Ever notice it a "doubling" sound from the Axe-Fx?

Finaldo

Inspired
Not sure what's going on, or if my ears are just playing tricks on me...

I've noticed that it sounds at times like I'm hearing a doubling of guitar. Something like a 5ms delayed signal mixed with my real signal... or a really short reverb. The patches that I have set up are just amp and cab, sometimes two cabs, with stock IRs. It also happens when I play through my FBT Verve 12ma, or through my KRK Rokit RP5 monitors, so maybe I can eliminate those from the list of possible causes?

The only thing I've really been able to discern about it is that if I use the Recto Orange or Shiver Ld, and turn the "master" knob up, and the effect is more noticeable. It happens with the other amp sims as well... maybe just the higher-gain ones. I am just pointing out the Recto Orange and the Shiver Ld since those are what I was messing with last night.

Anyone else heard anything like this? I'm wondering if it's something going on with phase, but I don't know what would be causing it.

If you're playing quiet enough that you can hear the acoustic sound of your guitar strings then you may just be hearing the latency of the Axe's digital converters.
The ever-so-slightly delayed audio mixed in with the acoustic sound will create a type of comb filtering effect in the ear.

The Axe has about minimal amount of latency possible with a digital system but there is still some latency.

Turning up the Master might increase processing time a little bit thereby increasing the latency.

But I'm just guessing.

joegold said:
If you're playing quiet enough that you can hear the acoustic sound of your guitar strings then you may just be hearing the latency of the Axe's digital converters.
The latency due to "time of flight" of the sound from the speakers to your ears is always there - at approximately 1 millisecond per foot - and is always much greater than any latency due to the Axe-Fx. Latency in the Axe-Fx is not a factor in either sound or feel.

In order for a repeated sound to be heard and perceived as a separate event, the second one must follow the first by an amount of time exceeding ~20 milliseconds. Somewhere around 25-30 ms, a distinct "doubling" will appear. At shorter times, the effect will be one of coloration and/or "hollowness." Two sounds arriving less than 10ms apart are fused perceptually, and the only effect of the delay is heard in the frequency domain as comb filtering.

Are you talking about like the kind of microphonic resonance you can get with a tube amp?
Like almost magical reverb type thing even tho you have no reverb going i don't know how else to explain it or what to call it or what it is, ..maybe a pickup interaction and a good resonant guitar. Anyway i get something like that, got it with my mp-1 alot and i liked it. I thought it was intentional in the axe to recreate that phenomenon, Anyway sounds like what your talking about maybe. I hear it.

gonna add that it's usually mostly noticeable when playing leads and bending on high notes or playing bar type chords on the higher strings.
I thought maybe it was also natural resonance from my fingers, really skinny bony fingers, lol. You can kinda control it with the varying pressure you apply at the end of a bend, hard to describe, really did it a lot with my mp-1.

Also another thing i noticed, ah i contemplate the weirdest things, but if you press your guitar tight against your body when you play like if your sitting down and really lock your forearm down on the body of the guitar and press it tight against you the guitar resonates thru your body and the tone changes a lot, resonates big.

Thanks for the responses, all... What I'm talking about isn't the acoustic sound of my guitar... It sounds like a doubling of the guitar coming out of my monitor, and it makes it sound very fake. It literally sounds like there's a second signal going through the AxeFx on a very short delay. I'll have to see if I can get a recording of what it sounds like, but I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to do that.

Is the effect still present if you set the Axe Fx to mono, or use just one output (Left)?

are you playing the Axe in or through a soundcard?

what you describe happens when you monitor the Axe direct AND have the monitoring feature of a track in a sequencer enabled at the same time.

Two of my main high gain patches are the Recto Orange and Shiver LD, both with the master volumes up quite high. Can't say I've ever had this doubling problem. :|

DonPetersen said:

what you describe happens when you monitor the Axe direct AND have the monitoring feature of a track in a sequencer enabled at the same time.

Exactly what came to my mind.

FWIW, unless you set it up that way, the Axe-FX won't just 'do' what the OP describes. There's something amiss in settings or using the sound card at play here.

You've got the direct soundcard and the output of your recording software at the same time. Mute the recording software track.

DonPetersen said:

That is the first thing I thought of as well. I have to use the direct signal for monitoring otherwise I get the doubling effect.

FractalAudio said:
You've got the direct soundcard and the output of your recording software at the same time. Mute the recording software track.

This is what I thought at first, but the OP did say...

It also happens when I play through my FBT Verve 12ma, or through my KRK Rokit RP5 monitors, so maybe I can eliminate those from the list of possible causes?

If he's talking about only running the FBT or only the KRKs at any one given point in time, then I dunno.

DNW said:
FractalAudio said:

This is what I thought at first, but the OP did say...

It also happens when I play through my FBT Verve 12ma, or through my KRK Rokit RP5 monitors, so maybe I can eliminate those from the list of possible causes?

If he's talking about only running the FBT or only the KRKs at any one given point in time, then I dunno.
DNW is right... I'm running mono into my Verve 12ma, and that's it.. nothing else is hooked up to the Axe-Fx except for my guitar. I really have to see if I can capture what I'm talking about in a recording.

Finaldo said:
DNW is right... I'm running mono into my Verve 12ma, and that's it.. nothing else is hooked up to the Axe-Fx except for my guitar. I really have to see if I can capture what I'm talking about in a recording.

If you can capture the sound, post up the patch that's doing it. I can't think of any kind of setting in the Axe that would do that, so I can only imagine it's something in the patch. :|

Back
Top Bottom