Eventide H9 - changing patches with SCENES

jiagap

Inspired
About 3 and half minutes into this very cool and inspiring video:

@2112 goes into changing the H9 patches via scenes. However, he does not get into the basic 101 of how to set it up. I have plugged the numbers into the Midi PCs page that he has, but the H9 patch does not change for me like it does for him when I switch scenes. Thus, I conclude I am missing out on something basic in my set up, either in the H9 or in the AX8. Any help to get me going would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you have the H9 set to the same midi channel that you have setup in the per-scene midi switches in the AX8? Do you have a midi cable connected from the AX8 Midi out/thru to the H9 midi in?

Do you have the H9 set to the same midi channel that you have setup in the per-scene midi switches in the AX8? Do you have a midi cable connected from the AX8 Midi out/thru to the H9 midi in?

I do have the midi cable connected as you ask; do I just need the one cable or do I need a cable to go back to the AX8? And how do I set the same midi channel that I have setup in the per-scene midi switches? In the H9 set up I see "Connect to Eventide Device via MIDI" and "Connect MIDI Device to Eventide Device." Neither are being intuitively helpful for me. Thanks for any help....

Ha, I got it. Figured out getting the Ch 1 to work. Now the only minor problem is if I plug in patch 42 in the AX8 it brings up 43 in the H9. One off. Surely there is one more simple setting I am missing........ yes?

Some units start their presets at 0 and some at 1. There is probably an offset parameter in the H9?

I read the H9 has a built-in MIDI map that results in PC 0 to preset 1, PC 1 to 2, etc. If there is no MIDI offset setting then you can customize the H9 map. It’s easier to just compensate by subtracting 1 from the PC number on the AX8.

hi Guys & hope alls well,
im in the same boat here. only i have a voes mc5 jr midi controller hooked into the midi in of the ax8. The Voes works flawlessly for me now for how i originally intended it to work. Which is using it as 5 presets until i understand the unit & this whole midi thing more. i can then use the 8 switches above the voes just for scenes and/or a "stomp box" mode on occasion. i did this by simply following Patrick (Voes) method on how to default preset the unit to presets by rebooting the MC5jr as stated in the owners manual ,just by default im of the impression that MC5jr is now channel 1 too & the H9 also wants Channel 1? is that right?. This is the way i initially got the H9 and AX8 talking to begin with a few days ago (it sounded amazing both together too!!) but after this boot/reset of the voes to presets that unit now wants channel one as well.
ive gone through all midi channels matching the ax8 & H9 as best as my primitive monkey brain will allow ( there was an old post on this forum saying they communicate on ch 16 also ? to no avail this end ) trying to get the two back on speaking terms,o but to date its like i havent even got the midi cables connected.No contact between the pair at all now, Nada,,
Any help on this issue will ne greatly appreciated,
cheers.

Last edited:
I have an AX8 and an H9 and a Voes mc5jr....
I have my AX8 set to be on midi channel 8, so in the VOES editor I set the switches (scenes in my case) to all be transmitting on midi channel 8.
For whatever reason (maybe someone's video) I have the H9 midi channel set to 1, so I set each scene up in the AX8 Scene/PC out to be on channel 1.

So for me (and it all works for me):
AX8 midi channel is 8
Voes Editor: all switches set to transmit on channel 8
My H9 is for whatever reason set to midi channel 1 (I use H9 Control editor for all of that) so in the AX8 Scenes/PC out settings all scenes (presets in your case) are set to channel 1.
Be aware that if you also use the press/hold on the Voes to get to the 2nd bank that you will probably want the very bottom field of the Voes editor (Switches 1>5) to be set to "once" (NOT "block"). I'm happy to post screenshots if that would help.
Rusty

Ha, I got it. Figured out getting the Ch 1 to work. Now the only minor problem is if I plug in patch 42 in the AX8 it brings up 43 in the H9. One off. Surely there is one more simple setting I am missing........ yes?
How did you make it work!? It is a nightmare for me! Could you be so kind to share your cables and general settings setup please?

AX8 midi out connected to H9 Midi in. No need to connect H9 midi out to anything.
See what midi channel your H9 is set to. H9 control app is very helpful.
Choose an AX8 patch, go to Scene 2 in AX8-Edit app, set midi channel to the same channel as the H9.
In the same window in AX8 Edit, set a patch # (PCC) that you want the H9 to go to to Scene 2.
Realize that the result (on H9) may be off by one, you can adjust that later.
In the same window in AX8 Edit, set a midi channel for Scene 3 and set a different patch # (PCC) for the H9 when scene 3 is engaged.
** Save the AX8 preset.
Now if you're in Scene 1 you'll get 'whatever' on the H9 but if you change to scene 2 the H9 preset should change
and if you go to scene 3 the H9 preset should change again.
again: the midi channel set in the scene setup window Must match the H9's midi channel.
Check that out, I'll keep an eye on this post.
Trust me, AX8-Edit is your friend and H9 Control app is your friend.
Rusty

while you're at it, in the AX8 Scene window, set every midi channel setting (for each of the
8 scenes) to the same midi channel as the H9.
Unless you have a complicated midi setup you might consider having the AX8 midi channel be #8
and the H9 midi channel be #9. Saves strain on the brain.
R

