Eventide H90, can it do anything AxeFX cant?

Self explanatory. I know some algorithms are somewhat unique, but I feel that we should be able to “fake” them using existing blocks. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

This pedal is getting a lot of hype, I’m looking for someone to talk me out of getting one :D

The Axe3 and H90 are both great pieces of gear and can both do things that the other can’t. (I don’t believe anyone would seriously dispute that)… can you approximate some of the H90 algorithms in the Axe3? Sure. As an experiment, check Leon’s newest video on the Headspace algorithm. See how close you can get to that. And that one is not even the most complicated of the lot.

I think (as others have said) it all depends on your use scenario.

I think the two things I found were it can do a granular style delay and the looper is more advanced.

It interests me for those two reasons and it can fit on a pedalboard, which I still use with amps.

PrismShift is pretty fun and pretty unique. The virtual capo covers the other poly-pitch algo in the H90, Polyphony. You can of course get very close to pretty much everything else if you're knowledgeable/patient/persistent enough but that's like so many other pieces of gear anyway. The H90 is also significantly smaller than the FM3, runs off a pedal power supply and is clearly intended as a solution for anyone who runs to H9's or similar units. I did a video recently using the H90 as a "sidecar" solution with an FM3 and it works great in that setup - so much so that I couldn't help imagine how useful and appealing a similar sized Fractal unit might be!

I did some very quick tests measuring the frequency response of the H90 diatonic shifter and there's a pretty clear lowpass filter happening ( approx. 4khz if i'm reading things correctly). The Microshift algorithm "tone" control seems to be a tilt eq at 1kz with a range of +/-9dB.

I've got an H3000, Eclipse, H9 and H90 and they all sound different. IMO the Axe-Fx actually gets closer to the coveted H3000 Micropitch presets than the H9 or H90. See this thread.

PrismShift is pretty fun and pretty unique. The virtual capo covers the other poly-pitch algo in the H90, Polyphony. You can of course get very close to pretty much everything else if you're knowledgeable/patient/persistent enough but that's like so many other pieces of gear anyway. The H90 is also significantly smaller than the FM3, runs off a pedal power supply and is clearly intended as a solution for anyone who runs to H9's or similar units. I did a video recently using the H90 as a "sidecar" solution with an FM3 and it works great in that setup - so much so that I couldn't help imagine how useful and appealing a similar sized Fractal unit might be!

I did some very quick tests measuring the frequency response of the H90 diatonic shifter and there's a pretty clear lowpass filter happening ( approx. 4khz if i'm reading things correctly). The Microshift algorithm "tone" control seems to be a tilt eq at 1kz with a range of +/-9dB.

I've got an H3000, Eclipse, H9 and H90 and they all sound different. IMO the Axe-Fx actually gets closer to the coveted H3000 Micropitch presets than the H9 or H90. See this thread.
When I measured some of the Eclipse algorithms the lowpass was around 2kHz IIRC.

My H90 arrived last night. Sounds great out of the box. Very good preset design. I find it more difficult to use than the Axe III at the moment, haha!

The spillover behaviour is lovely. Hotswitches are great.

I don't honestly think the algorithms sound particularly better than the Axe III. They're both really stellar. The H90 is just a really cool bit of kit and sits nicely next to an Axe III.

I'm looking at my Boss 500 series pedals, my Source Audio Ventris, my Boss Harmonist PS-6, and my Carbon Copy Deluxe, and I'm thinking.... I don't really need any of these anymore.

My H90 arrived last night. Sounds great out of the box. Very good preset design. I find it more difficult to use than the Axe III at the moment, haha!

I don't honestly think the algorithms sound particularly better than the Axe III. They're both really stellar. The H90 is just a really cool bit of kit and sits nicely next to an Axe III.

I'm looking at my Boss 500 series pedals, my Source Audio Ventris, my Boss Harmonist PS-6, and my Carbon Copy Deluxe, and I'm thinking.... I don't really need any of these anymore.
I have never found better effects than Eventide.
I miss my Eclipse so I bought the H90.
Looking forward hearing some comparison clips :)

Looking forward hearing some comparison clips :)
I was using the FX3 for effects only but after buying the H90, i have sold the FX3 few days ago...
Both are great of course but i can raise the mix higher with eventide and everything is beautiful.
There is something special I liked better, but yeah not so easy to program than the axe fx

The Meris LVX is nice, too. The stock presets are very usable. Similar dual-algorithm concept, but obviously a newer kid on the block (company-wise). I use gadgets like these in my non-Fractal signal paths, like after the UA OX outs and after UAFX amp pedals.

I don’t own an H90 yet, but I agree that these types of higher-end outboard gadgets aren’t “better”, but they are fun and different.

Last edited:
I couldn't help imagine how useful and appealing a similar sized Fractal unit might be!
All I want for Christmas is a Stomp-sized (or smaller, Xotic RC or even EP-sized) Fractal capable of running Amp, Cab (single standard iR), Cmp, Drv and Rev (economy) blocks with a single channel on each. Chr and Dly are optional for me (maybe an option to replace one block with another, like swap Cmp for Dly). With a single foot switch (scene up-down or effect switch) and maybe a couple of other buttons to switch presets etc.
One instrument input, one unbalanced output, volume control. No headphones output, screw it.

I don't need anything else to be happy. I mean it.

Following that statement up with “I mean it” sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself!
Not trying, already did! :) I am good at convincing myself! :D
But in all seriousness, I was just trying to make a point. After a year with the device I am pretty much sure that's all I need - a very small and powerful fractal device. Even fm3 is too much for me!

Case in point the recent threads about the Keeley Andy Timmons Halo delay pedal emulations.

That was a really cool thing to watch (and hear) unfold, and ultimately included Robert Keeley himself chiming in here AND the addition of the Aurora type in the MultiTap Delay.
WHAT? Where did this happen

The Meris LVX is nice, too. The stock presets are very usable. Similar dual-algorithm concept, but obviously a newer kid on the block (company-wise). I use gadgets like these in my non-Fractal signal paths, like after the UA OX outs and after UAFX amp pedals.

I don’t own an H90 yet, but I agree that these types of higher-end outboard gadgets aren’t “better”, but they are fun and different.
I have the LVX, I have early onset altheizmers from the "menu" system. I cant BELIEVE people compnain about fractal interface (which is INCREDIBLY EASY TO UNDERSTAND AND USE even though it controls complexity).

I may as well close my eyes and push buttons on the LVX, complete nightmare of an interface.

Sound wise its okay I guess, anyone with half a brain should be eable to emulate any future pedal ever, with a FM3.

In full agreement with Leon. I'm not sure which model Cliff sought to emulate but there is definitely not a 2K filter on the 3000 at all.
The H9 definitely has a low pass that's lower than all of them.
The Eventide 910, 949, 3000 and h9 all sound remarkably different.
As Leon stated, the Fractal sounds closest to the 3000.
I'd like to get my hands on an H90 to hear what they did with that.

Back
Top Bottom