get softer or louder unless that’s the purpose.
  • The signal exits the layout grid through an Output block. I’ve stated above that the Amp Level parameter is the main parameter to control the overall preset level, but Output Level can also be used as such. Especially because it provides additional functionality.
  • First of all, it lets you set individual output levels for each of the 8 scenes of the preset. Handy when you use dedicated scenes for soloing.
  • Also, it provides meters that display the very important preset output level.
  • As written above, the Output blocks on the grid show vertical meters that display the preset’s output level.
  • The same meters, but now displayed horizontally, appear when looking at the Layout screen in “zoomed out” view. They are often referred to as VU meters which show the relative loudness of the preset.
  • These meters, which all show the same thing, can be used to set and match the levels of presets for consistent sound. Ideally, the level of the preset should be set to hover around the red lines in the meters. The VU meters are calibrated such that there is 12 dB of headroom at the red line with the OUT knob (see below) at maximum.
GLOBAL EQ
  • Each Global EQ, found in Setup : Global, includes a level parameter. This provides a way to control the overall level of the outgoing signal through that particular output port.
NOMINAL OUTPUT LEVEL
  • Setup : Audio : Output Level lets you choose between -10 and +4. This is the overall nominal output level of the hardware. The default is -10 dBv to reduce the number of support cases due to people overloading the inputs on consumer-grade interfaces, mixers, etc. Most professional gear runs at +4 dBu so if using a pro-grade interface, mixer, etc., you may want to change the level to +4 dBu. The legacy Axe-Fx II is set to +4 dBu at default, so it is louder than the III.
HARDWARE OUT KNOBS
  • Finally, the OUT knobs on the hardware let you adjust the volume of the device, for each pair of outputs. This happens after the digital-to-analog conversion, so these are analog controls. The exact position of the OUT knobs is shown as a percentage in Utility : ADC Levels.
  • The OUTPUT LEDs on the Axe-Fx III correspond with the OUT knobs (post-fader). They can be seen as “levels into converters.” The FM3 has a single red CLIP LED instead.
  • The indication of clipping depends on two things: (1) the preset’s output level (the levels of the blocks on the grid) and (2) the position of the OUT knob.
  • If the device indicates output clipping, action should be taken. On the Layout screen page right, and check which block shows red output meters. For a quick temporary solution, turn down level in the Global EQ. Note that clipping can’t damage the device.
  • The maximum output level of the Axe-Fx III and FM3 is 22 dBu.
DOWNSTREAM GEAR
  • Powered monitors, amplifiers etc. provide levels controls of their own. This is beyond the scope of this article.
I/O LOOPS
  • I/O ports 3 and 4 on the Axe-Fx III, and I/O port 2 on the FM3, are designed for unity gain applications, such as effect loops. What comes in, goes out at the same level. To achieve this, make sure to turn the corresponding OUT knob fully clockwise.
A FINAL WORD
  • A level parameter is just that. It makes the signal louder or softer. It's digital, so it has no sound of its own, it's neutral. Changing the value of a block’s level parameter will only change the sound (gain, distortion, tone, etc.) when that block is followed by non-LTI effects such as an Amp or Drive block.
Thank you Sir! Already copied and saved.

what about when connecting your axe to your interface via SPDIF. How do the various input levels effect this? Thanks

This is really helpful Yek!

• These meters, which all show the same thing, can be used to set and match the levels of presets for consistent sound. Ideally, the level of the preset should be set to hover around the red lines in the meters. The VU meters are calibrated such that there is 12 dB of headroom at the red line with the OUT knob (see below) at maximum.

To clarify, this means that hitting the red in the output block's meter does not indicate clipping?

Hi Yek, thanks for this. Do you know under what topic this will appear in the wiki (I assume it will). I was searching but didn't find it .. maybe not there yet and maybe I missed it.

"OUTPUT BLOCK : First of all, it lets you set individual output levels for each of the 8 scenes of the preset. Handy when you use dedicated scenes for soloing."

One reason I don't use the output block for scene-specific level changes is that it changes the volume of everything going through it. So, for example, delay & reverb tails will change in volume up/down based on the change in volume here. It's a bummer to hear your beautiful delays get abruptly cut in volume when you switch off the solo mode...

"OUTPUT BLOCK : First of all, it lets you set individual output levels for each of the 8 scenes of the preset. Handy when you use dedicated scenes for soloing."

One reason I don't use the output block for scene-specific level changes is that it changes the volume of everything going through it. So, for example, delay & reverb tails will change in volume up/down based on the change in volume here. It's a bummer to hear your beautiful delays get abruptly cut in volume when you switch off the solo mode...
I think that is a great point to include.

Great and useful article, wasn't aware of all these mini-meters and mini meters on layout page format. One always tends to forget that in the out block levels can be changed per scene what may economise CPU by suppressing VOL blocks.

Back
Top Bottom