AX8 midi out connected to H9 Midi in. No need to connect H9 midi out to anything.
See what midi channel your H9 is set to. H9 control app is very helpful.
Choose an AX8 patch, go to Scene 2 in AX8-Edit app, set midi channel to the same channel as the H9.
In the same window in AX8 Edit, set a patch # (PCC) that you want the H9 to go to to Scene 2.
Realize that the result (on H9) may be off by one, you can adjust that later.
In the same window in AX8 Edit, set a midi channel for Scene 3 and set a different patch # (PCC) for the H9 when scene 3 is engaged.
** Save the AX8 preset.
Now if you're in Scene 1 you'll get 'whatever' on the H9 but if you change to scene 2 the H9 preset should change
and if you go to scene 3 the H9 preset should change again.
again: the midi channel set in the scene setup window Must match the H9's midi channel.
Check that out, I'll keep an eye on this post.
Trust me, AX8-Edit is your friend and H9 Control app is your friend.
Rusty
Rusty, YOU are my friend! Thank you very much!

... I just looked at H9 Control for my two H9's...
Looks like ALL you need to do is connect H9 Control to your H9,
go into "Pedal Settings", set the Midi channel for the H9.
I think you DON'T have to go into Settings for anything, regardless of what one
the items may make you think.
So that's for the H9 setup with the Control app.
*** All the other things in my previous post still apply.
After you get things working you can tool around in PCC receive map on the H9 to
ensure that, for example, when the H9 gets PCC #1 that it engages patch #1 on the H9 (not patch #2).
R

... I just looked at H9 Control for my two H9's...
Looks like ALL you need to do is connect H9 Control to your H9,
go into "Pedal Settings", set the Midi channel for the H9.
I think you DON'T have to go into Settings for anything, regardless of what one
the items may make you think.
So that's for the H9 setup with the Control app.
*** All the other things in my previous post still apply.
After you get things working you can tool around in PCC receive map on the H9 to
ensure that, for example, when the H9 gets PCC #1 that it engages patch #1 on the H9 (not patch #2).
R
Interesting!
No clock settings, no kill dry mode, no nothing. Just setup the midi channel then.

Re: the cables (apart from the midi ones)

AX8 fx send into H9 input 1
AX8 fx return into H9 output 1
Guitar cable goes to AX8 instrument

Right?

Attachments

• 20210326_140607.jpg
    20210326_140607.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Yes and Yes and Yes

Oops forgot about kill dry... I DO have it set to kill dry

Clock: I think that AX8 does not output clock.
I have a Disaster Area Smartclock3 that spits clock to about six different things...
Their very small MidiBaby easily fits on a board...
FWIW, my MidiBaby spits clock to the Smartclock which then sends clock to multiple
boxes (some with DIN midi in, some with a 1/4" input for tap, like a Canyon or a Walrus monument, etc)

So my Smartclock sends clock to my AX8 and to the connected H9...
so you'd probably need a midi merge, like from midi solutions to merge the the PCC midi out from the AX8 with some clock source
OR I think some people maybe have the H9 tap be the clock source and it can send clock to the AX8? Don't know much about that.

Rusty

I also have an expression pedal connected to the AX8 that is a modifier for FX loop LEVEL, so it controls
the level of the H9 in the FX loop.
Nice to have a Barn3Ox9 on the H9... I have that setup for preset inc/dec and have a little Tesla tap switch
connected to the Ox9 to engage/disengage the performance switch on the H9... Allows reverb freeze, delay repeat, etc
Rusty

Yes and Yes and Yes

Oops forgot about kill dry... I DO have it set to kill dry

Clock: I think that AX8 does not output clock.
I have a Disaster Area Smartclock3 that spits clock to about six different things...
Their very small MidiBaby easily fits on a board...
FWIW, my MidiBaby spits clock to the Smartclock which then sends clock to multiple
boxes (some with DIN midi in, some with a 1/4" input for tap, like a Canyon or a Walrus monument, etc)

So my Smartclock sends clock to my AX8 and to the connected H9...
so you'd probably need a midi merge, like from midi solutions to merge the the PCC midi out from the AX8 with some clock source
OR I think some people maybe have the H9 tap be the clock source and it can send clock to the AX8? Don't know much about that.

Rusty
Thanks Rusty you are really a pro. I tried all the above and I only get the sound of the AX8. The midi settings do work (I can change H9 presets through AX8 scenes. No H9 sound tho...

Is the FX loop block inserted in the AX8 preset and set to "engaged/on" ? and level is up on the FX loop block?
Turn any modifier off in the FX loop settings for now in case you have a connected expr pedal somehow keeping the FX loop level down.
I have my FX loop block in parallel with the AX8 delay block. I have bypass set to mute on the FX loop, too.

Attachments

• for fran.JPG
    for fran.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Is the FX loop block inserted in the AX8 preset and set to "engaged/on" ? and level is up on the FX loop block?
Turn any modifier off in the FX loop settings for now in case you have a connected expr pedal somehow keeping the FX loop level down.
I have my FX loop block in parallel with the AX8 delay block. I have bypass set to mute on the FX loop, too.
Cables are fine. It MUST be the FX Loop block! I will give it another go. Rusty... You are a real gentleman. I don't know how to thank you enough.

Back
Top Bottom