Everse 8

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Hi.
Anyone use the Everse 8? I'm looking for a portable speaker for tiny gigs to plug in an FM3 and a backing track source. Wondering how it sounds.
I like EV as a company generally and usually trust their offerings. But I'd like to hear feedback from users here - if any.

Interesting.

8" speaker
16.8lbs
battery powered for 6+ hours of playback
built-in mixer with effects
wireless mixer/volume control via mobile app
Bluetooth
weatherized (rain and beer resistant)

I am really keen to hear ...
  • How this unit sounds (line level sources, instrument level sources, vocal, modelers, etc.)
  • If it can act as an effective "FRFR-like" portable solution for an FM9
  • What are the drawbacks / negatives with it (besides the retail price / size ratio)
  • How does the sound stack up against ....
    • Headrush FRFR-108
    • Red Sound Elis8
    • Other 8" PA-type speakers ???
On paper it seems like a multipurpose winner.

Did anyone of you had the chance to test the Everse 8 yet? Looks so promising for small gigs :)

I'm strongly considering taking one for the team and getting one from Sweetwater. I'd like to start doing solo acoustic gigs and it'd be super useful. My cover band is also playing its first gig in a month and change and I'm skeptical that we'll have adequate monitoring available so it'd be nice to use for vocals and guitar both. I'll keep this thread apprised regardless.

Reactions: smp
Everse has been ordered and is en route from Sweetwater. I'll take it and my FM3 to the practice space and provide a report sometime in the next few weeks.
Looks cool. You could also just use this as a monitor for cover band gigs if you wanted too right?

Everse has been ordered and is en route from Sweetwater. I'll take it and my FM3 to the practice space and provide a report sometime in the next few weeks.
Have you had a chance to test the EV 8 yet? Today i ordered 2 of them for my acoustic band and i will try one of them for my FM9. I hope i can also report soon :)

Have you had a chance to test the EV 8 yet? Today i ordered 2 of them for my acoustic band and i will try one of them for my FM9. I hope i can also report soon :)
I'm literally in an Uber to my practice space with it now. I'll report back tonight or tomorrow! I still haven't had the chance to crank it outside of my apartment so this shall be the maiden voyage.

Alright... I just spent 30 minutes pushing this thing to its limits in a padded room by myself in monitor position a few feet in front of me. Observations in no particular order:

• MUCH louder than a Bose S1 Pro and it doesn't seem to lose volume when running on battery. This will definitely keep up with a drummer in a pinch (with a caveat...)
  • It can't reliably deliver the chest-thumping low end that you might want if you're playing chuggy downtuned stuff. The bottom farts out pretty easily on distorted palm mutes, but engaging an HPF via the PEQ or setting the crossover to 100Hz solves this very easily.
  • There doesn't seem to be a completely-flat setting as far as EQ goes but Music seems to be closest. Live has a bit of a mid-bump that might be desirable depending on the room and mix.
  • The frequency response varies with volume more than any other powered speaker I've used previously. I don't know if this is DSP magic or something physical as regards the smaller 8" driver but it's definitely a thing; the midrange becomes more prominent and even a bit strident towards maximum volume
  • I would recommend this for use as a personal monitor for a band gig, a single main for an acoustic gig a la the S1 Pro, or a boom box. I wouldn't use it as your only noisemaker for electric guitar in a band setting.
  • The iOS app works very well. My only complaint is the slow pairing on initial startup which sometimes takes 10 seconds.
  • I really wish that you could adjust the levels of each input on the XLR out... this way I could monitor my FM3 but send only my mic out to the board (since the FM3 has outputs galore).

All in all: it works well at low to moderate volumes and will push air in a pinch. If you don't have a need for the portability, battery or versatility (really the dispersion) then spend a bit less and get a traditional 12" powered main if you want to play electric guitar through it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom