Eventide H90, can it do anything AxeFX cant?

played it some more and yeah it's fun. didn't crash again which is nice, yesterday was perhaps just a random fluke...fingers crossed eh!

would be nice to keep this one. Even with all the issues I've had over the years I can't stop drooling over the 9000...

I've owned an H9 Max for a long time (initially for mod duty with Ax2 when I was running out of cpu - descent pedal so I keep it in the loop of Ax3). I've never had any issues with it though I don't like it's physical and editor-app interface design. The algos are good but not as good as Axfx imo often having less control parameters. I could never understand why so many of the H9 stock presets are dedicated to goofy sounds and so few dedicated to nice sounding bread and butter fx settlngs (they're in there - you just have to figure out how to dial them in). Thought about trading it in for an H90 to get the supposedly improved algos but the price point seems too high for the added sounds it could provide.

I've owned an H9 Max for a long time (initially for mod duty with Ax2 when I was running out of cpu - descent pedal so I keep it in the loop of Ax3). I've never had any issues with it though I don't like it's physical and editor-app interface design. The algos are good but not as good as Axfx imo often having less control parameters. I could never understand why so many of the H9 stock presets are dedicated to goofy sounds and so few dedicated to nice sounding bread and butter fx settlngs (they're in there - you just have to figure out how to dial them in). Thought about trading it in for an H90 to get the supposedly improved algos but the price point seems too high for the added sounds it could provide.
The app offers more settings for each effect than the pedal, I use the phone to control it, but I mainly use the H9000 now and ditched the H9. I have no stability issues with it but it is a studio tool I think, more than a stage tool. I don't think the Axe or anything makes it superfluous, the micro pitch stuff and all the classic original digital effects (instant flanger) are faithfully there. Sure you don't need it, but what do you really need?

Boss also has simpler approach to its modeling, it's just a different philosophy than Axe, they've all got their way and can be combined or used alone. We live in a lucky time.

All the greats took over the world with a guitar and an amp. Maybe a handful of pedals, if that. I know some guys do it, but man an H9000 in a guitar rig will leave it 90% unrealized in what it can really do.
A lot of shows now you cant even hear a guitar with 3 guitarists on stage. Just a bunch of synth sounding ambiance and noises. People playing keyboards on guitar basically. Its kind of sad 🤷‍♂️

A lot of shows now you cant even hear a guitar with 3 guitarists on stage. Just a bunch of synth sounding ambiance and noises. People playing keyboards on guitar basically. Its kind of sad 🤷‍♂️
I wouldn’t say sad, it’s just different. However the artist needs to express what they’re trying to do, they should do that. Straight in is great. Vai type fx are great. Soundscapes can be great too.

I wouldn’t say sad, it’s just different. However the artist needs to express what they’re trying to do, they should do that. Straight in is great. Vai type fx are great. Soundscapes can be great too.
Yeah I like some of it, I just feel like why not play that stuff back in a track (or have a keyboard player) and let the guitarist play some guitar that can actually be heard that isnt buried under 10,000 leagues of wet mush. As a player, it just isnt inspiring even if it is "serving the song". Especially 10 straight songs of it.

Thats fair. I didnt say it wasnt inspiring to everyone, just not me. Like I said, I might actually like song, just not understand the choice the use guitar to make drone sounds through the whole song like a virtual instrument...

Thats fair. I didnt say it wasnt inspiring to everyone, just not me. Like I said, I might actually like song, just not understand the choice the use guitar to make drone sounds through the whole song like a virtual instrument...
Because they enjoy it. That is it.

Also, I’d wager most people barely use 10% of what the axe3 can do too. And they enjoy it.

It all boils down to if it sounds good or not, and that is infinitely subjective.

Great sounds, but the workflow just didn't click with me really. I prefer the older 'Factor' pedals if I'm perfectly honest.
Same here. The TimeFactor pedal - especially the vintage delay algorithm - will stay in my signal chain forever. it just has a certain sound that I haven't ever heard with any other device. I LOVE my AFIII - but the TimeFactor is pretty much always in one of the loops.

I owned two H9 pedals.
Sold them once I had the Axe FX III.
I don’t miss them at all.
The Axe can do everything, and the H9 distortion simulations were pretty bad.

The only thing I haven’t been able to do as well as the original is an Echorec. I bought a Dawner Prince Boonar a few years ago and it sounds right. I use it for Gilmore stuff. Axe can almost get there. Speaking of Gilmore, same situation with trying to get a Tube Driver emulation. Maybe I need to put an amp block in series? Regardless, two H9’s couldn’t do any of his as well.

They basically told me to throw my KRK monitors in the river. They would not help with a simple tweeter. Wouldn’t sell me a part, wouldn’t repair them at my own cost and wouldn’t even recommend a replacement. Wait until they fully get their policies into Mesa. They’ll ruin them, too.
That happened to me with KRK monitors. I basically had to seek out the specs via internet wayback machine and source my own replacement components.

Don't get me started on how Gibson didn’t help me with my Dusk Tiger when the fretboard noticeably shrunk after 5 years.

Sound bad to you.

A lot of people dislike heavy music, regardless of how much skill it takes to make. That’s the last I’ll say on it.
Right. So if it sounds bad to me, wouldn’t it make sense I don’t enjoy making it? It seems somewhat unnatural to deliberately set out to make bad (to the artists taste) music to begin with, then even further unnatural to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom